1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Bring on the Villa

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

So, what would have happened if we had started as we finished, we would have won!!
    Taxi for MM!!

2. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Absolutely, great last 10 mins.....taking risks, surging forward, could have been 5 goals!
    Glad to see Freddie's appetite back too.

And, dare I say it, all credit to MM again for subs.

I am....will be staying with this interesting season a while longer.

Scowey and whitestallionblue73 like this.
  3. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Thoughts on the game -

- We stopped Villa creating f all so that's a fantastic defensive effort.
    - In doing so, we also ensured we created absolutely nowt!
    - Pitman lone striker? Best HAS to play when fit. Offered so much more in the limited time he was on than poor Brett did the other 85.
    - What a stoppage time! God knows what happened to Villa then.

All in all, despite us battering Villa for the eight minutes of stoppage time a draw ultimately was the right result.

From a win the game perspective we needed change on 63, not 85!

4. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

From what I saw of the game... pretty standard performance from Mick McCarthy's Ipswich

Off the ball we were superb, on the ball we were terrible (nothing new there then!!).

Adam Webster looks a great signing and the most comfortable player on the ball.
    Chambers was woeful, put him at CB or don't play him
    Sears played well but needs to be up top in a 2. His movement is underrated it's just a shame he's in a team who can't make the most of this by the way we play. I think there could be a good partnership there with Best (when fit). Unlucky today should've scored
    Standard Skuse, doesn't demand the ball enough or pass and move, there were many occasions where we had the chance to move up the pitch because Skuse was in space but he didn't make him self available or run into the space.
    Bishop still looks a little rusty but this will come with game time (I hope he gets it)
    Pitman definitely is not a striker who can play up top by himself
    We looked a lot better when Best and Varney came on. Best looked decent

It was an absolutely dire game as per usual bar the last 10 minutes when it was very entertaining. We never get to see entertaining football not even from the opposition because we're a spoiling team and bring the opposition down to our level.

We've got some decent players in there now, we're just not set up or told to play with the football. It's actually making me start to question now for the first time in Micks reign (bar the full back positions) I think we could potentially be okay if Mick left now (I'm not advocating this yet!!) and got a more progressive manager in, we may not end the season much differently in terms of points but god it'd be more interesting. It seems the team is evolving far quicker than Micks tactics,he's got the players in to play football we're just not doing it yet!!

I'm still a little disappointed that Mick has brought Williams in, whilst he's a good player I think him coming in could well be the detriment of our youngsters. For us to be really challenging up the top I think we need:

2 new full backs
    1 CM play maker (to replace Skuse)
    and 1 more target man although I'm interested to see how Best develops

5. whitestallionblue73

whitestallionblue73 Active Member

Well would have taken 4 points from the games against Derby and Villa and 2 clean sheets, so more positives then negatives for now.

6. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

First half I thought there was little between the sides.Second half we did our usual and seemed happy to stifle Villa and just settle for not losing until the last 10 minutes when we decided to go for them.
    Lawrence impressed but Chambers and Douglas were total gash,how either of them make it into the side is beyond belief.Sears was very unlucky not to get at least one goal.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  7. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Nice post ptc <ok>

Forgot to check if it was on Bein :emoticon-0101-sadsm and couldn't catch much commentary at work today so difficult to comment on the game.
    We didn't get beaten by Villa, somebody else will be the victim, so that's good.
    Even after the last two results, I am totally not fussed about when Mick leaves. He keeps us competitive and all that but I'd rather take a leap of faith.
    There is enough at the club to create a decent team, I hope he doesn't waste it.

8. Southcoastoldgaffer

Yep, SD, not getting beat by the premier teams with so much more talent is a big plus.
    But I do wish we would give it a real go with flair for the first 30..... like the last 10!

San Diego and Spanish like this.
  9. Westlake33

Defensively that's apparently one goal conceded from open play in 5 or 6 now. Perhaps a little luck with Chambers having that record but if that is the case I'm more than happy with the back 5 playing - I cannot argue with that. The heart in me says " get Emmanuel in now for heavens sake " but defensively we're so well organised at the minute - and that also stems from Douglas who in this system is thriving. The system is looking fantastic defensively.

