1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Bruce Jnr gives his thoughts on his time at City...

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Feb 8, 2017.

1. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

"When I first went there you knew what to expect," said Bruce, now working towards match fitness at the DW Stadium. "It was Daddy's boy and all the rest of it. Nepotism was bound to come into play.

"But as a whole I'd have to thank supporters and team-mates because they all made it okay for me to just get on with it. Granted we had success and a lot of good times, which made it easier, but I know as well as anyone that it can be difficult to have the manager's son involved.

"Over the years I was only treated as one of their own by team-mates and I'll always appreciate that. The supporters, too, were always brilliant to me."

"Dad being the manager, and I can say this now he's moved on, he was super critical of me," he said. "Not that I'm that type of player but if I ever took my foot off the gas he'd be the first person to tell me. He wasn't shy of giving me a bollocking that's for sure.

"I don't think anyone could ever say he picked me because of who I was. If anything he was probably a bit harsh the other way. He left me out of the team sometimes and it felt like the easy option for him."

"Everyone knows there was a falling out. I don't think Dad could have coped with working with Ehab any longer. The relationship simply broke down.

"What I will say is that it was the relationship with Ehab, not Assem. He was always brilliant to my dad and me. It was when he stepped back that things got difficult for my dad.

"For him to leave in those circumstances, after leading the club back up, it was difficult for him and me. I did think to myself how it would affect me and my future. I just looked to get my head down and get fit.

"Unfortunately I just couldn't get back on the pitch. I wanted to prove to people that no matter who was in charge I'd have given the same commitment as I always did."

"Listen, I'm not an idiot," said Bruce. "The centre-halves that are there, Curtis (Davies), Harry (Maguire), Daws (Michael Dawson) and the new Italian lad, would have been very hard to shift after I've been out for six months and they're all match fit and playing well, especially Harry.

"I knew I had to play games to earn a contract, whether that's at Hull or somewhere else. So, if I can get playing every week between now and the end of the season it will be better for myself.

"You never know in football but in my mind I've probably played my last game for Hull City.

"It's disappointing because I'd have loved to have played a few games and earned a contract off my own bat, but it would have been difficult with the four lads that are there."

"My time with the club couldn't really have gone any better could it?" he added. "Two promotions, two years in the Premier League, a taste of European football and an FA Cup final.

"I managed over 100 games, averaging out at 25 games a year, so I'll always look back on my time there with fond memories. I met some great people, like Peter Chapman. If someone would have told me all that would happen before I arrived I would've snatched your hand off."

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/alex...0119254-detail/story.html#4itF3EgMs8zMSYUP.99

2. Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC

Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC Well-Known Member

Good for him - by what he says, it may not have been easy for him.

(**** Ehab, too)

3. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Well-Known Member

Good words from Alex.

Bruce and Assam do seem to have gotten along quite well from varying accounts.

4. hullborn

hullborn Well-Known Member

Fair play to him. Couldnt have been easy being the managers son. Looking back he's rarely let us down and definitely had a part to play in our success during the Bruce years.

5. pierredelafranchesca

pierredelafranchesca Well-Known Member

Fantastic comments, especially the Ehab bits, something we've always known but until now I don't think has been explicitly said in the press? Like i'd commented elsewhere, I thought he was a decent squad player, didn't think nepotism came into it and will always remember his performance against Suarez when we rolled out the first of our annual home wins against Liverpool

6. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

Good stuff. A good all out defender and always gave 100%.

I always chuckle to think TWS didn't play him when their defence was ****e. ****ing goons <laugh>

Oh and **** off Ehab.

7. renegadetiger

renegadetiger Well-Known Member

Always seems a decent lad does Alex.

Good luck to him.

Real ale tiger likes this.
  8. SydneyTiger14

SydneyTiger14 Well-Known Member

Could struggle to name a bad game from him in all honesty, he has brain fades but Davies and Dawson have had plenty as well. Great servant of the club.

9. Blaknamberblood

Blaknamberblood Well-Known Member

Nice to hear such honesty tbh .. always gave 100% and the cup final was probably my motm until he went off .. alas that's when it all went Tits up for us that day. Wish him well and I'm certain once he proves his fitness he'll get a contract at Wigan or wherever .. he goes with my thanks and good wishes

10. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

"As a whole"

Sounds like they didn't all see it that way. I know Faye wasn't happy.

He was good for us though, he earned his spot on the pitch more often than not, I do think better players suffered for him (Harry being left out a lot and Hobbs especially) but it's a form game and if Alex is on top whilst the others aren't, who's to argue.

11. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

Good article, Alex never let us down, and if he hadn't got injured in the final things might have turned out differently. Certainly the best tackler in the club during his time with us, I have always enjoyed that side of a players game.

Good luck to him, and on the whole I think he enjoyed his time with us.

Sad thing is to have seen good football people like Pete Chapman forced out as well as his father.

12. Roary's Smelly Head

Roary's Smelly Head Well-Known Member

Not the most technically gifted, but brave and put himself on the line. Goes with my thanks and best wishes

13. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

It royally pisses me off when people slate Alex. He was a fine servant of the club, who more often than not did exactly what was asked of him. If he had a different surname, he never would've got a fraction of the criticism that he did.

14. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

Sharon will have a field day when he see's this.

SydneyTiger14 likes this.
  15. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

Where's Charon?

16. spesupersydera

spesupersydera Well-Known Member

Charon only comes out at night; casts no reflection in a mirror, hates garlic and crucifixes etc etc ...... don't invite him into your house btw.

17. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

As a central defender in a back 3 - he was outstanding and epitomised the type of player I like to see representing the club I support. Full blooded and committed, not worried about an injury and willing to put his head where it hurts.

Good luck Alex. You surpassed my expectations as a City player and never let the side down.

18. spesupersydera

spesupersydera Well-Known Member

add to that ...... happy to be a squad player, never rocked the boat when he was dropped - I hope he does well at Wigan.

19. gtigerbackin hull

gtigerbackin hull Well-Known Member

I liked him. never a grumble, good luck for the future.

Polly13 likes this.
  20. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

I can sense it coming..... a stinging 15 liner full of **** asterisks.
    Guess who will be blamed for the FAC defeat v Arsenal, the early Europa Cup exit, relegation in 2015, our unattractive style of play and chronic NHS overcrowding ?

Polly13 likes this.