1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Carling Cup

Discussion in 'Wolves' started by Neilynotquite, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Neilynotquite

Neilynotquite Member

I went to Sixfields last night, and what a good performance! I know we should be able to beat 4th Division opposition, but we have struggled against the likes of Accrington in the past, and Northampton have had numerous higher league scalps in previous seasons.
    What pleased me was the all round commitment, as I think all the squad saw it as an opportunity to show that they could be in the PL starting line up, and that's not been obvious in some cup matches. SEB's goals were both excellent (after missing a one on one with the goalkeeper), the Milijas free kick was class, and the fourth goal was a brilliant team goal.
    I was impressed with Matt Doherty, and Leigh Griffiths looked lively when he came on. Michael Kightly and Adam Hammill weren't at their best though, both looked to me like they need more game time.
    Nothing to get wildly excited about, but another small indication that we are ahead of where we were last season.

2. hedgeworth

hedgeworth Active Member
    Forum Moderator

Thats right, when you look at the teams that came up, they got spanked while resting players, which is what was happening to us for the last couple of seasons.

This season, every player from the starting line up on Sunday was rested and we still managed to score 4 goals so we are heading in the right direction, I read quite a few of the other forums here and am surprised at how many of the fans seem to think that they will stay out of the bottom 3 easily.

My only worry is that we have now sold the Hoff when he looked like he may actually push into the squad, so we are light on forwards. Don't think its going to happen but another striker and/or another defender and i will be more than happy. if not then hopefully injuries don't cost us this season.

3. Neilynotquite

Neilynotquite Member

Not sure which way to look at it. I want the transfer window to close in case our early season form tempts somebody to come in with silly money for Doyle, Jarvis or Fletcher. We wouldn't have time to replace them now either.