1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Brexit may not mean Brexit

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Dec 11, 2016.

1. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

Our neighbours are city bankers who were vociferous campaigners for Brexit via social media. There would be a sad irony if the "tens of thousands " of lost city jobs affected them. It was plain to see that the future of London as centre of banking was in massive jeopardy from Brexit. So much was taken for granted. Of course London will stay as strong to the world banking sector - it's London!! Of course we can do a great trade deal with the yanks - we have a 'special relationship'!!!

'Special relationship', our arses. ;)

2. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

People forget that our 'special relationship' was kept in place by the massive war loans we were repaying to them... sure they kept us sweet.....

andytoprankin likes this.
  3. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

Lord King says Brexit brings 'real opportunities'
    please log in to view this image

Kamal AhmedEconomics editor
    Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
    US vs China – Trump tools up
    Lord King, the former governor of the Bank of England, has said that the UK should be "self-confident" about leaving the European Union.

He said there were "real opportunities" for economic reform and new trade deals which meant Brexit could be a success.

He highlighted agricultural reform and a developing relationship with the Republic of Ireland as areas where the UK could be positive.

After Brexit, the Irish border will be the only EU-UK land border.

"I think the challenges we face mean it's not a bed of roses, no one should pretend that, but equally it is not the end of the world and there are some real opportunities that arise from the fact of Brexit we might take," he said in an interview with Radio 4's Today programme.

"There are many opportunities and I think we should look at it in a much more self-confident way than either side is approaching it at present.

"Being out of what is a pretty unsuccessful European Union - particularly in the economic sense - gives us opportunities as well as obviously great political difficulties."

Trade deals
    Lord King suggested that Britain would be better off economically completely out of the EU single market and that there were "question marks" about staying in the customs union as that may constrain the government's ability to sign trade deals with countries outside the Union.

"I think it's more difficult to take advantage of those opportunities," Lord King said when asked about staying inside the customs union after leaving the EU - a position, for example, adopted by Turkey.

"I don't think it makes sense for us to pretend we should remain in the single market and I think there are real question marks about whether it makes sense to remain in the customs union.

"Clearly if we do that we cannot make our own trade deals with other countries."

Immigration
    The government has made it clear it wants to control immigration laws and be outside the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice, two positions which appear to be incompatible with membership of the single market.

Lord King said the government should outline its policies on immigration "sooner rather than later" and that it would be a mistake to put the issue into the "basket" to be negotiated once Article 50 is triggered next year and the formal process of leaving the EU begins.

Lord King defended his successor, Mark Carney, who has faced criticism for being too "political" in warning about the possible economic consequences of leaving the EU.

The former governor said Mr Carney had been put in an "almost impossible position" because of the polarised nature of the debate and had remained well within the Bank of England's remit to outline the possible path of economic growth in the short term should Britain vote to leave the EU.

Lord King said it was too early to tell what the overall effect on the economy would be, despite data since the referendum result being more positive than many economists predicted.

A very well informed and sensible guy.

4. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

All from the man that a fellow BOE member said of; "How can you look back with the benefit of hindsight and see it as a success? We were responsible for financial stability and we utterly failed to take any avoiding action against the greatest financial crisis in our lifetimes". Even as late as the summer of 2008, King did not even see the financial crisis coming.

Seems as nothing much has changed in his outlook.

andytoprankin likes this.
  5. superhorns

King cannot be blamed for the sub prime mortgages, nobody else saw it coming either. He actually did a very good job reparing the damage.

6. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

7. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

The crises was caused by too much cheap money in major western economies. Politicians (Bliar and robber Brown) in the UK did nothing to prevent this, of course the BOE should have seen this and they should have been having some serious conversations with the policticians. I still worry there is too much cheap money around, fortunately it's not being spent to any great extent.

8. superhorns

The Queen 'DID back Brexit - but the BBC didn't report it because they only had a single source'
    • BBC's political editor said she was told that the Queen supported EU withdrawal
    • Laura Kuenssberg claimed to be informed months before story eventually broke
    • Queen reportedly 'let rip' at then deputy prime minister Nick Clegg about Europe
    • Contact told BBC how the Queen spoke of European Union during private lunch
    • The monarch reportedly could not see why Britain could not simply leave the EU
    By Alexander Robertson For Mailonline

PUBLISHED: 13:38, 26 December 2016 | UPDATED: 15:22, 26 December 2016

589shares

View comments

The BBC's political editor has said she was told that the Queen supported EU withdrawal, but did not report it as she could not find a second source.

