1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Campbell's future....

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by pirate49, Jul 27, 2011.

1. pirate49

pirate49 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

What does this season hold for our living legend?
    He didn't feature last night....I can only think of McLaggon and Boateng who were also not used.
    He's never mentioned when the captaincy is discussed, though I think he'd make a good CLUB captain.
    He has featured in midfield in some of the pre-seasons, but has also been put at LB and CB.
    Buckle has gone quiet on the Youth Team coach situation...perhaps Campbell would be used to do that and captain a reserve team, which Buckle has gone on record as saying is important.
    I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Rovers have accepted an undisclosed fee for Campbell, who has been offered a two year contract elsewhere.
    I hope not, and I think that in a long season Campbell could still play a role. But I think he's way down on Buckle's list.

2. Chris-Gashead

Chris-Gashead Well-Known Member

Possibly, but I think Campbell is very happy in Bristol and will do almost anything to remain here. He has kids settled in Bristol, his wife loves it and so does he. It would be hard for him to accept a job elsewhere just to play football when he can earn similar wages (prob better wages here if anything) coaching etc. Love him or not, he is no longer fit enough to play 20 games a season let alone 40 unfortunately

3. atcham jack

atcham jack Well-Known Member

trouble is paul the power buckle has such a long list. do hope cambell finds a coaching job. there must be loads of local clubs he could player manage, er rovers for 1 if things go pearshaped for paul the power buckle

4. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

A utility role will give Campbell a good view of the game from different perspectives, which will help his coaching. Buckle had the same sort of "apprenticeship". I think he'll be a good pro to have around to steady the ship, keep the young ones inspired and provide some continuity with the past. I'm sure he'll be fin, because he's a great pro.

5. pirate49

Forum Moderator

I hope you're right Gastro. The story was that he had a slight hamstring problem, so didn't feature last night.
    However another view is that he wanted to play; and wants to have a playing role this season. I'm not sure that
    a happy compromise can be struck. If he was injured last night why didn't he have a hand in the warm-up, as he
    did at Mangotsfield? It would have been good PR to have him on the bench in a tracksuit.

6. pirate49

Forum Moderator

Youth team manager appointed....not Campbell.
    I couldn't get to the game yesterday, but I don't think he played. Was he involved or present?

7. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

8. pirate49

Forum Moderator

Reassured today. Had a brief chat with SC at the Fun Day. He was relaxed and cheerful and said that he still
    had a slight hamstring strain. I spoke to a club official who said the same.
    I have never seen so many at a Fun Day. Packed out and buzzing. Buckle signed autographs all afternoon
    and had time for everyone. His PR is outstanding; and, I think, genuine.

9. Chris-Gashead

Chris-Gashead Well-Known Member

Sounds like the real deal at the moment doesnt he? Lets hope it continues. The guy will be a legend if we go up champions, and then thump C*ty twice next season thats for sure :)