1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Charlton Athletic V PNE

Discussion in 'Preston' started by theflyingplumber, Sep 12, 2011.

1. smith_pne

smith_pne New Member

I was at the game last night, a nice local one for me as I livel only 15mins down the road by Train!
    Would agree with most of the comments made on the commentary, although no mention of Coutts and for me his was Man of the Match! Tireless running throughout, even in injury time, and very tricky on the ball. Carlisle looked solid although I feared the worst in one rush of blood when he went diving in! Fortunately there was no contact and although the Charlton lad was released, Morgan came across and covered well.
    Some sublime one and two touch football at times, stepovers, great to watch. A really enjoyable night.
    Was a bit disappointed by Juv, but it's early days yet and he had a tough job up top on his own.
    Decent turn out, about 300 I reckon. As an aside, does anyone know how many we have going to Brentford.

2. theflyingplumber

Afternoon Smith_pne...<ok> and many thanks for allowing us to share in your live match experience. Also welcome to not606.

Pleased that you enjoyed the game and was able to see Northend put in a very decent performance and be able to return home with a smile on your face.

Interesting comments you make about Coutts and his MOTM performance. Not unduly surprised to be honest as he is a skillful player and is proving to be a very valuable member of the North End team. He has the ability to make things happen and as you make the point has a great engine and delivers 100% effort in every game. He does tend to be one of those players whose ability and contribution can go unnoticed by some supporters. Peterborough have been trying very hard to take him from PNE, but all their attempts have been given short thrift by the PNE management so far.
    Carlisle does appear to be guilty of making one bad mistake during a game (Burnley fans did warn that this is the case), but other than that is pretty solid in defence.
    Juv is still very young and still coming to terms with life in English football, but Phil Brown is confident that he has a lot to offer and given time will become a valuable asset to PNE. I suspect that having to play up front on your own is not the ideal situation to for making your debut. I was a bit surprised to find that many fans had made the trip down there to support the team on a Tuesday night, especially with another trip down there on Saturday, every credit to them.

I think that Northend will have a very good following down to Brentford, the fans who support Northend away from home are continuing to grow and do make their presence felt during the games. Difficult to put a figure on Saturdays support but it will be a lot more than were there last night.

Hope you can get to the Brentford game and PNE can deliver the same as last night..<ok>

:)

3. smith_pne

smith_pne New Member

Cheers Plumbs
    I used to contribute on BBC 606, and although I have been following this since I thought it was time to make some contribution!
    I live in Kent and go to 4/5 home games a season, and then about 10-12 away. Ones like last night and London are a massive bonus and I am there without fail. Usually try and get a mate or three along too!
    Agree with all your comments. I have to say, I wasnt sure on Coutts previously but he looks a real asset this season.
    It was brilliant to see that we have a decent "second team" and they played superbly. Interesting that there seems to be a stlye of play and mentality embedded in the club now, no matter who the personnel are. A real winning mentality too. All brilliant stuff.
    Even Morgan (who I have been disappointed by for a long time) had a good game last night. I just worry about his distribution and he seems poor in 1:1 situations, doesnt get close enough for my liking and lets players get a run on him. he is his own worst enemy at times, but showed last night he can potentially do a job if the need arises.
    Looking forward to Saturday, our biggest test of the season so far. Will be a great atmosphere in the away end (as always) I am sure, especially with the terracing section!

4. tommylion

tommylion Active Member

Spot on Chrissy wissy.....well done 'top of the ladder'

5. theflyingplumber

I realy believe that Phil Brown's hardest task, has been replacing the losing mentality by a winning one. Had he arrived say a month earlier than he did I feel sure PNE would not have gone down. The young players have helped enormously as they unlike the senior player had this winning mentality in their youth team due to their successes. Phil Brown is a bit of a character (football needs them) and although given to BS....ing at times is very positive and exuberant which has rubbed off on the players and most of the fans. The atmosphere has changed around Deepdale now long may it last.
    Morgan can lose his opponent and is lacking pace which is not a great combination for the position he plays, and PB has noted this and why Morgan is no longer in the team. Morgan and Carlisle to a lesser degree do need (and should have) a defensive midfielder sitting in front of them to give them some protection, to prevent the opposition running straight at the centre of defence. This did not happen with DF in charge and one of the main reasons why PNE conceded so many goals under his tenure.
    PNE have still got Gray and Smith to regain full fitness and when they do they will add even more depth to the squad, as will new signing Daley when he is considered match fit. Also we have Daniel Devine to return when he gets over his broken jaw injury so things are looking very good indeed all round at the moment.

You are one of the Northend supporters who have my utmost respect and hopefully the club feel the same way, exiled Prestonians who can and do continue to follow the team such as yourself are worth their weight in gold. Not that it matters at all but did you use the same username on 606 when you contributed, not sure but I seem to recall a Smith coming on line.

It should be great on the terracing for the PNE fans who will make themselves heard...enjoy..<ok>

:)

6. smith_pne

smith_pne New Member

Morning Plumbs,
    Yes mate thats right, same username on 606.
    Completely agree with all your points, and the rejuvenation that PB and BH have brought it sublime!
    Cant wait for Saturday!