1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Burton Albion v Leeds Utd Match thread / Breakfast Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Apr 20, 2017.

?

Scoreline: Burton Albion v Leeds Utd

Poll closed Apr 22, 2017.
  1. 0-0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1-1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 2-2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 3-3 or higher

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Burton by 1

14.3%
  6. Leeds by 1

28.6%
  7. Burton by 2

14.3%
  8. Leeds by 2

14.3%
  9. Burton by 3 or more

14.3%
  10. Leeds by 3 or more

14.3%
  1. LeedsLover

LeedsLover Well-Known Member

Copping a bit of flack on twitter is Monk, it's not really surprising, midfield has been a problem for us and his selections have been up and down questionable.

O'Kane is a player who likes to push forward occasionally, something we've lacked, and we've certainly missed it. Hernandez likes to push forward but we don't seem to have the players that can keep up with, or read him properly; could be one of the reasons why he seems to have bad games occasionally.

We've always had problems in midfield, even last season. We've let go of or got rid of some good midfielders, but blame there may well lay at the feet of Bates, GFH and Redders.

TBH, I wouldn't be surprised if there has been a dressing room bust up with Monk, not surprised at all. Apparently, he recently told the players, after the Burton loss, they owe it to the fans to do well for the last 2 games, cough, splutter, cough, what about Monk, what does he owe the fans now we're virtually out of the playoffs. He puts the onus on the players, which means he's putting blame on them.

Someone mentioned Monk writes 3 problems down and leaves the players to try and sort them out, if this is what happened, this, imo is passing the buck because he doesn't know how to fix the problems himself. He certainly hasn't fixed the midfield problem, he picks a defensive formation every week and our attacking strength is weak.

Nope, I wouldn't be surprised if Monk did lose the dressing room......:emoticon-0148-yes:

2. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Naughty:grin:

3. lifecheshirewhite

O'kane had a great first half to the season,not been the same since his injury,maybe not fully recovered.

ristac likes this.
  4. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I totally agree but he hasn't featured for several weeks or more. Me calling them passengers doesn't necessarily mean they are useless but if they are not getting picked, often not even on the bench then surely selling any or replacing any for someone who will make a difference is a good thing?

I would personally keep O'Kane but if Monk is in charge next season and Bridcutt, Vieira and Philips are ahead of him......

Going back to playing as a team and having the right ingredients, I did read one report that said O'Kane provides the link forward to Hernandez and when O'Kane plays, Hernandez has a better game.. just saying...

5. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

So you're saying our current position is all Monk's fault then? <steam>

And yet this is the best we've done since we were promoted back up into the Championship? :huh:

Perhaps you could reconsider if you ever make it back to reality. <doh>

Leedsoflondon and Eireleeds1 like this.
  6. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

Not good ......Although in reality , you could still finish 3rd . but chances are if you lose one game or Fulham win one game ...your sh1t out of luck . Back to the drawing boards , I wonder if Monk will be the guy standing in front of those drawing boards ....with the chalk ?

7. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I don't think he will be, I think he probably feels let down by a lack of backing in January and I think better offers will come in for him. We didn't do anything in trying to extend his contract and doing what he has done this season will make him an attractive prospect.

Eireleeds1 and seabreeze like this.
  8. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Totally agree. If you're always looking for fault in monk, you argue he's 'limitations' meant he fell at the last. I prefer to think he did brilliantly getting us up there and keeping us there for so long with what we all agree was a limited squad that none of us expected to challenge. For me, the players choked under pressure against two teams we had a great chance of beating. Either way, our best finish and most competitive season since the promotion year.

Whitejock and OLOF like this.
  9. Whitejock

Sounds 100% speculative to me, Ristac. Hopefully you'll be proved wrong. Hopefully.

10. LeedsLover

LeedsLover Well-Known Member

So you're saying our current position is all the players fault then......which ones you want to blame Jock, some of'em, or all of'em?

Stats will show we finished 7th (if the miracle doesn't happen) after being in top 6 since November.

Who's job is it to bring players in, train the players, pick the team, motivate the players, pick the formation, do the subbing and get the team playing consistent top notch football?

Who's job is it to take the plaudits, and wear the responsibilities?

Do you know which world you live in Jock?..............cos this one ain't make believe.....:emoticon-0148-yes:

TC (Lovely Geezer) likes this.

11. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Totally speculative with a splash of reality thrown in and a dash of putting 2+2 together but if I'm wrong it won't be the first time this season <ok>

Leedsoflondon likes this.
  12. Whitejock

Read back. I said no such thing. And please do not try to put words in my mouth again. I asked a reasonable question, and insted of answering it by confirming or denying, you adopt your usual MO - i.e. ignore the question & ask other questions instead. <doh><doh><doh>

13. TC (Lovely Geezer)

TC (Lovely Geezer) Well-Known Member

Who do you blame Jock?

14. Whitejock

For what? <confused>

15. TC (Lovely Geezer)

End of season capitulation!

16. Whitejock

Your season may be over, but we've got 2 games left.

17. TC (Lovely Geezer)

True - and we have 4 games left <cheers>

Millwallsteve likes this.
  18. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Simple, the players choked under pressure, it can happen. Monk has been rotating the midfield all season (out of choice or necessity I don't know), but it took us into the playoff places, as high as 3rd and kept us in the top six for months. We are loads of points ahead of both Wolves & Burton so any combination should have been able to dig out a win. Once on the field it can't be solely down to monk that suddenly players can't make simple passes to each other. Our only hope is either Fulham or the wends also choke now they are in the box seat <ok>

Eireleeds1 likes this.
  19. lifecheshirewhite

You,Steve and your boys will have flown out by Saturday night,see you in August Tc.