1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Charlton Athletic @ The Valley 20/10/2015

Discussion in 'Preston' started by themaclad, Oct 18, 2015.

1. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

The first of two lengthy road trips in the space of four days following up Tuesday's trip to the Valley with a trip to Brighton. First up though Charlton having started the season in great style they have not won a game since they beat Peterborough on 25/8/2015, seven league games without a win and dropping down the table like a stone, now could be the ideal time to play them.
    There seems to be a bit of tension building at the Valley mainly against the owner of the club who appears to be trying to turn them into a Belgium club.
    Yesterday they lost at Reading and had defender Bauer sent off and lost to a Nick Blackman goal 14 minutes from time. The only players I recognise in the team that played yesterday are Nick Pope the keeper and long serving Johnnie Jackson who is a decent player at this level.
    Last visit result in a 5-2 defeat under Phil Brown with the dwarf Kaemar Daley scoring for us with a overhead kick, think it was his only goal for us.
    Injuries are starting to hamper us looks like Davies will be recalled from his loan spell at Southport and there is every possibility he will play given the injury o Clarke, Grayson did indicate that we may have to go to the loan market if Clarke's injury is serious.
    Doyle can play after missing out against his parent club so will give us extra options up front. Personal view Browne should play gives us more speed in midfield. Does not promise a classic but as I said possibly best time to play them, first visit to the Valley for me.

2. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

They say all games in the Championship are tough well last night's 3-0 win against a very poor Charlton side wasn't, the Addicks were simply blown away from the very start and when the third goal went in it is probably safe to say that some of them threw in the towel. The home side were booed off at half time and at full time by the loyal home faithful who had not already left.
    A pretty decent journey down to South London with only one slight hold up, my first visit to the Valley sadly I missed the Who by 40 years. Grayson picked an attacking line up which made sense given the lack of a regular back four due to injuries although Huntington made the substitutes bench. North End were on the front foot the beginning, Reach picking up a misdirected pass in midfield charging towards the box before being brought down. Even from where I sat Gallagher had a massive target to pick from and his free kick did not miss one up after two minutes SIMPLES.
    Minutes later Browne was also brought down on the edge of the box, Gallagher's shot hit the wall and was cleared. North End were passing the ball about the superb pitch using the wings were Reach was having a field day against the Charlton defence. Johnson had a chance to add a second but his shot was well saved by Pope. As for Charlton they offered little in attack although the hard working Watt worked his socks off for little reward.
    North End needed a second to give them a bit of breathing space and it arrived nine minutes from half time when a corner was only half cleared to Gallagher who from an acute angle blitzed the ball into the net, cracking goal.
    Before half time Browne had also hit the bar with a header but two up at half time and cruising, hopefully we wouldn't collapse as we did at Brentford a few weeks back.
    Early Charlton pressure came to nothing before North End added a third when the dreadlocked one (Johnson) curled in a third from just outside the box, once the third went in it was basically game over. The remainder of the game was basically a training session as North End passed the ball around without any pressure, the only harsh thing to say is that we could have had more goals,Johnson and Keane twice wasted really good opportunities to win by an even bigger margin.
    The home support were less than impressed however the 481 who made the trip were how shall we say,"Over the moon"

Charlton Athletic 0 Preston North End 3 Att 13586

"I always think positive. When we have an 11 with balance, and our good players on the pitch, we'll get results.

"No (it's not my toughest period as a manager). I've been managing for 15 years, and during those 15 years I've had a lot of obstacles.

"Now's the time for the club to be together - the fans, the players, the staff - this is the only way to come back. We will do everything to do that on Saturday."

Preston manager Simon Grayson:

"Games like this boost your belief and confidence.

"I told the players to this use a springboard. There will be highs and lows throughout the division.

"We feel we have put together a squad with quality. It will be nice when the strikers start scoring as well."

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  3. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

You are correct. Charlton are a poor side. To lose against a NE side weakened by so many injuries is firing squad tie for their manager. What he said is absolute rubbish. SG had a weakened team with players out of position and not, so far, on form, but his team banged in 3 at a canter.