1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Carragher, Neville & Referees

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by fatletiss, Apr 2, 2017.

1. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

You've just written everything I hated (?) about weekend "pub" football. Played commercial house & have seen so much of the above. Ok, many years ago, so I'm hoping it's better now but I have a feeling it's much the same. I remember a particular feisty game which came to a head (after about 20mins (!), where two players squared up & at least 8 of theirs ran to join in, including their keeper who had to run 3/4 of the pitch to "get involved" ! Game was abandoned & both teams got fined <doh>

2. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Right I'm watching. Thoughts in chronological order...

These guys are not unfit for a bunch of old boys. But totally crap at football.

The bit about "letting the game breathe is nice", but after the Coleman's injury, don't expect too much more of that in future. It's not the ref's fault but there is only one step between letting things go and a broken leg.

Really perceptive question from Neville about a little bit more openness/personality. Mike Riley could have said "that's why you're here". He was right to say they should do more of that.

On the Burnley-Swansea handball Anthony Taylor (aka Tails) wrote "this was a terrible decision by myself". It was, but not as terrible as the decision to write "myself" instead of "me"!!!!! Arrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, why does everyone do that.

Ok, back to the programme. It's an interesting decision review/coaching system, but it must get boring if you have to write an essay on everything you ever give. Obvious that they think a lot about psychology and modern coaching too, but they'd be mad if they didn't because every other professional sports team has worked it out.

Carragher having a real flap about offside.

"Cost a team a cup final just like last week". <wah>

Peter Kirkup mentioned about it being more difficult to see under floodlights. That's not right - it's impossible, particularly if the ball goes above head height (not very high for me). Aerial challenges, confusing offsides, crowded penalty areas are all a bit more of a lottery.

Neville tries to tempt some of them into saying which grounds were the most intimidating etc. No bites. :)

They could have done half an hour on video tech. Riley said he was in favour but it's not as simple as it seems, someone has to decide the rules and do some tests first, which is going to take some work.

The end. I found it online on a site that sounds like Maily Dotion if you want to watch it.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  3. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I thought Mike Riley was the one who came out least well in it.

4. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Why's that?

5. fatletiss

I just thought of all the people who spoke, he came across as most rigid.

6. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Oh I see, yeah he was not a media natural. I'd like to have known more about what his job is. He seemed quiet and managerial, and I'd rather have one of them than...some of the other recently retired refs.

fatletiss likes this.
  7. greensaint

greensaint Well-Known Member

I see your "Commercial Houses Minnows Cup" and raise you with a "Bognor & Promotional League 3 most improved player trophy 1986", my only success.

Refs are bonkers, like goalkeepers. My father did suffer from the 'little Hitler' syndrome but also recieved some horrible abuse down the Millbrook and Redbridge parks. Like everything else if you don't value something it becomes poorer. Funnily enough my attempt to help ref a 6-a-side tourny one year resulted in my realisation that I really DID need glasses, couldn't tell who touched the ball last so resorted to a rota system.

8. Shepherd's Clearing

Shepherd's Clearing Well-Known Member

Wasn't Mike Riley the ref who as pleading with Ashley Cole saying 'Ashley, Ashley, Ashley..' when the petulant child turned his back on him and wouldn't talk to him during a game? It made him look weak and pandering. He should have given him one chance and then booked him at least. I lost all respect for him when they played that clip.

9. Shepherd's Clearing

Shepherd's Clearing Well-Known Member

I used to play football occasionally with a chap, who in fact was a fairly good footballer, who in the entire time he played had won one medal - the Awbridge Six-a-Side Tournament (Losers) Plate runners-up. That was it. I think he was about 35 when we got to that particular final and then got hammered as well.

10. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I liked the fact that he was open to video assistance to help officials. Professionals can be oh so bloody conservative, but he was refreshing in his willingness to accept new technology. Plus, he was very clear on where the issues could crop up, and he identified every one of them. So, maybe not the screen idol, but at least his grey matter works. :)

11. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I looked in quite a few places but completely forgot Maily Dotion [sounds like a bad newspaper]. Cheers for that.

12. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Right, just watched it. Fair play to Taylor for being so critical of himself for the Burnley penalty he gave. Also I think it showed how difficult it is to be an assistant referee. Calling offside is one of the most difficult jobs to do. Very good watch and very fascinating. It should also put to bed any argument that any PL referee lacks the fitness to keep up with play.

13. fatletiss

Jon Moss' absence was noted :)