1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Carroll - The first interview

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Bozz, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Bozz

Bozz Well-Known Member

After finishing his first session at Melwood and meeting his new teammates, Andy Carroll sat down with the club's official website to give his first interview as a Liverpool player.

Welcome to Liverpool Football Club, how does it feel to be here?

It's just a great feeling. Liverpool is a massive club and it's nice to be wanted by a club like this, never mind turning up and being here with everyone around.

How did you feel when you first heard of Liverpool's interest?

I was a bit surprised and didn't really know what was going on at the time. When I knew it was real and that there was a chance for me to come here I knew it was a great opportunity and I had to take it.

Everything has happened so quickly - has it sunk in yet?

A little bit! Everyone I grew up with is still in Newcastle but as soon as things settle down a bit I'm sure it'll be better.

How did it feel this morning to wake up as Liverpool's new No.9?

It's a great feeling. The No.9 is a big number and the one I wanted. To get it at Liverpool is a great feeling.

It is an iconic shirt at Liverpool with the likes of Rush, Fowler and Torres having worn it - how proud are you to now be following in their footsteps?

That's what I'm hoping for. I want to go out there and play the football that has brought me here. I want to score goals, set up goals and carry on playing football

How much are you looking forward to working with Kenny Dalglish?

That's really exciting. He's a great man, a great manager and I'm looking forward to getting started. He has told me to settle myself in, get fit and get ready to start playing.

We know you're close friends with Kevin Nolan who is a big Liverpool fan - what has he said to you about this club?

I have spoken to him. He is over the moon, really delighted for me. He said it's a big chance for me to go out there and show what I can do with Liverpool, and that's what I'm going to do.

How big an opportunity is this for you at such an early stage in your career?

It's massive. Liverpool is a big club which is going places and this is a chance to show what I can do. What I did at Newcastle has got me here and now I have to carry it on with Liverpool.

You're not the only new signing at the club - how much are you looking forward to linking up with Luis Suarez?

It's going to be great to partner with him. He's a great player but I'm looking forward to playing with all the lads. There are some great players here and I just hope I can fit in well.

You've had a great season at Newcastle - how confident are you that you'll score the goals to take Liverpool forward in the way we all want?

Goals have always been in my game so I'm very confident I can score for Liverpool. I'll bring as much as I can to the team, I'll score goals, create chances, hold up the ball and just try my best really.

How much are you looking forward to making your Liverpool debut?

I can't wait. I just need to get myself fit and then look forward to my debut. I'm just working in the gym at the moment and hopefully will start running soon. I just want to get started.

This is clearly the start of a new era at Liverpool under new ownership - how excited are you at the prospect of being an integral part of it?

It's a great feeling. Everyone has put their faith in me and it's nice to have come to a club that has welcomed me like this.

And, finally, what would your message be to Liverpool fans today?

They have spent a lot of money on getting me here and I just want to repay them for what they have spent. I'll do my best and think I can do it. I want to win trophies with this club and help push us forward.

2. Bozz

Bozz Well-Known Member

** Interview from Liverpoolfc.tv**

- This hardly sounds like a man who doesn'tr want to be here although there are some cryptic shots at Newcastle I think...

3. Muppetfinder General

Muppetfinder General Well-Known Member

Obviously the club's questions are loaded so he doesn't get embarrassed and we can't blame him for wanting to stay at his boyhood club - respect is due - but I'm sure Kevin Nolan will be happy to pop down whenever he can to catch a game and help him settle.

4. Ze

Ze Well-Known Member

I wonder if we could lure Kevin Nolan down here too? Him and gerrard in the middle would be something special.