1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Bristol City v QPR

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, Apr 14, 2017.

1. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

QPR will head west down the M4 to take on Bristol City in Good Friday’s bank holiday Championship fixture.

This is just one of three remaining away fixtures with the R’s still to play Brentford and Norwich on the road this term.

Bristol City are in 21st place scrapping for survival although last week’s 3-1 victory over Wolves has given them a four point gap over Blackburn in the fight to stay in the Championship. They will know a victory could go a long way to securing their future with Blackburn having to go to Nottingham Forest – who could yet get dragged into the relegation scrap.

Not many would have predicted to have seen City in this position after the first ten games of the season. They looked a slick side playing nice attractive football with a potential goal machine in Tammy Abraham up front. In fairness to the England under-21 striker, he’s maintained his form for pretty much most of the season, scoring 21 goals, but the same can’t be said for his teammates.

City’s dramatic fall started in December where they went on an eight game losing streak and won just one league match in the space of two months. Since February their form has improved but two defeats in the last three games including a heavy one to Preston has just put the pressure slightly back on them.

If they can get through this season then the Robins will see the campaign as a massive learning curve. Lee Johnson is a highly thought of young manager and there are some extremely talented players amongst their playing ranks that have performed well in this league before but for some reason it’s just not clicked for them this year. However, having spent eight of the last ten season’s in the Championship – City will feel this is a division they very much belong in.

Ian Holloway will be the first to admit that things haven’t quite gone to plan since QPR returned from the international break two weeks ago. The R’s have been defeated in all three games but certainly deserved a point against Aston Villa and were also unlucky to be defeated against Brighton last Friday. But having seen such a turnaround in both results and performances since January, Ollie won’t want to see the season fizzle out in disappointment.

Friday will be a special match for midfielder Luke Freeman as he returns to the club he spent two and half years at with Matt Smith also enjoying a successful loan period at Ashton Gate in 2015.

When the two sides met back in October it was a tight affair that was settled through a 75th minute strike from Idrissa Sylla.

TEAM NEWS

QPR: Boss Ian Holloway was playing his cards close to his chest but midfielder Jordan Cousins is out for the remainder of the season with a quad injury.

Bristol City:Milan Djuric is set to return to training today whilst former R's midfielder Gary O'Neil remains sidelined.

Starting Xl's?

Fielding,

Little, Flint, Wright, Bryan,

Brownhill, Smith, Pack, Paterson,

Abraham, Taylor.

Key Player: Tammy Abraham – Despite City’s league position the Chelsea loanee has been one of the league’s best strikers this season and is deadly in front of goal.

PRE MATCH TALK

Ian Holloway: "This is a really important game and if we can put this one to bed we won’t have to look over our shoulder in any way, shape or form. What we have to do is produce a performance that will nullify them, and allow us to attack them. We’ve got a big game on our hands here, make no mistake about it."

Lee Johnson: It's a big, big weekend, there's no hiding from that. QPR are a good side and we'll see a few familiar faces tomorrow. Ian Holloway has history in Bristol and I'm sure he'll get a warm welcome! He's a good guy and has done well there."

QPR Fan Miss J Perez

MATCH ODDS

QPR win: 3/1
    Draw: 5/2
    Bristol City: 10/11
    QPR first goal scorer: Conor Washington 13/2
    Bristol City first goal scorer: Tammy Abraham 10/3

LAST TIME OUT

QPR 1-0 Bristol City - Championship, Tuesday 18th October 2016
    QPR goal-scorer: Idrissa Sylla

HEAD TO HEAD
    (In all competitions)

QPR wins: 33
    Draws: 25
    Bristol City wins: 25

MATCH OFFICIALS

Referee: Jeremy Simpson
    Assistant Referees: Daniel Leach and Timothy Wood
    Fourth official: Simon Hooper

2. UTRs

UTRs Senile Member

Many thanks once again Mr 9's for another top match thread Bro<ok>

Up the Rangers<cheers>

kiwiqpr and QPR999 like this.
  3. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Miss j Perez
    Where do you find em 9s
    Do they now send in photos in the hope of being included in the match day thread

We want Stacy
    We want Stacy
    We want stacy

NorwayRanger and Tramore Ranger like this.
  4. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

They are certainly in at the wrong end of the table and Wigan's win last night will have them fired up. The win for us would see us safe by the numbers so reasonable incentive for us too.

Who wants it more? I hope it is us.

5. sheffordqpr

sheffordqpr Well-Known Member

I get one opportunity a year. I HAD to do it!!

Nice Bristols!

6. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Although it's a Bank Holiday here it's not a Public Holiday so normal working day unless you work for a Bank or the Civil Service, but will hopefully be able to keep tabs on things.........

Nice OP 999's as always......

7. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

1,700 QPR fans are making the 116 mile journey to Ashton Gate today. Sadly I'm not one of them as I have family arriving from Australia this afternoon and I have to pick them up from Heathrow. I went there last season and their west stand was under construction. I see that it's been completed now (the one on the left ) ...

8. Totallyqpr

Totallyqpr Well-Known Member

Today's game is the so called "international tv game" which entails that it is on tv everywhere but the UK. I'll be watching!
    Come on u RRRRRRRRRRRsss!!!!!!!!

QPRski and Tramore Ranger like this.
  9. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Decided to be responsible and get some work done today. As dislikeable a team as this lot are, this league is looking very Northern next year so I think I'd rather see Blackburn and Wigan go.

10. Bwood_Ranger

So there will be streams knocking about?

11. Totallyqpr

Totallyqpr Well-Known Member

Certainly!

For example:
    http://firstrowne.eu/

Tramore Ranger likes this.
  12. Bwood_Ranger

Have to have a couple of quid on Freeman if he plays

Oooh arrgh it's Ambrosia

13. Tramore Ranger

Forum Moderator

Something to pass the time before kick off.....

A throw back to 1969, many on here wouldn't have seen Rodney in the flesh so to speak but here he is in full flow against Swindon.......

This was the season after we were relegated from our 1st season in the top flight, R's top of the table at the time and over 22000 at the game.......

Should also acknowledge a poster on LFW for originally posting.....

14. Rodney

Rodney Well-Known Member

I really like the team shown in the OP but I don't think they'll let us start with 12 players on the pitch. Shame.

QPRski likes this.
  15. Tramore Ranger

Forum Moderator

<laugh> Well spotted Rodney.......

Must admit didn't look too closely at 999's line up, just skip to the weekly pin up, bit like reading from the sports pages in the papers......

16. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

I think it is a very original and clever way of playing both wing-backs and traditional wingers. :)

17. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Great. I look forward to watching the match. :)

18. Rodney

Rodney Well-Known Member

Why stop at 12? 5-3-4, plus a keeper, would give us both width and control of the midfield.

19. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

I think that was both Ollie's and Nines' idea.

It's a pity that you highlighted the slight rule infringement.

On the other hand, it may be a blessing, as if we got docked 10 points we might have got relegated. :)

20. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Well done Rodney, I realised just after I posted the thread that the team consisted of 12 players. But as it was so late I couldn't be arsed to configure a new one as my bed was beckoning. I did wonder if anyone would spot it.