1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Bristol Rovers (H)

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Miketyson2007Junior

Miketyson2007Junior Well-Known Member

Novak's sending off forced us into out passing Rovers. We would've been lumping balls if he stayed on.

Our midfield has gone from static to dynamic in one window, fair play to Robinson.

Fosu looks very impressive, the fact that I barely noticed Holmes highlights this.

2. Miketyson2007Junior

I only noticed our 10 men when Watt came on and we essentially became 9 men... The obvious weaknesses are our lack of forward cover and Amos who looked really shaky.

3. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Plus points - 3 points and Novak suspended for 3 games.

4. Butterfield

Butterfield Well-Known Member

We may never lose again

5. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

Really enjoyed that, which seemed unlikely when Novak got sent off. Silly challenge and I didn't applaud him off. But what a performance by the rest. Fosu and Kashi looked class, ditto Holmes.
    Amos did a couple of flappy things that made me worrry, and Watt looked very unfit, and his decision making wasn't good. But that' s one to celebrate- 90 minutes with 10 men is a really big statement. And enjoyed KR 's emthusiasm. Long may it continue.

lardiman and Miketyson2007Junior like this.
  6. DickPlumb

DickPlumb Well-Known Member

Very impressed with the shape of the side, the work ethic and the fitness. We would have lost that game last season. We now have no centre forwards for the next few games. Watt is one lazy ****er, he looked completely disinterested. From my angle it looked like a terrible tackle from Novak. It looks like Magennis is out for at least two weeks.

To get promoted you need to grind out results and we did just that. It was good to see more people in the Stadium and I think the sending off galvanised the fans as well as the players.

7. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

I've always defended Watt but it's clear he's not interested in being at Charlton. I personally worry about his mental state - his entire free time is seemingly spent in front of his TV playing games and watching movies.

DickPlumb likes this.
  8. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

TWWW's career as a pro footballer must be coming to an end. I thought Holmes ran his legs off, and was our best summer signing. Amos looked shaky to start with but looked quite assured in the second half. Pearce, Bauer and Kashi were a solid backbone, and Konsa will have to wait his turn. Fosu looked excellent going forward, not sure about his defending, but the main thing for me was the team spirit. I really appreciated that.

9. DickPlumb

DickPlumb Well-Known Member

I heard from someone at the ground that we are close to getting a new forward in. I don't know how true it is.

10. Miketyson2007Junior

I thought Fosu defended really well considering he's a winger

11. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

I've heard zilch since Miller but it's evident we need another forward. I'd also feel happier having another body in to cover for JFC and Kashi who've struggled with injuries.

12. chaperonek9

chaperonek9 Active Member

We have Aribo and Reeves...?

13. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Reeves is more of an attacking midfielder I'd say - playing behind the striker.

Some of KR's post match comments are odd. Also says he told Watt to not close down their defenders as "they can't score".

14. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

Entertaining game and a deserved 3 points I thought.
    The original 10 men after Novak's dismissal defended well, kept their composure and ended up well on top against a Bristol Rovers side that looked good for 20 minutes, then seemed to have very little in their locker.
    Fosu looked tricky, Holmes magnificent again, Billy Clarke did good work...nobody let the team down - until the substitutions.

Tony Watt almost threw away our 1-0 advantage he was such a liability. The ball just kept coming back, he could hardly run or even stay on his feet. An utter disgrace after the crowd had sung his name.
    Like Novak, Watt needs to be gone - sold or loaned, I don't care.

Ben Amos looked wobbly at times but he made a couple of decent saves and kept a clean sheet.
    Ten men or not, we wanted that result more than Rovers did, we played better for each other and were hungrier than them. Closing down, blocked shots, and all the gamesmanship too. Used to great effect and we got the prize.

I know it's very early days and too much should never be read into the opening day result, but If we can show that hunger and spirit regularly, this could be a very exciting season.

PS:
    The fans played their part too, very loud and positive many times during the match.
    They could see how hard the team was trying, how much they wanted that win.

And well done to that bloke for winning £10,500 in the Crossbar Challenge at half time! :emoticon-0169-dance

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    Ken Shabby likes this.
  15. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

If Robinson told Tony Watt not to hassle Rovers' defenders what was the point of him being on the pitch?
    As soon as Watt came on, the ball began coming back into our half ever more frequently. He watched it sail over his head. He jumped around half-heartedly. He hardly bothered running and he lost his footing several times.

Bringing TW on was Robinson's only serious mistake during the game I thought. But giving him daft instructions as well counts as a separate error.

16. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

It's hard to believe, but TWWW used to be a decent footballer. He looks quite unco-ordinated now when he has the ball. I'd suggest he has a thorough medical to find if there's an underlying problem. I've never known such a rapid decline in an athlete.

Ken Shabby likes this.
  17. The Kish

The Kish Well-Known Member

The opening day of the 2006/07 season saw a 3-1 defeat away to West Ham in Dowie's first game, the main contributory factor being a red card for Djimi Traore. We all know what happened next that season...

I don't think it's an understatement to say that that was an excellent win, and very important psychologically!

18. Chippy / Glory

Chippy / Glory Senior Member

Good luck.
    Expect you to take the wallies place in the championship next season... How sweet would that feel?

DickPlumb likes this.
  19. Miketyson2007

Miketyson2007 Well-Known Member

Diego Poyet ?

Miketyson2007Junior likes this.
  20. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Great shout that. Such a waste - sad times.