1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Championship dark horse

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Oldsparkey, Jul 30, 2016.

1. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

How did today go?.....................<whistle>

2. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just wondering how did Huddersfield do again today and who are top of the league?........<whistle><whistle>

3. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Don't know. Please tell us. <whistle>

4. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

OS it's a marathon not a sprint<whistle>

5. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Fancy I've heard that on here before somewhere. <whistle>

6. ninian opinion

Funnily enough I said that to my Bristol city mate last week:1980_boogie_down:

7. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Hey - how did Huddersfield do again yesterday and who's top of the league?......................<whistle>

Nin - I think the Wurzels were playing Villa - how did they do?............:emoticon-0105-wink:

8. mustyfrog

mustyfrog Well-Known Member

regarding Aaron Mooy, OS, I mentioned on the Swans page last season that he was the best Aussie by a mile still playing over here and hoped he would go to a club where he would be playing every week (Swans Scouts, do your job for once). Well, as you said, Man City got him (disappointed until I read he was going on loan to Huddersfield) who are my smokie for a good season.

Oldsparkey likes this.
  9. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Musty - after jacking in the daily slog I've had more time on my hands this past couple of years. I've enjoyed a lot of the A League games streamed live over here. Some great stuff to watch and Mooy was an obvious class act for Melbourne City.

I knew Man City and Melbourne were sister clubs with the same owner and wasn't surprised to see them pinch him this summer. If he'd gone to any of a dozen other Prem clubs (you lot included) he'd be playing regular in the Prem for them this season.

The only reason he's gone out on a season long loan to Huddersfield is the sheer money power of Man City who can splash the cash and virtually get who they like.

Aaron Mooy is Prem quality no question, and having a player like that at a well managed Championship club will make a huge difference - that's why I said at the start of this I think they'll be up there top 6 this year.

mustyfrog likes this.
  10. mustyfrog

agree with everything you said above there OS. I can understand whu City would not loan him to another PL club however it would have been nice seeing him for maybe a WBA, Swans, Palace or the likes and test his mettle every week. I am under no illusions that he will never get a game at City, another case I think of them buying players so other clubs do not get them eg Bony (more money than sense imo)

Oldsparkey likes this.

11. suprimir

suprimir Active Member

The player you mean. They choose to play at these places because 1. They think they are better than they are or 2. They put money ahead of playing. The player who chooses that situation is more to blame than the club that offers it.

12. mustyfrog

13. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

I agree the lure of money at a big hitter like Man City is affecting many a player's judgement when it comes to their career in the game. It would take a very level headed youngster to reject clubs with massive financial clout like Man City, Man U or Chelsea when they come calling.

It's the same abroad with the likes of Barca, Real, PSG and others wielding the same sort of power with which others can't hope to compete.

Mooy must have known he wouldn't figure in Man City's immediate plans when he came over, but as Musty suggests, maybe contractual agreements between Sheik Mansour's clubs meant the move was inevitable.

Anyway, back to the subject and that doesn't alter Mooy's ability as a player and Huddersfield have got a gem in their side that will make a huge difference to their season. One player doesn't make a successful team but with Wagner managing them as well, they've certainly started off on the right road.

mustyfrog likes this.
  14. ninian opinion

I only pointed out that Holloway had them down as relegation favourites.

I still reckon Villa will be top 6. I did also state that Brizzle were my outside tip for top 6.

Its a marathon not a sprint as they say.

15. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Nin - I wasn't having a pop at your post. I like Holloway but couldn't eat a whole one.......<laugh>

In fact I was pointing out to anyone looking at this thread that both my prediction (Huddersfield) and yours (Wurzels) for a top 6 finish are both doing well at the moment.

I also agree that Villa will finish a lot higher than they are now, possibly one of my top 6 candidates outside the obvious Newcastle/Norwich popular choices.

16. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

OK - how did Huddersfield do again today and who scored their goal?............and who's top of the division?.......<whistle>

I'm sure they'll lose one day but they've got points on the board already that no one can take away.

17. ninian opinion

OS they're going great. Fair play.

Barnsley another dark horse doing well.

As for us well I started a thread on dark days ahead with a couple of pivotal games on the horizon.

18. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Nin - I watched Mooy play two full internationals for the Aussies all over the world this past fortnight and he comes back in and does that.

The bloke is going to drive them toward the Prem this season - he's probably the best player of his type in this division.

19. ninian opinion

What happened at Brighton then<whistle>

20. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

First defeat of the season and still clear at the top of the league............:emoticon-0173-middl

Apart from you, I note nobody else has had a stab at it in the pre-season "dark horse prediction stakes".

Probably waiting till Christmas to see how things are going - hindsight is a wonderful thing.......<whistle>