1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

By the sound of it

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by ilovetheno45, Jan 14, 2017.

1. ilovetheno45

ilovetheno45 Member

We were pretty terriable again today, but grounded out a result. Which is what champions /teams going up do, but, I would really like us to be battering teams when we are on top of them. Most of our results have come from us grounding out results. I still worry about this year never mind when/if we get back to prem. I trust raffa all day long, but we still need massive changes to be competitive in the prem. Don't know the extent of injuries today but they can't help. Bottom line is we need much better players

2. ilovetheno45

ilovetheno45 Member

The headline sound be " by the sound of it "

3. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

Shelvey's a huge miss for us, we'll see a big change next match when he's back.

The thing we've massively lacked is creativity in midfield, which is what he brings.

Hope Gayle's not out for long.

4. Consett Mag

Consett Mag Well-Known Member

There can't be any room for argument now. We're down to bare bones even presuming Gayle hasn't sustained a bad injury. If he's out for a few weeks or more, we need to speculate with a proven striker, even if it costs £10m +. We need to bring in some extra bodies in attacking midfield whatever.
    We can't just look at the cost in this league, but the cost of missing out going up because of frugal behaviour in January.

5. ilovetheno45

ilovetheno45 Member

True, but even with shelvey we've been bang average at times.and yet we sit top.of the league (for now) Will he cut it every week in the prem. We've come along way since the ap and smc days, and long may that continue.we need more creative players otherwise we will get swamped in the prem or even the championship

Flash likes this.
  6. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

7. Charlie Dogscock

Shelvey is clearly a Premier league player, he was a regular in Prem sides for years, he'd definitely be one we retain if/when we go up. As for the rest, Rafa clearly will want to build a new side fit for the Prem and they'll be plenty of summer signings.

When we remove the clown (Colback) and insert the maestro (Shelvey) we'll see a big change. Yes more creativity is needed though, I've been annoyed by Rafa's insistance on playing Ritchie no matter how much his form drops, and not putting Atsu in the starting line up, who makes things happen whenever he comes on.

8. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

Great results today exactly what I hoped for in Wednesday winning and Brighton losing to Preston

9. Blacker-than-Knight

My hands itch when I see this, Ground not Grounded, Grinding not Grounding, the words grounded and grounding do not appertain to the verb grind, as for the rest of it the club needs to get it's collective finger out and get some quality in now.

10. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

Fixed <ok>

ilovetheno45 likes this.

11. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

Yes, he should of wrote that.

12. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

IMG_0009.PNG

13. ilovetheno45

ilovetheno45 Member

14. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

We were awful. Just grinding out results is not something I think we should be aiming for, I think we should be looking for more. I can't remember when we last saw it.

I don't get this "Shelvey will come back and everything will be rosy"

He's not been that good although he has done well and there is still a massive question mark if we do go up. Plus should we not have a replacement within the squad?

ilovetheno45 likes this.
  15. leez

leez Well-Known Member

been watching how we concede goals or defend things ....and came to the conclusion our defence is woeful from corners high balls and players that are good in the air ...poor really

16. Charlie Dogscock

With Colback offering zero creativity in midfield, all we can hope to do is grind out results until Shelvey is back.

Shelvey is clearly our key player, and links everything up and we look like a completely different team when he's playing. Not saying everything will be rosy when he's back, we'll just be massively better than we are now, is it just a coincidence that in all the 5 games he's been out for we've played the worst we have all season?

It's not all down to Shelvey though, firstly Colback needs to be dropped, Ritchie has been awful recently and needs to get back to his early form, and Atsu needs to be starting more.

17. Blacker-than-Knight

18. Blacker-than-Knight

Don't need a cream just people who can use the English language properly

19. ilovetheno45

ilovetheno45 Member

And you have nothing more to do with your life, other than pick fault with other people's English, or maybe their predicted text on their phone's

20. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

<laugh>

Consett Mag likes this.