1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Catch up

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by BrightredRickster, Mar 18, 2017.

1. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

I have just been watching the match for the first time on player.
    Just a couple of things
    O'Neil for me was man of the match. He took control of that situation down by the corner flag just after the match recommenced, and it was his cool head and experience that propelled City into a two goal lead in a bullying first half.
    That was a great relief to see, that a Lee Johnson side can bully the opposition in that way
    And make no mistake. Huddersfield are in 3rd place because they are a very dangerous side. Their movement was fluid, they are very savvy with tactics and game management, they are good on the ball, and they have players who can hurt you in a heart beat. For a side that lost 4-0 they were very impressive. Which makes City's performance all the more outstanding.

We are going to miss Tammy Abraham, but England is waiting, and he will deliver. It makes our deals this summer all the more important to bring in a couple of young strikers who can fill his boots. We will see if Engval is not at the races, and only Engval can decide that.

Tomlin is back to his best. he looks fit (slim !) and sharp as f_ck. And we all know what a fit Tommo can bring to the side.
    Flint is a helluva player, especially when we are on the up. I think he revels in the adrenalin of the side being on a roll, and gets bogged down by the crap of losing and negativity. Much the same as any other player, but with him it is key.

All in all, it looked like we were the side on the way to the Premiership, and if we can learn the lessons of this season and can put those lessons to good use next term then it could still happen.

Which brings me to Lee Johnson.
    Lee needs to learn, and learn fast. He is still young for a Championship manager, but age isn't everything. Ability steps in somewhere. Its up to LJ to prove he has that ability by grinding out results. Football at that level is all about results, and they come from scoring goals. Obvious I know, but designing and training a side to WIN in whatever circumstances is what turns the Lee Johnsons into Alex Fergussons, Don Revies, Brian Cloughs. Its up to him, but I can't see LJ getting the license for failure next term that he has had this season, so its time to shape up or f-ck off.
    4 more wins in our next 6 games and I think I will sit a lot more comfortably with LJ in charge, because it will reassure me (and i am sure many others too) that he has the ability to take us where we want to go. It will also prove that he is more than just a poser.

For me, the rest of the season is not just about staying in the Championship, its about Lee Johnson becoming the real deal, because that determines wether he is a deal at all in the future.

PS Great to see LJ's Dad got through his ordeal. Get well soon Gazza

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  2. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

They looked like a different team than the one I was expecting based on previous reports and I liked the look of what I saw and wonder where the hell they've been for the other part of the season. Despite only having 38% of the possession we still came away with a 4-0 win and therefore we must have shut down most, if not all, of their time on the ball and kept them at bay in their own half. It almost seemed that we had a game plan in place and carried out to it's full extent and every player played their part in an extremely vital win and spirit booster. My thoughts on Lee will remain on ice until the end of the season if we continue the trend that may have become apparent last night. Keep it up lads.