1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Championship wage cap to be implemented

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Jerel Ifil, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Jerel Ifil

Jerel Ifil Well-Known Member

2. Monster-Leeds - I-Ate-A-Bee

dont forget that juicy lot in wales!! bellamy for me ruined the championship last year!! they wanted the glory thinking they didnt have to compete.

3. Jerel Ifil

You'd hope they enforce it strictly as well with points deductions for teams spending beyond their means. I like the sound of this Greg Clarke guy:

Let's hope his plans come to fruition and work out, then, you never know, the Premiership might even follow and have some sanity restored to it.

4. Simon21-LUFC

Simon21-LUFC Well-Known Member

Would benefit us in relation to Cardiff etc. aswell. Hopefully it will also stop players turning us down because they can get better wages elsewhere.

5. Monster-Leeds - I-Ate-A-Bee

going up through league 1 has opened my eyes in terms of finance! your on a budget and youve to stick with it! Infact the days of spending 7-10-15 mill for us are such a distant for me that when i see a sum of 1-2 mill for a fee linked to leeds united i tend to think wow. he much!!!

Mad i tell you!!

6. Monster-Leeds - I-Ate-A-Bee

The days of saying wow i wanna play for leeds united has seriously long gone!! Soon as the green is pitched to them, then its seee ya

7. MarkoLUFC

MarkoLUFC Well-Known Member

Wage cap to 60% turnover basically = Leeds United success. Makes me happy but at the same time kind of sad, I'd quite like to be the "financial underdog" with no outside investment completely overturning the "big boys" with megabucks, showing them how it's done. Oh well, I'll take winning the league by rules that basically dictate we are the most powerful club in the league.

8. Jerel Ifil

They say they'll need a six month period to evaluate it so I guess it won't take effect until the season after next. It should definitely be third time lucky if we don't get promoted this time round.

9. MarkoLUFC

Exactly, if we don't beat the "financially superior" opposition this time (which I totally expect we will, I see no reason we won't get auto this season) then after that we will be the most powerful club in the league, should this take effect. Then we'll get back to the PL, and we'll be playing with the big boys again, stirring up s**t and causing havoc. Good times :)

10. LeakyLeeds

LeakyLeeds Member

While I would love for that to be true I don't exactly see it. Will people want to play for Leeds knowing all of the grief and hassle that goes with it? The crap that you have to put up with from a Chairman that loves the sound of his own voice? Probably not.

11. bucks_is_leeds

bucks_is_leeds Jonny big spuds
    Forum Moderator

how does the Paracute payments ruling fit into it all then? I mean if you have someone on a 3 year deal & are relagated from the prem theres a good chance your turnover wont be covering your there wages but theres still a contract to honour? Am i missing the point here or have they yet to iron these kind of details out? :undecided:

12. coalville-white

The clubs comming down from the premiership will still have an advantage over long established championship sides as the parachute payments will be taken as part of revenue turnover .
    A good example would be Blackpool who will struggle to get 12,000 in the championship but will have a larger revenue turnover than Leeds with crowds of 27000 as a result of these payments.

13. MarkoLUFC

Wasn't Leeds revenue turnover for the last financial year something like £23 million? That would mean you're saying Blackpool probably have a higher turnover than £7 million without the parachute payment, with awful turnouts at probably meagre ticket prices, as well as very little merchandise sales.

14. Jerel Ifil

I think that's what the six month evaluation period's there for. I'd hope they deduct points proportionate to how much higher than 60% the offending parties spend.

Parachute payments are £5m a year. Like Clarke says on the link in my OP, they don't make that much difference anyway, the clubs tend to use them just to pay off debt, they aren't having the terrible effect we all thought they would. Not saying I'm a fan of them but £5m won't bolster turnover that significantly.

15. MarkoLUFC

It's actually £16 mill for the first 2 seasons and £8 mill for the second 2 seasons.

16. Jerel Ifil

Shiiiiiit, I thought it was £15m in three installments of £5m. We'll see how the FL deal with it anyway, it shouldn't make make or break any team's chances of promotion as most of the relegated clubs are way above the 60% threshold so it's hardly carte blanche for them to keep getting £30kpw players.

17. MarkoLUFC

They'll have to be extremely careful with their finances, especially the smaller clubs. I'd imagine smaller clubs like Blackpool merely end up on a somewhat level playing field with Leeds with parachute payments, although the bigger clubs will obviously have a significant advantage.

18. leedsmadness

leedsmadness Member

Yorkshire Evening Post states a number of championship clubs wage bill are higher than there income, They are proposing a salary cap for league 1, what i didn't realise is that league 2 already have a salary according to the article. The Prem already faces a cap of sorts for Champions league club, not sure when it comes into force, next couple of years i think.

They should bring it in for ALL football clubs. SOONER THE BETTER, then greedy footballers wont be able to hold clubs to ransom.:bandit:

19. bucks_is_leeds

bucks_is_leeds Jonny big spuds
    Forum Moderator

interesting points raised there lads <ok> i guess we will just have to wait and see

20. coalville-white

Clubs will get around it somehow they will be looking for a loop hole I beleive the taxmans going after clubs who pay a large percentage of a players wage as image rights in off shore accounts to get arround paying tax in the uk. The FL will have to ensure that these so called rights are part of the wage bill when applying the new rules ..