1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Charlie Austin under police investigation

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Feb 7, 2017.

1. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

So do mine. In fact bike lights are much, much better since LED bulbs became available. My rear light flashes so brightly that a friend of mine pulled up beside me and asked if I had a different setting because it was dazzling him. I did. The front light is so bright that it just about lights up traffic signs even 100 yards away. This all from a cheap set bought off ebay for little more than a fiver. They don't overly drain rechargeable batteries either.

I too hope the cyclist recovers.

Now to ask MY QUESTION for the THIRD TIME. Why does CHARLIE AUSTIN WEAR BANDAGES on his arms when he plays football.? It's not a quiz. I want to know. [Capitals are used to attract your attention].

2. TheSecondStain

I think you're a little out of date. You want to check out bike lights of today. Some are so bright they dazzle. No doubt that's wrong too.

3. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Quite a few cyclists now wear head lights.
    It looked odd seeing one approaching for the first time. Looked like they were on a penny farthing from a distance

4. TBD

TBD Active Member

Siggh, what about all the tossers in cars who feel they can act aggressively towards cyclists and put cyclists lives at risks?? Cycling is beneficial to the environment, is a very safe mode of transport and has so many benefits over driving. Why can't people wear lycra if they want to when the cycle (it makes it more comfortable and increases efficiency). Anyway I guess this is off topic but just annoys me when people always make digs at cyclist. I think the problem is people view cycling as some sort of annoying niche activity, rather than a brilliant mode of transport which could transform the places we live in.

5. TBD

TBD Active Member

Another point re owning the road. Such a high proportion of drivers do that!! Most of the time when a cyclist is being assertive on the road it's them being proactive to protect themselves.

6. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Can't we leave the cyclists v drivers debate to the Daily Echo website?

KillerCephalopod likes this.
  7. TBD

TBD Active Member

Fair enough.

8. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Before I moved to Mallorca, I had a bicycle and used the Fareham-Gosport busway to get to the ferry, so there was very little in the way of traffic other than the bus and as a cyclist you keep well clear of them. I had my lights and reflective vest, and at times flourescent pink socks!!!
    On a serioius note some cyclists and motorists need educating.

9. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Here in Mallorca there are legions of cyclists doing their training for the serious events later in the year. On Saturday and Sunday hordes of them cycle around the Tramontana and inevitably there is the occasional conflict and fatal accident. Education is needed here as well for all road users.

10. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

General rule...always drive/cycle as if everyone else is an idiot....especially if they are in a 4x4.

shoot_spiderman likes this.

11. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Or in a BMW or Audi

12. fran-MLs little camera

Let's face it....apart from me and you they are all tossers.*

*and not so sure about you.

13. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about Charlie's woes but more importantly, I hope the cyclist recovers.

I may have mentioned this before but a few years ago I was waiting at Foyes Corner (a traffic light governed crossroads if you don't know it. And even if you do).

Lovely sunny summer's day, window open. Traffic was crossing our road on a green light. From the other direction a cyclist appeared and shot through the red light, straight in front of a white van travelling at about 20mph. The driver hit the brakes, the bike flew about twenty feet, the cyclist hit the deck. He jumped up clearly utterly unhurt, picked up the mortal remains of the bike and in response to the driver asking him if he was OK said "Yeah, don't worry, I won't sue". The lights had changed by then and I was setting off but the van driver sounded like he was making his views pretty plain about that little promise.

Vin

14. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  15. Lff

Lff Well-Known Member

I've been cycling (and motorbiking) on and off for years and whilst I've encountered plenty of drivers who weren't aware of my existence I've never encountered one who has actively been aggressive towards me. I have however, come across many absolute nutters on pushbikes and motorbikes who are basically an accident waiting to happen. One of my pet hates at the moment are cyclists who insist on riding on the road when there is an adjacent cycle path. I have nothing against bikes or the sensible users.

16. holierthanthou

holierthanthou Active Member

Most cycle paths are rubbish. And we're allowed on roads, just the same as cars/horses/caravans.

TBD likes this.
  17. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

Should this thread be renamed? Bikes v Cars have your say, should cover it.

18. fran-MLs little camera

OK, but not pavements. Cyclists sometimes assume that pedestrians will keep moving in the same way that vehicles generally do, but walkers stop suddenly and even step back to look at a shop window without indicating. Fine if they just jostle another pedestrian...not fun if a bike runs into them. Had the bruises to prove it.

19. fran-MLs little camera

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/sa...yclist_says_crash__changed_his_life_/?ref=rss

Charlie Austin admitted driving without care and attention, but cyclist (who had just got the bike and was not wearing a helmet) was charged with going through a red traffic light. He has serious back and head injuries and he says it has changed his life...just shows how a moment of carelessness can cost dearly and, sadly, you can't just roll back the clock.

20. TheSecondStain

Whilst I have every sympathy for the cyclist [I am one myself, and a motorcyclist, and a car driver], he gets a little pious, stating that it's too dangerous to cycle on the roads. No it isn't. He made an error of judgement, and that's why it became dangerous. His episode shouldn't condemn the whole practice of cycling. Just don't take chances with car drivers. There are always going to be a proportion who aren't at their level best attention, cocooned as they are, so don't run the risk. Otherwise, enjoy your cycling and ride safe.