1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Can we win the league this year?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by lazarus20000, Oct 3, 2016.

?

Can we win the league?

Poll closed Oct 17, 2016.
  1. Yes

60.0%
  2. No

40.0%
  1. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

I have to admit, I've not been overly optimistic about our chances of winning the league in the past, due mainly with our lack of squad strength. But things have changed and we've steadily brought in top class players and significantly boosted our squad to the point where we can take damage through injuries.

Not sure if it's me, but this season feels different. For one thing, its a lot more competitive and points will be harder to come by for all teams. We have 4-5 teams with enough quality to realistically lift the title, but one thing we have in our favour is experience and a more established team. Our seasons often unravel when we lose key personnel and last season was Coqs injury. I feel a lot more reassured with our latest signings of Xhaka, Elneny and Mustafi, who i think will maintain our strength in defence and allow is to sustain an entire campaign.

I thought i'd throw a poll in and see how many people think we can win and then do it again after Christmas.

2. Tiddler

Tiddler Hoshu-tekina

We can, but only if Man City let us.

3. lazarus20000

I can see them dropping more points with their leaky defence. I would rate our defence as one of the best at the moment and i can see us doing City over too.

4. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

It's difficult.

Maybe it's because Arsenal really do have a habit of letting me down when I raise my hopes, but I just can't get optimistic until I see how and where we are squad wise, fitness wise and form wise around February-March. I don't want this to be another false dawn.

Because I feel like we've been here many a time before where we've thought it could be the season we push on and contend for the title, only to fall short in the final hurdles. Where we've gone on a good winning run and thought "maybe...just maybe" only for our dreams to be crushed in unimaginable fashion.

That being said, I feel like we're in a better position to compete for the title before as we have depth in key positions and we look like an overall more solid side that can cope with injuries - but we've only played 10 games so far (in all competitions). Things are going smoothly at the moment, but it's how we react to the inevitable sticky patch that we will get which matters more.

Let's just take each game as it comes and assess where we are in 2017.

5. lazarus20000

I share your sentiments Brunel, but we've never had proper cover in defensive or the right types of strong players to sustain a full campaign. Just those three players of Xhaka, Elneny and Mustafi will make a big impact on our team and keep our strength throughout the season. Most of our campaigns have fallen over when our defense has collapsed through injury and the replacements have been inadequate. I have faith in all three players to be able to positively impact our season and maintain our push from start to end.

6. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

Again, I agree completely - and there are absolutely more reasons to be optimistic than downbeat right now - but the problem with Arsenal is that you just never know. They can let you down yet also get your hopes up in equal measure, regardless of how well or poor we perceive the squad to be. I think we just need to stay calm because any title talk at this stage is premature. Let's focus on maintaining our form and heading into 2017 in a positive way, then we'll assess where we are then.

7. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

No chance imo.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  8. lazarus20000

We're talking about Arsenal, not Liverpool <ok>

luvgonzo likes this.
  9. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

That was already clear. <ok>

10. straycat_67

straycat_67 Well-Known Member

The title says WILL WE WIN.... which is different from the vote poll of CAN WE...... based on the poll, I voted YES. Will we win the league this year, that's a different matter. I think we have a 1 in 5 chance of winning it, not bad odd's I guess.

11. lazarus20000

You're right, i should change the title thread.

MODS can you change from WILL to CAN. Thanks

12. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

The only thing that concerns me is that we still lack a killer instinct CF. Hopefully there should be enough goals in the team to do the job, and to be fair Sanchez has been doing a pretty good job up front, although he still likes to come deep and get involved in the play. We lacked a plan B up front yesterday at Burnley, but with Giroud and Perez available it will give us more options, we're going to need both of them to be scoring regularly this season.

The rest of the team is the best it's been for years. We have a top quality GK, CB's and DM's now to compliment the world class attacking players we have in Sanchez and Ozil. So we are in good shape to mount a title challenge. Overall I think any one of Arsenal, City, Liverpool, Spuds and if they get their act together Utd and Chelsea could challenge this season. It's probably even more wide open than it was last season. Consistency will be the key, and so far it looks like we're doing okay in that area.

13. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Will is the more interesting question. Of course you can win it. Will you? Probably not.

14. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Whoa. You've changed. Although you still keep hitting "d" instead of "r". Have corrected <ok>

15. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

#flouncing

16. Daveunited

Daveunited Well-Known Member

You or Spurs if not us please

17. lazarus20000

Don't fancy Liverpool?

18. Tibbers

Tibbers Active Member

Danny Higginbotham did said that it will be tough for Arsenal. I hope the Gunners will take it as a motivation

19. lazarus20000

It'll be a tough title race for everyone. I think it'll be close and the margin of victory will be narrow. Everyone is saying City will do it but Pep's lack of experience and defensive frailties will show at the end. Liverpool have a similar makeup, great going forward but suspect at the back. I think Arsenal have the edge in defense which will allow them to grind out enough results to get them over the line.

20. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

And Spurs, Chelsea and United?

Lovearsenalcock likes this.