1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

brings back memories

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by john kays hard as nails, Jan 30, 2011.

1. john kays hard as nails

alright fellas! first post, with the chelski game just around the corner it brings back memories of past matches against them! everyone remembers superkev's goal at the sol in the 4-1 rout,but for me gordon armstrongs last min header in the q/f replay.in the mainstand paddocks that night what a goal what a night ' the first match without my dad just me pals knew then it wouldn't be the last Come on sland

2. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I remember that goal like it was yesterday, i was 12 at the time.

I wasn't at the game, i don't know why, we crammed about 6 of us into the ivy house doorway to watch it on tv.

Fantastic.

3. Wherewereyou

Wherewereyou Guest

I was at the 85 Semi Final second leg. Brilliant night, but it got a bit hairy!

4. Me and Julio down by the school yard

I was at the tie in Stamford bridge in 92. That was a bit hairy, sitting with the home fans, coat done up to my chin to hide the red and white stripes!

5. 9MILSAFC

9MILSAFC New Member

I was there as well, what a night on the Kings Road

6. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

I watched it in a pub in Fallowfield in Manchester, during my student days. Surrounded by chelsea fans (well students) I went nuts when Gord scored that goal. I jumped up and head-butted the wall in front of me in a mock retake of Armstrongs thumping header - somewhat spontaneous. I was definitely the only Mackem in the bar and no-one came near me after that, bar a couple of mates I was drinking with, one of whom was Chelsea who got an absolute ribbing. I was rather drunk that evening........... oh happy days.

7. Lever Malone

Lever Malone Member

Hmmmm A student getting drunk. That must be a first!!!! :p

I was at the game at Chelsea when they threw everything at us, the fans I mean not the Chelsea team, including the kitchen sink I guess. It was the only time I've been frightened for my own safety at a match.

8. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

It was, never touched a drop before that match lever! Honest. I couldn't take the tension any longer and I ain't looked back. My match nerves don't get any better either!

I remember watching the Chlesea 2nd leg and thinking crikey, I'm glad I'm not down there. I went to see Millwall v Man City at the old Maine Rd the same (or season before) with one student pal who was a Millwall fan. In the away end. Never, ever again.........I have the worst cockney accent going and had to rely on him to talk to people around us who were scoping us out. I think I managed 3 'alwites' the whole match before leaving promptly with an irritable sphincter and then having to do an equally bad fake Manc accent to get home through the City crowds. I probably had a drink that night n'all.

9. trevmacksw

trevmacksw Member

was there for them great games great header from armstrong kevs goal from range was brill still got them imprinted om my mind plain as day class

10. cuteybuns

cuteybuns Active Member

Somewhere deep down in their archives, the BBC has a film of Chelsea v Sunderland, in which Shackleton beat six (repeat SIX) defenders in about ten yards, wrong-footed their goalie, Robertson, and just strolled it into the net. Shack wasn't the greatest all-round player I ever saw (Maradona was undoubtedly that) but I have honestly never seen ball skills like he had. Forget Maradonna, Best, and Ronaldo, nobody could do the things he could with a ball at his feet. A truly magical ball artist.

Miss you, Shack.