Knudsen has been much better this season - okay sure, stupid of him at the Madejski but he was very good vs Norwich and looks to have bulked up. Apparently this calendar year only ONE goal has come down his wing I read on TWTD. He's stopping a lot going into the box and his throw in is certainly better. Sooooo happy Bart is in goal, if he carries on the way he is a bid is sadly going to come in January.... grrr.

However, going forwards christ we're a mile off. IF Best can get himself properly fit/ going he really could to a degree replace Murph and he has a lot more pace than people would realise. If Sears gets going, and we get Bish / Williams fully fit around Best in the hole christ we really could have a very nice balance this season.

So pleased 4-4-2 isn't happening this time around as we do not have the players to play it. We're a damn nuisance to break down, and with plenty of attacking players to get properly fit / used to everything I'm cautiously optimistic that Mick could have found a good recipe for this season. Take Villa yesterday, created f all one or two semi decent chances. Chambers did his best to gift them a goal, well done Webster. Derby created naff all for the most part bar 20/25 yard pop shots. Whoop di do!

Okay, lets make one thing clear - the football isn't going to be liquid stuff. It's not going to be pleasing to watch - especially at home where we're supposed to take the game to the opposition and dictate. I don't see us dictating anything! However, away from home I can see us picking up many a point. The system is made for it.

We've actually got depth this season. I'm not a massive Bru fan but he was unused sub. We have Williams, McGoldrick ( don't laugh ) to come back in, Bishop/Best/Lawrence /Grant to get fit, properly going.

Sidenote - bit of a shame the McDonnell's, Dozzell's etc haven't gone out on loan but lets be clear, while we have promising player galore for the first time in quite a while ( cough Keane getting rid of Klug took us miles back ) but the U23s aren't exactly winning games for fun. For Dozzell, playing with 21/22 year olds I don't think is going to hinder his development. I don't think he's quite ready either but he's a talent, clear as day.

COYB.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    Nuggets and Southcoastoldgaffer like this.
  10. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Far better playing 442 imo as we can't play with just one up top, the amount of goals scored recently proves that!!
    Oh and before anyone says we have been playing 433, that's bullshit, more like 451

11. Westlake33

I'll disagree there Spanish - 4-3-3 WITH someone to hit / get players around in Best I think could work well. Like you say though, and the minute it's DEFINITELY been more like 4-5-1 which clearly helps us defensively but going forwards...... Pitman leading the line in this system is just not even worth entertaining. Painful!

4-4-2 ( I was at Brentford ) and I don't think Skuse + either Bru / Douglas at the minute ( perhaps Skuse + Bishop would work ) we're strong enough and can match sides in the middle of the park.

But we'll see! It's desperate times we're needing Leon Best - a journeyman talented player with a poor attitude over his career to be fit.... jesus.... and also Luke Varney who Port Vale were in for. It is what it is, I'll judge us more so after 11 games.

What does please me however is - despite Murphy leaving, McGoldrick being out, Williams not kicking a ball we're in the mix with a positive goal difference. We're a week closer to Williams :)

12. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

Imo Spanish it's 4-5-1 without the ball and 4-3-3 with the ball.......we just don't have the ball often enough.

Yesterday we struggled with basic passing and in my view the worst culprits were Sears and Chambers.....I've said for a while now that Chambers is RB but yesterday he didn't look like a footballer at all.....Sears seems to be unable to weight a pass correctly so anyone receiving a ball from him has a job just to control the ball thus limiting decision making time.

Plus points were Laurence who imo worked hard and has a little bit of guile, Best looks a decent option and reminds me of Troy Deeney.......Webster looks better each time I see him and I don't think we will miss Smith at all.

13. Westlake33

It's supposed to be 4-3-3 with the ball Weighty but i'm with Spanish here - the two wide players are nowhere near the striker and really could do with doing ! A lot if asked from them!

14. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

That's what I said.....I think

15. Southcoastoldgaffer

Unless my old eyes deceived me, it was just the Pitman up front all the game...except last storming 10, when we had 10 up front!! Our widemen- and we do have them- should be slinging the ball across intelligently at every opportunity. But Pitman up front doesnt inspire me!

Westlake33 and Bigalreigned like this.
  16. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

We've traded down,yet again!

17. Westlake33

Positive Best will lead the line when fit.