1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Celta Vigo v Manchester United | Europa League | Semi-Final | First Leg

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Matth_2014, May 3, 2017.

1. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

So what is the Jose grand plan ??
    Finish 5th in the PL, force the Goons into 6th place, and then win the EL ?? :)

2. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

We've got to target both, simple as. He needs to stop whining about fixtures and get on with it.

If we get the EL and third or fourth one of Liverpool or City does not get champions league football. We owe it to ourselves to ensure that happens.

glazerfodder likes this.
  3. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

It's not done with yet. Oh and your comment is a shower of bollocks as well <ok>

4. Red Hadron Collider

WATCH MY LIPS. NO WE'RE NOT <doh>

5. Red Hadron Collider

<laugh>

6. Red Hadron Collider

<laugh> <laugh> <laugh>

7. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

We're one point behind third and fourth (assuming we win the game in hand) so if fourth is attainable, so is third.

8. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

The point is that despite JM bleating about it he is focusing on both targets. And I am not sure that's the right thing anymore.

I think that sadly we have to drop the top 4 target IF (?) our players (now including rashford and Young) are falling like ninepins. We have to face reality and I'd rather a very good chance for one trophy and a cl place than also chasing a very hard target which will affect the other one.

9. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

We've got an advantage, admittedly not much of one, going into our home leg. Based on last night I would think we are very unlikely to lose at home to Celta Vigo.

Other than that it's the final, which is after the premier league has ended. We absolutely have to keep trying to get into the top four. There's not much glory in fourth place I admit but it would come with the bonus of depriving City or Liverpool of CL next season.

If we mathematically can't get it after Arsenal and Spurs games then by all means we ease off against Southampton and Palace prior to the (possible) final.

My son will be dead chuffed with that, we're going to the Palace game and a partial reserve team won't be as exciting.

10. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

WTF - any game is winnable, why on earth is there so much negativity about these last few games. Anything can happen. If we rest players those that come in might play a blinder, there could be red cards for the Gooners ........... it isn't over until it's over.

11. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Usual 3 points for you guys on Sunday then as the mere sight of Manchester United makes Wenger quiver in his shoes!!

12. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Why are you worried about Arsenal. They're out of it now.

13. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Truth hurts fella. Deal with it <ok>

14. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Whilst I agree with much of that, I'm afraid anything can't happen! We can pretty much be assured it will most likely be draws!!

15. Red Hadron Collider

How glib and cliched. You haven't gifted us anything. We're currently in the league positions we deserve to be in - all of us. We had a great first part of the season and fell apart in January. You've been mundane all the way through.

16. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Nothing is set in stone, we're more than capable of ****ing this up and I'd like a little help from yourselves and the Gooners.

17. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That's my thoughts as well. Go balls out to beat Arsenal and Spurs then see where we stand. Hopefully City or Liverpool will drop points over that same period, but their fixtures are a piece of piss in comparison so can't see it happening. Then take stock before the Saints and Palace games - if we are still there or thereabouts then stay focused on the league, if not switch a bit of focus to the EL.

Either way, I'm never convinced it's a good idea to go for a full reserve team right before a big final. If anything you want to keep the players focused and ready, not have them lazing around and switching off right before the game. Rarely helped us much in the CL in the past imo.

18. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I've never said you don't deserve to be there <doh> It is possible to be gifted the position by your rivals underperforming and taking advantage of that, whilst being slightly less lacklustre than they are. Doesnt mean you don't deserve to be there ffs. We've had a club record in terms of draws this season. It's been a unique set of circumstances but you'll get top 4 because you've been slightly less **** than us. All hail Kloppyflop!

19. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

That's a load of bollocks mate. And you know it. Kloppyflop has been **** in League Cup and the FA Cup. He didn't even have a single European match to play. United played nearly double the number of matches the RS played. Yet they are only 4 points ahead and played one game more. In terms of performance we have been better than our results suggest. No one else fault except United 's sure but that does not indicate that we are more **** than the RS <doh>

Are you an RS sympathiser?? <whistle>

Diego likes this.
  20. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Our performances have been decidely mediocre for large parts of the season, for the reasons I've stated many times. People equate performance with fancy football but that's not what I'm talking about at all. We've improved considerably under Mourinho but there are significant parts of our game that have been poor. A club record on draws isnt just a fluke. Nor was it down to some simple notion that we "just didn't finish our chances" for 17 games. The irony is that, that's the bollox Liverpool fans have been spouting to excuse their mediocrity since Houlier right the way up to Kloppy - a delusion the rest of us used to mock. It makes me cringe to hear United fans coming out with the same crap tbh.

As far as the league is concerned Liverpool have been slightly less **** mediocre than us this season. Is that better? <whistle>