1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Broken Record?

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by YorkieLancsHampyLondoner, May 21, 2011.

1. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Where have we heard this before? Guess whose words...

“We’re working behind the scenes, there’s nothing that is imminent at this moment in time but that doesn’t mean the situation might not change in 24 or 48 hours.

“But at the moment there’s nothing imminently in the pipeline which will come to fruition in the next 48 hours.”

“I do not get involved in discussions about speculation or about individual players until we have something to announce one way or another.”

2. wellyblue

wellyblue Well-Known Member

3. Rushmere

Rushmere Member

Same old, same old then ..... but we live in hope

4. cheddyblue

cheddyblue Member

5. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Please don't defamate my favourite cartoon characters cheddy

6. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Yorkie What do you expect? Do you seriously expect that we should have signed at least a couple of players by now! <doh>

I think we have to put what Clegg has said into context and be fair to him. The season has only just finished and most players and staff are on holiday at the moment. You could argue with some justification that our players went on holiday from Easter but that's another issue! We don't know what's going on behind the scenes and it could be that some of our targets are still involved in the playoffs or simply weighing up their options. As for the Sharp bid I think its right for the club not to rush in with another hugely inflated bid. There is still plenty of time to get deals done as we are not out of May yet.

We need at least 6 quality replacements and these deals simply aren't done overnight. I would be annoyed if we have bids accepted and then we can't agree terms with the players concerned. We are being linked with some quality players and I am confident that this year we will get it right in the transfer market. Clegg has previous form with this but we should be patient and wait and see what happens.

COYB Up the Town!

7. Rushmere

Rushmere Member

Absolutely right JWM but you have also highlighted my fear, deals agreed - terms rejected = no change.

8. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Latest word on the street is that we have had a bid of £2.65Million accepted by Donny for Billy Sharp and a deal is close to being finalised (subject to terms <yikes>) early next week!

We have also made a bid of £1.75 Million for Millwall Striker Steve Morrison.
    Keith Treacy and Sean St Ledger both from PNE for £2 Million.
    Peter Whittingham from Cardiff for Undisclosed.

Come on Cleggy you can do it! <ok>

9. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Jwm

please don't tell me that you heard this from an ipswich cabbie!!!!!

10. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Even if that was true - agreeing fees is the easy bit! Getting someone to sign a contract with Simon Clegg leering over their shoulder is the hard part!

11. Yellow Leadbitter

I mentioned a while back we should go in for some Preston players, Treacy and Jones the two midfielders that have stood out when I have seen them, St,Ledger is a must really. I would prefer not to have to rely on Delaney next season.

I just been having a discussion with the father about where Ipswich have gone wrong, while trawling through my emails I found an e-mail that I sent him stating that:

'We should look at signing Wes Hoolahan and Andrew Surman' - I feel slightly sick at this comment now.

12. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Hoolahan + Surman were players I always thought were worth the risk.

I also wanted Jarvis off Gillingham before he went to Wolves, looked a cracking prospect that day I was at Bristol City v Gillingham and look how he's turned out !

Transfer wise - we have been very poor with both Magilton + Keane.

05/06 yeah ok, we came 15th under Royle. However, we'd sold Bent / Kuqi / Miller / Davis. Forster + Parkin were so injury prone, and we were basically without a striker of any use until Lee arrived in January. We would certainly have been top 8 that year had we had more luck upfront and a partnership been allowed to form. A manager who knew exactly what he wanted all day long.

Take Magilton. 07/08 I think, we were absolutely flying at home, yet couldn't buy a win away. Along came the money in December 07. Now I for one was excited. We were somewhere around 6th at the start of January. It was patently obvious we needed a left winger. Walters was such a threat down the right, but I remember thinking " if we can mirror that, or have an actual threat down the left at least I'm sure we'll come top 6 " .

So what did Magilton do ? Buy 3 central midfielders in Quinn / Norris / and Sumo. Unbelievable really !

Magilton's transfers were well - questionable at best. To me he seemed to like to add, however didn't really appear to have a grand plan.
    He did go down to Chester for Walters though, so that was obviously a good move. Wasn't afraid to try lower league players.

As for Keane's. Basically they were often Sunderland / former Sunderland / or Irish. To be fair to Keane, he did really want Shaun Derry off Crystal Palace. That as I recall " uninspired " many of our fans, however Derry was an ever present for QPR who won the league this season.... says something that !

Jewell has come on record and agreed we need that type of player still.

I do have a lot more faith in Jewell actually having a plan and building a side that he actually wants. He's an actual MANAGER for a start, whereas Magilton came in because we were skint and to be fair did quite a good job until he was given the money. Keane would be like having Stalin around, you would be frightened to do anything!

I could be wrong, but have a good feeling Jewell will build a good side for next season. Lets be patient re transfers aswell. There are quite a few decent free transfers around this time too, so that option needs to be fully examined too.

In Jewell we trust.