1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Can Big Matt Smith Shine?

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cravingawin, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

Title says it all really but I really hope Matt Smith can do the business for us up front . He just needs a couple of goals and he'll be off. I'm thinking he could do what Zamora did a few years ago? What do you think.

2. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

For me to get the best out of Smith think SJ will have to change the style a bit. Smith plays with his back to goal so he needs players close to him to play off him (a strike partner), at the moment the other two are out near the wings, and the way we launch the ball high up to him is wrong all he can do is jump vertical and be a nuisance to the opponents, the ball up to him has to be lower where he can cushion his header for players round him.
    If you want to get his scoring potential then you have to use wingers, like when Fredericks was let lose against Brighton late in the game, but then Smith had been taken off. Once Smith can get into a crowded box he can lose his marker easier.
    Smiths best attribute is to cause havoc to opponents Centerbacks, he doesn't possess any speed so he needs to be in the box to be at his best.

Captain Morgan and Cravingawin like this.
  3. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

Agreed SBM. It wouldn't take much to tweak the style a bit as Johansen could be the player to get the ball to him and then he lay it off to Fredericks and bomb in to the box. Simples!