1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Chairman Notes

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious, May 9, 2011.

1. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

I'm sure most have read this, but as someone who hasn't bought the Valley Review since Alex Song appeared on the front (well maybe not him, but from around that time :wink:) - I found some of what Slater said to be very interesting.

Particularly liked his comment regarding not only building a team for League One, but also for The Championship. This is exactly the right mindset to have, and perhaps something we didn't think about last August? The season before was fine as that squad containing the Nicky Bailey and Jonjo's of the world could have competed in the second tier, despite the humiliating relegation season before hand. One of those things I suppose.

Hopefully it also means no more journeymen. Players who we will be looking to sign and invest 2-3 years worth of money in to, in a bid to get back up. Squads aren't built on 1 year deals- the forever chopping and changing that brings doesn't bring the holy grail of football, stability.

Interesting point that we will be starting the season on a sounder financial front as well. Means we can all wear our mankinis, sipping mojito's whilst on our summer breaks not having to worry what tomorrow will bring for the club.

Also the shout outs to Wagstaff, Daily, and Johnnie Jackson sounded very genuine and humerous re JJ.

2. The Kish

The Kish Well-Known Member

He's got a touch of the Tony Blair about him hasn't he? Seems likeable and says the right things, but I don't believe a word he says... Time will tell - Although I can see similarities between the likes of us and Norwich/Southampton, especially now we've got a 20 goals a season striker...

For me it is imperitive to jkeep some consistency amongst this seasons squas and next, ie tie down Racon and Semedo and Dailly and Llera and add others; a whole new squad like the past 2 seasons isn't going to help!!

3. houndal

houndal Member

Super - I will remind you of your post when Powell proudly announces he has retained Dailly for another year. Or in other words we have no intention at all of going for promotion next year.

4. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

I'm happy with Dailly H, he seems well like by other players, is OK at this level (better than OK last season), a good influence on other players with his attitude to training and wants to do some player/coaching I understand.

Yes, happy with Dailly.

5. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Agree with AHLL- Daily is supposedly going be signed on in a coaching/player role, which I'm happy about. I agree that come August, if he is still our number 1 centre back then that will be a BIG concern, but the guy is apparently a class act on the training ground and very eager to help not only the youngsters but also the club in any way he can.