1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Bristol City's standing

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by NickH, Dec 30, 2016.

1. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Understandably, the mood surrounding Bristol City and it's supporters is rather down at the moment. An outstanding start and the possibility of a playoff challenge has undoubtedly been squandered, with the possibility of a relegation battle quickly becoming a probability.

There'll already be those calling for the manager's head, though that'd be a pretty extreme action to take at this stage. A new manager would benefit from being in place before a transfer window opens, though, despite the poor recent form, City aren't yet at such a crisis point to think that replacing the manager is the only way to offer a chance of survival, and it is generally accepted that chopping and changing managers regularly isn't usually a recipe for success.

I personally have been very unimpressed with the side since the defeat at Cardiff and things need to change, though at the same time, I've tried to remain philosophical about what is reasonable to expect of the club, by considering City's standing amongst other clubs amongst the top three divisions.

Naturally, pretty much every Premiership team has to be considered as bigger clubs than City, though Bournemouth are enjoying being something of an anomaly at this moment in time (thanks in part to financial backing). It could also be argued that we could look at Burnley and Hull and think that their resources aren't so much greater than ours.

Into the Championship and there's barely a team there that doesn't have experience of being in the Premiership at some point - the term 'sleeping giant' could apply to any number of sides. For me, Brighton stand out as the current shining example of the type of progress we should aspire to, whilst Huddersfield are the only other side to stand out as a team that is over-performing (though there should be recognition of Preston for their solid mid-table position, similarly for Brentford).

Beneath us, Nottingham Forest are a side that really ought to be doing better, whilst Cardiff and QPR seem to be suffering from hangovers from their respective owners' spending sprees from recent years being brought to an end. Blackburn also should be capable of so much more, with only Burton and Rotherham the sides you'd expect to struggle at this level, with Wigan similarly having the sole target of survival.

In League One, there are a smattering of sides with what I would consider better or comparable stature/history to us; those being Sheffield United, Bolton and Charlton, with a gentle nod towards Millwall perhaps.

The point I'm making is that, to a neutral, our standing is probably about par. That's not to say we shouldn't have ambitions or expectations of more - on the contrary, I think with the investment that's been made to the playing squad and facilities alike we and Steve Landown should expect to see some more progress, with genuine aspirations of challenging for promotion in the next few (two?) years. Relegation would be complete and utter failure.

On the subject of Steve Lansdown, I do seem to read more and more criticism of him recently and I personally think it's unfair and ungrateful. None of us know what decisions he makes on a day to day basis, but what is for sure is that he's ploughed many millions of pounds and many hours of his time into the club he supports in order to try and improve it. With the utmost respect to the fine readers of football forums, I suspect he's a more learned and capable owner than any of us would likely to be.

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  2. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I agree with most of this.

I think you are correct about what most neutrals will think of us. I would also point out Crystal Palace, Swansea and Hull as 'similar' to ourselves and there is no reason why we cannot emulate their successes.

We have money, a large catchment area, a nice shiny new stadium - and STILL we are stuttering. The only difference I can see is that we now have a nice bar to have a pre-match drink in and a nice stand from which to watch the same old same old unfold on the pitch!!!!

Edited to add: this isn't a direct criticism of SL - he must be feeling the same frustration that despite his input we are still the same on the pitch, whilst other clubs (Burnley, Bournemouth - even Blackpool FFS) breezed past us to the promised land.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  3. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Same old world down at the Gate, but at least you can watch the dross unfold in comfort now. I suppose that could be considered an improvement when the pies aren't dished out next to the toilets as they were many years ago.

4. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

On the subject of Steve Lansdown, I do seem to read more and more criticism of him recently and I personally think it's unfair and ungrateful. None of us know what decisions he makes on a day to day basis, but what is for sure is that he's ploughed many millions of pounds and many hours of his time into the club he supports in order to try and improve it. With the utmost respect to the fine readers of football forums, I suspect he's a more learned and capable owner than any of us would likely to be.

He is going to have to make a hard decision shortly if this run continuous over the next couple of games.
    If we had his wealth we could have a go,however as we do not,we have to go with the flow.

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  5. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

NICK ... long comment and reiterations of what most have said however nice of you to lump it into one lump and confirm you are a neutral .... on the fence ...jury's out etc etc etc ...:emoticon-0169-dance