1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Bury v Sunderland *** IMPORTANT TRAVEL INFO INCLUDED

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by marcusblackcat, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

I thought Gibson was tidy, safe and reliable. Did nothing wrong. Thing is, I think we should be seeing more out of him, at championship level let alone this level. Catts is stepping up, Gibson looks happy to tick along quietly. Given we're only going to play 2 CMs most of the time this season we can't have people ticking along nicely. He can't sit in front of the defence ticking along, he needs to be more involved, he needs to be more positive and forward thinking. Attack and defence are both of the CM responsibilities.

If I'm honest, I think he carried out his business last night as though he was part of a 3 man cm in the premiership. That's not good enough for me like. He needs to install more influence on the games like Cats and Ndong do. Neither of them are much cop in the final 3rd but at least you can physically see them trying get forward. Playing forward passes and advancing into space. I didn't see that from Gibson last night. Need to see more, need to see he's above this level not just fitting in.

Nacho and clockstander like this.
  2. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Khazri always looks like this, its what you get, his strong point, if you can call it that, is his total unpredictability, it catches everybody out and often leads to a break through sometimes at the wrong end, I agree with your point about the young lads, Gooch and Honeyman, two great prospects, who along with McGready with cushion his departure if he does leave, personally I like him but he does also as you infer run out of steam, and I was pleased when he was substituted, in case he incurred a second booking, which could have been calamitous on the night.

Well observed as usual Bri., but I must say I was pleasantly impressed with him, and I think in a way we were playing a very fluent version of a three man midfield. More severe tests await, and the next three games should be interesting, even though I am more hopeful than expectant of much return, we are against all odds making steady progress imo. Cheers

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Brian Storm likes this.
  3. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Grabben keeps taking spells on the wing doesn't he, we keep switching between 442 and 451, I like that about Grayson, he won't stand off, he'll tweek constantly in a game rather than hope on pitch problems take care of themselves. He's always making notes, always issuing instruction and constantly mixing it up. Looking like my sort manager. Love adaptable forward lines.

clockstander likes this.