1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

British Open Golf from the home of Golf St.Andrews

Discussion in 'General Betting Board' started by SaveTheHumans, Jul 15, 2015.

1. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

Hey guys. I haven't the time to get a write up or go into any specifics unfortunately or fortunately depending on what way you view it :) ...anyway, please post your selections and your views for this event.

If anyone wants to add snippets about the course/history please do. I contacted redcgull via pm but he has been busy lately and hasn't the time to get much up.

I will get my selections up pretty soon so all the best and may the best man win.

2. cityhull

cityhull Well-Known Member

I've backed Rose at 25/1
    Hoping Speith does it though as he seems a decent bloke
    May also get involved on Fowler at some point over the 4 days dependent on his start as if he starts well he has a good chance

SaveTheHumans likes this.
  3. beeforsalmon

beeforsalmon Well-Known Member

For a non golfer (pretty much) I do love watching golf and without a doubt the Masters and The Open are by far my favourite two events. I'll usually back 3/4 each tournament and have been known to back mid tournament when said 3/4 whittle down! This year I've pushed the boat out and backed 5. To begin I'm going to try and reason why I'm opposing the world's top 'fit' player Jordan Spieth. The guy putts like something else and he's in terrific form but he's 8/1 and that's too short in these things when there's a few marks against him. Putting price into perspective our very own Rory last year was available at 14/16s as the field was 12/14s bar from memory. Single figure price in a major is rancid. The guys got limited experience here and he's not been very good in previous majors here. The main reason I can't back him is I simply don't think he'll win 3 on the trot. He's good, he's very good but he's not that dominant just yet.

Selections
    Adam Scott 22/1

Always back Scotty here, Butch Harmon back on the bags a help but his putting worries me a tad. However he always brings his A game to the majors and has played here well before. If the stick (broom in his case) gets hot he could win his second major in style.

Louis Oosthazuin 25/1
    Loves links and absolutely was brilliant here 5 years ago. 3 great rounds in the U.S. Open shows he's in good nick.

Jason Day 35/1
    Also played very nice in U.S. Open. Heath concerns and fact he's yet to bag a major bit concerning. Fantastic short game, you need that here.

Bubba Watson 40/1
    As likely to miss the cut as win, just seems a big price for this bomber if he can keep his head in it.

G Mac 140/1
    When I said at the start I normally back 3/4, you can see why with my 5th choice!

All each way, obviously. Good luck :)

4. SaveTheHumans

Apologies to the British firstly for the thread title, I know you'd love it called simply 'The Open', I threw it up in a rush and I always call it the British Open anyway to identify between the US Open and British Open.

We won't get into the politics here!

Three for me this week:

Tommy Fleetwood 70/1
    Is in fine form this season and has good Dunhill links form. Could possibly fall short in a major but ticks a lot of boxes to make the frame here and at 70/1 is a solid each way bet.

Lee Westwood 70/1
    I've fallen back into the trap of backing Lee for a major. I think I was on him every major he either threw away or finished 2nd but I was drawn to him again at the odds. He will find fairways and greens and with his improved short game can hopefully put himself into contention throughout the 4 days.

Bernd Wiesberger 80/1
    Is on top form this season so far proving his like for the links and tough conditions with good showings at the Irish Open and also a wind strewn Sunday at the Alstom Open in France which he won. If he can carry his form on to St.Andrews he can make his presence felt among the games elite.

The last 4 majors have been won by players ranked 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd and going further back over the past 10 Majors it has paid to be with the top 20 ranked players competing in Major events. I've obviously gone against that trend looking for players I feel are value but good luck whoever you side with and let's hope for a great 4 days.

5. beeforsalmon

Never done a First Round Leader bet before but I have now... Dubuisson 50/1 (e/w top 6). The word is the early starters have the calmest weather. Friday will be windy throughout!

6. SaveTheHumans

I wouldn't put anyone off the 6/1 for Paul Dunne to be leading Amateur for the week and land the silver medal. Beat a lot of decent players at Woburn to get here and he just failed to make the cut at Hoylake last year. Looking at the rest of the Amateurs in the field I reckon Dunne has a decent chance of taking the silver medal this week.

