1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Bundesliga Atmosphere

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by PleaseNotPoll, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Always a risk when you move to a new ground that you lose as much as you gain. Just ask West Ham; Upton Park - or The Boleyn Ground as they insisted on calling it - was an intimidating arena for visiting teams. The few times I went it was noisy and the atmosphere was intense. And now they've moved, filled the new venue by keeping prices reasonable, but still they can't buy a win at home.

As for my club, St Marys was a huge improvement on The Dell, but it struggles for atmosphere sometimes. In fact some of the best atmospheres at St Marys have been in front of 24,000 in the Championship, or less in League 1, rather than a full house in the PL.

Libby likes this.
  2. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Same with white hart lane. The stands are really close to the pitch and that helps to generate an intense atmosphere.

Just look at how badly Spurs struggled at Wembley. It shows how much of a difference playing in a different stadium can make.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  3. Archers Road

The atmosphere at WHL has been pretty good when I've been. I like how close you are, as a visitor, to the home supporters in the Upper tier, which also gives a great view of the pitch.

Highbury was fairly crap for visiting supporters stuck under the boxes in the clock end. But at least it was possible to generate some noise. Only been twice to The Emirates, but I think the acoustics are a bit of a problem; I'm sure, in spite of their reputation, the home fans do make some noise, but you can't really hear it because it just gets lost in such a vast bowl. And as visiting fans you can't seem make any noise at all.

Highbury was something else when the North Bank was a terrace <ok>

4. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

How good is the crowd noise at Wembley for a full house England match when things are
    going well on the pitch ??

If it ain't great even during the above, no way will it be good for any PL club.

5. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Wembley is a vast cavern of a stadium. The trend is to build those big bowl stadiums these days as they make the most of seating capacity. But they are generally a bit soulless

6. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Yeah I really hope we look into that and the club advises on where the likes of Park Lane and Shelf supporters should sit. All the people I sit around in Park Lane have said they'll be getting tickets in the single tier stand so I'm hoping others follow suit. It has the potential to be electric if Park Lane/ Shelf are together in that stand and prices are affordable for other like-minded supporters who want to join us.

I'd be devastated if we end up with an atmosphere like we've had at Wembley, was terrible there and I'm not looking forward to having to play all our games there next season.

7. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I used to stand on the old north bank terrace from 1987 until the sad day that they pulled it down. I know those days have gone, but as has been mentioned, I think safe standing would go a long way to improving the atmosphere in English grounds

8. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

If I had it my way, I would rip out the seats in the lower tier of the north bank at emirates and replace it with safe standing. Probably won't happen, but I hope to see some of the suggestions that Robbie has presented to Ivan Gazidis, implemented at Arsenal.

9. Archers Road

<laugh> I'm getting too old to stand for 90 minutes now.

Still, a pet hate is getting told to "sit down" when there's something actually happening on the pitch to make you jump to your feet. It's not the sodding theatre!

The Ginger Marks likes this.
  10. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

There were minutes released from a recent Spurs Supporters Trust meeting, a question was posed as to whether Spurs would look at safe standing in the future and apparently Spurs (as well as others) are looking into that possibility, it looks like it's working well at Celtic, so I see no reason why others can't follow in those footsteps. Would be brilliant if it happens.

11. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

****s me off no end being told to sit down. I know the stewards are instructed to tell people to sit for safety reasons, hence the need for safe standing.

The other pet hate of mine is being told not to swear. It's a ****ing football match for ****s sake !

What do they expect :

'Oh darn and dash it. That referee is a rather uncharitable chap. I suspect that it is questionable as to whether he knows what he is doing !'

12. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Arsenal have said that they would support safe standing too <ok>

The only problem that I can see (other than legislation) is that Islington council have put a 60k cap on our capacity, so it would need all of those people who currently sit in those seats to agree to the area being transformed to a standing area. Although there are systems used that incorporate a fold down seat.

13. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Leicester have an ikea, flat pack, pop up stadium yet I'd say we've got the best atmosphere in the Premier League (alongside Palace). We definitely got under Sevilla's skin a few weeks ago. They've been to some properly hostile places in Europe yet they couldn't cope in a 32k plush modern stadium.

All you need to do is get the fans positioned properly. We've had the benefit of being ****. During times of low attendance it's easier to get fans to sit where they should be (all the singers are together in two different groups a the KP).
    The idea that the stadium is the problem with English atmosphere's is mad. It's the fans. In Germany the fans are treated like royalty and it should be the same here.

14. Archers Road

You definitely haven't got the best atmosphere in the premier league. It was a 0-0 when I went last september though, so maybe that had something to do with it.

I would say in my experience the best atmospheres are generated in old grounds, like Selhurst, WHL, Anfield, Villa Park ( yeah, I know) etc.

Leicester's travelling support have always been pretty noisy though tbf.

15. Libby

Libby 9-0

Hard to say you've got the best atmosphere in the PL based on your 2 seasons so far imo. In one you performed the great escape and the other you won the league. I doubt it will stay at that level after a couple of mid table seasons.

Mosts grounds are the same, can all point to the odd big game where it's rocking but generally have 1 or 2 areas who sing and the rest is like a morgue.

16. Libby

Libby 9-0

Spot on, I know I say it all the time but there's no doubt in my mind that generally speaking the atmosphere was better with 18-20k in League 1 than it is now.

17. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I wouldn't say any team in the Prem has the best home support, it's all too similar, all sing at 0-0 and then more so if they're winning but it's not often I've seen a home crowd sing in the masses when things aren't going right.

18. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That atmosphere was definitely poor that day. Probably the worst it's been since promotion and I'd say that the fact it was 0-0 at Sunday lunchtime had a big impact on that.

I've not been to an away ground where I thought the home fans were as noisy as ours in the Premier League. Palace's can be superb though. There's plenty of hot air said about the likes of White Hart Lane, Anfield etc. They're loud when they're loud (goals, players coming out etc) but during the rest of the game its touristy ****.

The King Power literally vibrates for 90 minutes and after a goal it's like a bouncy castle.

19. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

At Leicester since our promotion there was definitely some sort of shift in supporters mood.

When we go down we don't start booing or anything like that. Generally after we conceded it gets louder and I think that's why we've got a pretty good record since our promotion of coming from behind to win/draw matches. It wasn't like that in the Championship, we'd get on top of the players and the atmosphere would suffer big time.

20. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

Doesn't Leicester have those cardboard clapper things...?

At Watford we had an extremely poor atmosphere until a few years ago (after the Palace semi final defeat). Then a group of fans got together and organised a fan group' to try and build a better atmosphere. Unfortunately they are pushed to one side of the main home-fans end, so don't really have quite the desired effect - it's better than it was but by no means great, and a lot of the atmosphere (like most stadiums, especially in the Pem) are dependant on what's happening on the pitch. They're much more effective at away matches though!

I just think most stadiums, the noise from home fans is more reactive. The first 5 minutes is noise then it tends to just die down until something happens on the pitch

Dier Hard likes this.