1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Bullard and Dyer Dream Team?

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by cheddyblue, May 25, 2011.

1. cheddyblue

cheddyblue Member

It could happen..two better than average championship players in the twilights of their careers..(one on the pitch one on the treatment table)...but we would always have a class midfielder hopefully, that would create and make things happen and God permitting should both be fit ,,, would we have a lampard / gerrard problem.?
    If we could get both, that cannot be bad for the club..they both have a genuine love for us and would only be good for the youngsters coming through. And who knows they could both have one great last season in them.
    So come on Foghorn Cleggy do your stuff....

2. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Bullard without any shadow of a doubt - but even if (and it's a hugely massive if) Dyer is fit, I'm not sure he has the edge anymore anyway.

Against Leeds he had one or two deft touches but was just so incredibly slow....

3. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

Speed is not necessarily what we need from him anymore, if we can just get the creativity they provide to open up the space for our strikers other players can provide the speed

4. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

It's not just about pace and speed, it's about sharpness. Dyer is as sharp as a cotton bud. IF he is fit enough to play.

5. Rushmere

Rushmere Member

Bullard, yes. Dyer no.

6. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

Not going to be disappointed at all if we dont get dyer but surely with returning fitness and more games sharpness returns, and as you said he did have some deft touches against leeds so surely it's still in there somewhere, the trick would be to get him to stay fit long enough which is why i think a pay as you play deal isn't a bad idea

7. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

I think the question is will Evans and Clegg have the drive to go and get decent players? Weve already seen a bid for Sharpe and Coppinger knocked back but did we go back with a better offer? Ive a nasty feeling the 6 or 7 seven players we really need to make us competitive will slip through our fingers through bids that are too low and incompetent negotiators.

8. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

My sentiments exactly fieldmarshall.

JWM lambasted me for saying something very similar because it's too early - but Clegg and Evans have previous and already the signs aren't good.

We have to sign a top Championship centre back and midfielder plus Jimmy Bullard just to be even with the squad we had last season. Are we realistically going to improve on that by buying those three plus a right back plus two quality strikers and a decent 'keeper? Never in a million years.

9. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

It would be great to have Bullard, we need someone with his dead ball abilities. I would give Dyer a miss though unless he was happy to be on a pay as you play deal and maybe not be involved all the time. If we can find a decent right back then Edwards can be restored to the right wing and with Carson on the left we would be okay. Perhaps Drury will also get a chance on the right.

10. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Its a bit worrying isnt it Hamps,we all know ME got his fingers burned with most of the big money signings that RK recommended, but if the new manager identifies players he thinks are vital to making a squad competetive instead of also rans he surely has to get those players in expensive as it will be.

11. billypockets 606

Bullard for sure as long as he's within our wage structure. He'd be an inspiration for the players in the squad particularly any young midfielders coming through. Dyer as I've mentioned before should be signed only on a pay as you play contract. Good for youngsters again and he can make an impact for 10-20 mins late on in tight games hopefully.

Further to this though we need to be looking to get young players in midfield to compliment the experience these players would bring on board. Our defence is clearly in line for redevelopment as so many players have left the club, and Delaney is nothing without a strong defensive leader. Thankfully we have a few hot prospects in the forward line and we only really need a couple of players in this area. A target man is a must with the formation we play. With Bullard, Wickham and Carson in the side the forward man should be getting enough chances to score regularly too...

12. PioneerBlueinOZ

Maybe wait a few years and then play Dyer as sweeper like we did Campo......

Would rather have Ambrose than Dyer if we are re-signing ex players

13. Rushmere

Rushmere Member

Let's try and avoid ex Town players if they are past their best before date and big 'names' if they are now only capable of looking impressive on the team sheet but not the pitch. Billy mentions three key players, Wickham, Bullard and Carson. Start there and build something around those three.

14. andythetractor

andythetractor New Member

rushmere dude ! i agree with that last post , but would like a fox in the box , PHILLIPS would do a job , he is still capable of playing in the prem even at his age !!!