7. Talal El

Talal El Well-Known Member

Sergio 40s

Fowler 22s

But the one carrying most of my money will be bomber Dustin Johnson. Dustin to bounce back ala Rory after his masters meltdown to smash it at Congressional. Course is made for the bomber

8. Talal El

Talal El Well-Known Member

Butch Harmon on the bag <laugh> <laugh> <laugh> brilliant beef!

9. Fabulous Fabio

Fabulous Fabio Well-Known Member

My bets for the week are Dustin Johnson (12/1), Louis Oosthuizen (25/1), Brooks Koepka (70/1), Danny Willett (100/1) and Joost Luiten(125/1)

10. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Get your money on Stenson. He'll win cos at the last minute I've deserted him. Have backed him in most majors over the last 2/3 years in the belief that he'll win one but he's let me down when in contention too many times and at 20s I don't think he's value anymore. So Casey at 35s and Sullivan at 175s.
    Being a sentimental old sod I'd love to see Tom Watson make it to the weekend and have the chance of a fitting reception up the last on Sunday. Legend.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015

11. SaveTheHumans

All the course record holders are in town this week as well:

Victor Dubuisson
    Geroge Coetzee
    Paul Casey
    Louis Oosthuizen
    Tommy Fleetwood

..These guys have all shot 62 (-10) here during their careers.

Will the record go this week? The weather says it's tomorrow or not at all!

12. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

First round leader:

Schwartzel @60s

Donaldson @240s

Ryan Palmer @90s

I like to bet on tournament winner in play so il see how things begin to shake out in tricky conditions and see if there is any value knocking about.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  13. SaveTheHumans

Good scoring as expected today. John Daly even tipping along nicely..for now.

BEWARE: The Sud Africans are lurking

14. Fabulous Fabio

Fabulous Fabio Well-Known Member

Come on DJ!!!

Only 3 more days to last at the top of the leaderboard big man.

15. SaveTheHumans

Good day at St.Andrews with loads of our selections in with a shout so all to play for going into day 2 on Friday where the conditions are set to toughen up.

Leader board : (forum picks only)
    1.. D.Johnson (-7)

T2.. J.Day, D Willet (-6)

T8.. J Spieth, L Oosthuizen (-8 )

T20.. P Dunne(A), T Fleetwood, (-3)

T28.. P.Casey, A.Scott, S.Garcia (-2)

T45.. L Westwood, A Sullivan, B Watson, B Koepka, M Kaymer, J Rose (-1)

T67.. G McDowell, B Wiesberger, R Fowler (E)

T91.. H Stenson (+1)

T115.. J Luiten (+2)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  16. beeforsalmon

Happy enough to have Scott, Day and Oosthuizen in good posys at the half way stage. Dustin has crumbled too often in the past for me to worry too much about him.

17. SaveTheHumans

Looking very good indeed Beefy, good shouts. My old man has Oosthuizen backed also, so with my picks looking more or less gone barring a miracle I will be rooting for him also. All the best <ok>

Let's hope the weather stays in check for a while, you'd hardly know it's fecking summer would ya ???

18. SaveTheHumans

Marc Leishman making a great charge this morning.

Tiger was -19 here in 2000 and with the conditions today being as soft as you will ever see, could that be touched come tomorrow? You would have to fancy 2 or 3 of the leaders will shoot a 66 or 65 today which would make it possible.

19. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Shovelled a bit more coal on my Casey bet as he's 150/1 this morning. Conditions look benign and low scoring is the order of the day. Casey is a streaky player well capable of getting on a roll and shooting low. Also had a little ew on the Indian fella Lahiri at 200/1. -5 after 2 rounds and looks a solid player. Bhajis all round if he comes up trumps <laugh>

20. SaveTheHumans

Harrington on the March today!

Paul Dunne is doing excellent. I put him up to be leading Amateur but Niebrugge hasn't read the script :) brilliant stuff from both young men though who as I write both are T4 at -8.