1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Burnley v UTD

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by The Prime Minister, Apr 23, 2017.

1. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

Yeah was a great day for us, especially with the Liverpool result going our way to, we now have a chance of top 4.

Sorry to put a dampener on things but I'm still not overly confident we'll get top 4 when I look at the fixtures we have left. 3 tough away games at Spurs, Arsenal and City. I think we'll need probably 6 points in those games, and win the rest which will be tough. But fingers crossed we can.

Though if I'm totally honest, if we can win the EL, I couldn't care less where we finish. Only positive to getting top 4 then would be to deny the scousers it <laugh>

Treble, Christiansmith and Diego like this.
  2. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Got to be worth pursuing for that.

We get both EL and 4th so either City or Liverpool miss out altogether.

Would put the icing on a tasty as **** cake.

Diego likes this.
  3. Sir Tennisball

Sir Tennisball Well-Known Member

It would also put less pressure on us in the EL final (assuming we get there).

Finals are always full of pressure but having top 4 sewn up will lessen the pressure considerably.

Christiansmith likes this.
  4. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

The RS are so bad that they really dont deserve CL football. To think that at one point they thought they were competing for the title. And the gullible media pundits had them as favourites at one point. <laugh> Even Kloppyflop is now resorting to talking rubbish on the TV. We dominated Palace he said. He "dominated" in the same way that LVG's united dominated teams. 75% possession but 1 shot on target the whole match v/s 3 for Palace <laugh> <laugh>.

Our run in is really the toughest I've seen for any team for a very long time. No one is giving us a cat's in hell chance of going through it unscathed, including JM I suspect. So there is nothing to lose. The City match will be really tough with so many key players out and a key Europa match to come soon but I wouldn't be surprised if JM pulled a rabbit out of the hat. Anything out of the Etihad would be a bonus.

5. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

We are not there yet. I am always weary of ****ing Spanish teams. They tend to spring a surprise even when they are mid table in La liga. If we negotiate them, we have no reason to fear anyone in the final.

I like the way JM is getting everyone to fight for 90 minutes and distributing the massive work load. And he is using the whole squad. He started with Martial, Rooney and Lingard and then brought Rashford and Mhiki. Martial has been a huge disappointment so far this season but if he applies like yesterday he'll be a huge asset. Martial and Shaw are hopefully coming good at a key stage of the season. Pogba is looking very tired. But Hererra is playing well.

Treble likes this.
  6. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

just how I feel tbh <ok>

Arsenal will be level on points with Liverpool if they win their games in hand. So I expect they'll be going all out for 4th. And that's possibly the easiest fixture out of the 3 <laugh>

7. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

Yeah all 3 will have a lot to play for. If we where at home I'd fancy us getting 7-9 points from the 3 games, but away I think we'll do well to get 4.

It might actually suit us though that Spurs and Arsenal both need to beat us. They can't sit back and play for a draw, so hopefully we can pick them off on the counter attack. I'm sure Mourinho will approach the games with that type of game plan.

8. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

A lot may also depend on how their results have gone up to that point. Arsenal could conceivably be even further behind us by the time we play, and top four all but out of reach. And Chelsea may have the title wrapped up by the time we play Spurs - they get the early game that weekend and if Spurs drop any points between now and then it might be out of their reach.

Still we are going to be up against it with our run in and the fixture congestion we have, so it will need a very strong performance from us or we will fall short.

9. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

Score V citeh tomorrow?

10. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

2-1 win to us.

Oh yes.

11. Red Hadron Collider

Nah. You've jinxed it now <laugh>

12. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Nah, jinxes only occur on the actual match thread.

Which I don't believe anyone can be arsed to do.

13. Red Hadron Collider

No they don't <whistle>

14. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

15. Red Hadron Collider

I think that's somewhat unlikely. Antimatter by Frank Close is a good read <ok>