1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Burton Albion v Leeds Utd Match thread / Breakfast Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Apr 20, 2017.

?

Scoreline: Burton Albion v Leeds Utd

Poll closed Apr 22, 2017.
  1. 0-0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1-1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 2-2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 3-3 or higher

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Burton by 1

14.3%
  6. Leeds by 1

28.6%
  7. Burton by 2

14.3%
  8. Leeds by 2

14.3%
  9. Burton by 3 or more

14.3%
  10. Leeds by 3 or more

14.3%
  1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Burton Albion V Leeds Utd
    Saturday 22nd April [email protected]
    Streaming links to follow
    Good Morning Everyone,

When people talk about last chances, you think throw this match into that category.

Leeds MUST beat Burton on Saturday if they want to progress to the play offs.

Must has to decide whether to drop out of form Bridcutt and replace him with either O'Kane or Viera assuming the 18 year old has overcome his illness.

The other decision the gaffer must have a long hard think about is perhaps dropping Berardi and going with the more attack minded Taylor?

Thoughts?

Burton are playing for their lives; they will not want to get relegated, and I don't think there is too much love lost between Leeds and Nigel Clough.

ristac and wakeybreakyheart like this.
  2. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all...

Is there a difference between playing to remain in the Championship compared to playing to gain promotion into the PL? I would have said PL football should be an even greater incentive.

This far into a season, the table doesn't lie, Burton and Wigan are the bottom end because they are poor, they are teams that have lost more games for a reason.

If our players can't motivate themselves for the last handful of games and they can't come away with wins over Burton and Wigan then they don't deserve top 6

Drop Hernandez and play Antonsson at 10 and drop Bridcutt.

Green
    Ayling Bartley Pontus Berardi
    O'Kane Vieira
    Roofe Antonsson Pedrazza
    Wood

Subs Peacock-F Taylor Coyle Hernandez Sacko Doukara Phillips

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    ellandback likes this.
  3. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

morning it's not a bad lineup you have ristac.attack minded which monk has said we need to be.plus on your bench plenty to bring on later and just swamp burton.
    have to agree with you i mean burton bloodeeeeee albion who the hell are they.
    i have gone from squeaky bum to snapping dog as the match draws near.
    a win sets us up and puts pressure on the others two.
    i will be very angry with monk if it's all talk.just look at our squad and theirs.

ristac and ellandback like this.
  4. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Favourite article???

FORZA LEEDS and ristac like this.
  5. wakeybreakyheart

as a footnote i have been looking at club wembley but nothing is up on resale site yet.

6. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning ristac, I can see that there would be a huge DESIRE to get to the Prem, but they would not be playing for their lives as they would be if they were hovering around the relegation zone.

7. wakeybreakyheart

oh i remember days long before this.one particular game against man utd i was stood where the south corner is now and they were penned in behind fences.to amuse themselves they formed a circle and threw two of their own in to fight.next one got chucked in when one got battered.nice set of lads they were.

8. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning all. Wed have all taken our current position before season start. Monks worked wonders with what hes had and players have given their all.Having said all that, not to make the playoffs with the games weve remaining, would be a huge disappointment. Cant see many personnel changes and certainly not Antonnson as Ristac has suggested. If players havent been able to force their way into the team over 43 games, theyre not going to now. Unfortunately, with the pressure now involved, Monks not likely to have a huge impact over the last three games. Itll be down to how the players respond to that pressure. If they choke like they did agains Wolves, theres not a damn thing the management can do. On the plus side, if we do make the playoffs, last weekend may prove to be just the fright the players needed and could serve to be a huge kick in the arse for them. Saturday cant come quick enough <doh>

9. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

I can see us winning 9 points from these games and expect to 4th depending upon results but 5th at worst. Losing against 2 of the bottom clubs would be a crime, simple as that. I also see Norwich being battered at ER because they are out of it and we want to prove a point again.

If anything other than the above our season will have been great but fizzled out at the death just like that Grayson side that was top 6 all season and finished 7th. it took us 6 years to come back from that after 6 years of lower league footy. Our owner needs to realise that it takes either plenty of cash or year on year investment to go for promotion. He has to prove he is the man to do it,just like at Southampton, Norwich, Burnley, Hull, Swansea, Watford, Brighton, Derby, Fulham, Huddersfield even

10. BoggersMOT

BoggersMOT Well-Known Member

Morning all. The original "must win" game. I think Monk will have bent the team's ears something rotten this week. To end up 7th after such a good season would be a disaster. So Doukara needs to start to give us more of an attacking option. Taylor needs to start at LB & Beradi at RB. Aylink needs to be on the bench as cover for RB & either of our CBs.

I think we will get back into the top 6, as others have harder games this weekend. But it will take time to get this game won, as Burton won't be a pushover. In Monk I trust. MOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FORZA LEEDS and Whitejock like this.

11. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That is the side I would put out Eire, I don't believe for a moment Monk would throw Antonsson in. It's weird because I feel Monk has done a fantastic job exceeding expectations but if he persists with the same 11 and we lose to Burton I know part of me will feel mad with him.

Monk needs to step outside the comfort zone now and go out to attack Burton and score goals. It could still all come down to GD with Wednesday

LeedsLover likes this.
  12. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

On balance I think it would be advisable to win this one

Should I call Monk in case he needs guidance?

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  13. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Afternoon all.

From memory Burton played well at ER. Comfortable in possession but a bit toothless up front.

Both teams need a win but a point still useful for Burton whereas a win is a must for us. We need to keep 2 points behind Sheff Wed otherwise we might get stitched up on the final day.

Agree with others that Taylor has to come into the side. He offers far more attacking wise and should have been starting the last run of games after the international break.

The other problem area has been midfield. Don't know why O'Kane has gone completely out of the picture as he was one of the best players before he picked up his injury. Pedraza whilst doing nothing wrong seems to have played in all our recent defeats so something not quite clicking there. Bridcutt hasn't given us the composure and control you would expect given his experience so I think his starting place needs to be questioned.

My team for the weekend...

Green
    Ayling Bartley Jannson Taylor
    Sacko O'Kane Vieria Dallas
    Hernandez
    Wood

Dallas is in to give cover to a marauding Taylor. I still think our best attacking play this season has been with Sacko and Ayling in tandem down the right but we need O'Kane in with Hernandez to pick out the correct passes.

14. Jammy 07

In other news...the Bremner Suite is being reclassified as a corporate area for next season. Further details in the coming weeks.

15. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

TBF Ristac...if they couldn't get motivated against a Wolves side with nothing to play for in front of a 30 thousand plus crowd at home, I don't know what they need.:(

16. Irishshako

Makes me proud:grin:

17. Jammy 07

Don't think motivation was the problem.

First half we lacked composure.

Rushing passes, not thinking clearly leading to mistakes and eventually concession of goal. If we'd gone in 0-0 at HT I'm confident we would have gone on to win the game.

BillysStatue and Irishshako like this.
  18. wakeybreakyheart

Some of the old chants came back to me.

Irishshako likes this.
  19. Irishshako

Sounded like Wolves were more up for it in the ist as well, but I'm only going by the radio commentary...:)

20. Irishshako

We're old school Wakey.....too much PC bollocks around today for my liking:emoticon-0105-wink: