1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Burnley v Watford

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Who will win

Poll closed Sep 26, 2016.
  1. Burnely

5.6%
  2. Draw

22.2%
  3. Watford

72.2%
  1. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Burnley.jpg Watford.jpg

Burnley v Watford

Monday 26th September

20.00 at Turf Moor
    Burnley Football Club are again playing in the Premier League in 2016–17 after winning the Championship last year. Nicknamed The Clarets, due to the dominant colour of their home shirts, they were one of the founder members of the Football League in 1888. (They were founded in 1883).

Burnley have been Champions twice, in 1920/21 and 1959/60; they have also won the FA Cup once, in 1914. They are one of only three teams to have won all top four professional divisions of English football, along with Wolves and Preston.

The club colours of claret and blue were adopted in 1910 in tribute to the dominant club of English football at the time, Aston Villa. Their home ground since 1883 has been Turf Moor. Burnley have played their home games at Turf Moor since 1883. The current capacity is 22,616 all seated. Post-WWI crowds in the stadium averaged in the 30,000–40,000 range with the record attendance set in 1924 against Huddersfield Town in a FA Cup match when 54,755 attended the match.

Manager
    Their current manager is one Sean Dyche. Quiz question – Dyche was dismissed by the Pozzos when they bought Watford – he has had just the one club since then – but Watford have had how many managers?Whilst manager of Burnley, Dyche has successfully guided the club to two promotions to the Premier League in three seasons, the latter following relegation in 2014/15.

Mascot
    The club's mascot is Bertie Bee. He wears the 1882 shirt and became well known for rugby tackling a streaker on the pitch who had evaded the stewards, and appeared on the BBC Television sporting panel show They Think It's All Over after the event. In the 2006–07 season, he was also joined by Holland's Pies Stan the Pie Man, due to a sponsorship deal.

Famous supporters
    In early 2012 the Prince of Wales confirmed that he is a supporter of Burnley F.C. Not sure whether he like someone else might mix up his claret and blues though. Tony Blair's former Director of Communications, Alastair Campbell, is a lifelong supporter.

Actors/actresses: Sam Aston, Johnny Briggs, Steve Halliwell, Julia Haworth, Jane Horrocks, Richard Moore, Kevin Whately.

Musicians: Chumbawamba.

Politicians: Muammar Gaddafi,[43] Edward Heath, Peter Pike, Phil Willis.

Presenters: Anna Ford, Andy Hodgson, Eric Knowles, Amy Lamé, Tony Livesey.

Sportmen (footballers): Jimmy Adamson, Rachel Brown, Chris Casper, Michael Duff, Tom Heaton, Jimmy Hogan, Bob Lord, Jimmy McIlroy, Harry Potts, Jay Rodriguez, Charles Sutcliffe.

Sportmen (non-footballers): James Anderson (cricketer), Ian Austin (cricketer), Stuart Fielden, Craig Heap, Neil Hodgson.

More supporters then than L*t*n have attendees.

Odd Facts
    This will be the first ever top-flight meeting between Burnley and Watford.

Five of the last six league meetings between these sides have ended level (Watford winning the other), including each of the last four.

The Clarets are unbeaten in their last eight home league meetings with Watford (W4 D4), since a 2-3 defeat in April 2004.

Watford have scored 3+ goals in consecutive Premier League matches for the first time. The Hornets have not done this in three successive league outings since a run of four in January 2011.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    Mexican Hornet and Hornet-Fez like this.
  2. Chris 13

Chris 13 Well-Known Member

The answer to your trick quiz question is 0
    Because we don't have Managers, we have Head Coaches!

Fancy another win but shame about Janmaat. As it is an away game we may start with Zuniga and Amrabat on the bench.
    I fancy a solid performance and another win, just less spectacular!

3. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Markthehorn likes this.
  4. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

5. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Although maybe it helps us I am not sure about this punishment. What he said has been in the public domain for 4 years and he has apologised and stated he no longer holds those views. Nob he may be but it seems a bit late to punish him - he was a non league player when he made the comments. I am not defending him - and certainly do not approve of his statements but am not sure the result is fair........

Hornet-Fez and Markthehorn like this.
  6. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

7. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I believe it is - OFH did the last one. If at any time you find you have a problem just let me know

Mexican Hornet likes this.
  8. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Cool, I can do it. Thanks.

9. aberdeenhornet

aberdeenhornet Well-Known Member

All these injuries building just after we let our medic go. Any idea what was behind all that, did I miss something?

10. Chris 13

Chris 13 Well-Known Member

A new medical centre with Doctor on duty every day + a private clinic for all staff & relatives + at least 2 new physios inc 1 to look after the wounded at L Colney when the rest travel with team.

11. Cornish Mark

Cornish Mark Well-Known Member

A big thanks to you all who do the match thread.

12. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Fair points Leo and you can bet Dyche/Burnley fans will be pointing out other comments made by players in the past on Twitter etc.

The suggest is this was Liverpool fans trying to get a bit of revenge for Gray scoring against them last month..

Now he actually misses games against some of Liverpool's rivals for the top..

(I don't mean us really but never know..)

Trouble is a fine means nothing of course to a footballer now in most cases.

13. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

This is where the season was supposed to start. Any points we got before Burnley were said to be bonus points. The last thing we need now is to start dropping too many points. We need at least 10 from the next five games. We may be found out, again, in the second half of the season.

Having said all that, I am not feeling particularly confident.

14. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

Is the misspelling of Burnely in the poll, a dialect thing?

15. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

It may be that - or it may be my big ham fisted fingers on the keyboard - I will let you decide :)

andytoprankin likes this.
  16. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

Would Gray got a lesser punishment if he'd admitted to those he denied?

Historically, we generally seem to struggle in the red rose county - we need to change that on Monday.

17. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

A lot of our past games with Burnley have been draws - I will be slightly disappointed if we can only draw this time

18. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

Strangely, Granada and us are on Sky at the same time on Monday night.

19. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Nothing less than a repeat of 5th April 2003 will do <whistle>

andytoprankin likes this.
  20. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I would take that - and even a goal or two less if necessary :)