Laura Kuenssberg said she was told about the alleged comment months before the eventual appearance of The Sun's 'Queen backs Brexit' headline in March.

The front-page story caused one of the biggest rows of the referendum campaign, leading to a successful complaint to press regulator Ipso by Buckingham Palace, which said it was 'misleading'.

The Sun stood by its story, saying it had two sources for the claim that the Queen had 'let rip' at then deputy prime minister Nick Clegg about Europe at a lunch at Windsor Castle.

Scroll down for video

+2
    The BBC's political editor has said she was told that the Queen (pictured) supported EU withdrawal, but did not report it as she could not find a second source

Previous
    SHARE THIS ARTICLE
    The BBC political editor told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: 'In a casual chat with one of my contacts, they said 'Do you know what?

'At some point this is going to come out, and I'm telling you now and I don't know if the BBC would touch it, but the Queen told people at a private lunch that she thinks that we should leave the EU'.

+2

Laura Kuenssberg said she was told about the alleged comment months before the eventual appearance of The Sun's 'Queen backs Brexit' headline in March

Mr Clegg tweeted following claims that the Queen had 'let rip' at then deputy prime minister about Europe at a lunch at Windsor Castle

'Apparently at this lunch she said 'I don't see why we can't just get out. What's the problem?'

And a row ensued. 'My jaw hit the floor. Very sadly, I only had one source. I spent the next few days trying to prove it. I couldn't find the evidence.

'Lo and behold, a couple of months later, someone else did. Of course then ensued a huge row between that newspaper and the Palace over what had really been said or not said.

'There were lots of moments in the referendum campaign but for me that was one when my jaw did hit the floor.

'Very frustratingly, the story did eventually emerge, whether it was true or not.'

Nick Clegg denies having a row with the Queen over Brexit

Loaded: 0%
    Progress: 0%
    0:02
    Previous
    Play
    Skip
    Mute

Current Time0:02
    /
    Duration Time0:44
    Fullscreen
    Need Text

SHARE THIS

MORE VIDEOS

Nick Clegg on Brexit: Boris is just 'Trump with a thesaurus'

Nick Clegg shares a selfie with TOWIE star Joey Essex

Nick Clegg insists the era of public sector pay restraint is…

Nick Clegg says arming the police would be a major cha…

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...idn-t-report-single-source.html#ixzz4TxYQIMvI
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

MORE SENSIBLE SUPPORTERS OF BREXIT

9. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

Elizabeth Windsor, as you well know, is forbidden by the constitution from expressing political opinions in public places. I do not think that after so long in her job she we suddenly break that silence - and why with Clegg ? I think this shows your desparation more than a little - I mean Brexiters are a little thin on the ground now.

10. superhorns

The queen obviously did have that conversation with EU loving Clegg. There is growing support everywhere for Brexit, roll on next year.

11. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

The Queen is reported to have been "disappointed" with Theresa May after she declined to share details of her plans for leaving the European Union during her first visit to Balmoral.
    The Times quoted a "source close to the monarch" as saying the Prime Minister stuck to her "Brexit means Brexit" line when she went to stay in Scotland .
    A palace spokeswoman said: "By long-established convention we never disclose details of discussions between the Queen and her prime ministers. Nor would we comment on anonymously sourced conjecture of this kind."

12. colognehornet

Actually I don't know why you're wasting your time bringing this on here. Firstly she isn't allowed to express opinions on politics, secondly I don't value her opinions anyway. Thirdly It has to be added that she is hardly likely to support a step which could help to break up the UK. Not that it would do any harm for her to be reduced to (self styled) Queen of England or better still only of Windsor.

13. superhorns

Well I posted it because it is very newsworthy that the monarch, despite being above politics , felt so strongly that she felt she had to scold that wet Clegg. She is obviously looking forward to regaining important trade links with member countries of the commonwealth. She also knows the Scots will not vote for separation from the rest of the UK because they know they are subsidised by mainly England and most of their trade is with the rest of the UK.

14. colognehornet

And where do you get your evidence from, or do you have a hotline to the Palace ? Have you not yet realized that 99% of what newspapers say about anyone from her family has to be taken with a pinch of salt. Besides which, as I said, I do not value her opinion anyway.

15. superhorns

There were at least two witnesses. The story was dropped because of the sensitive nature. She's definitely a Brexiteer.:emoticon-0125-mmm:

:emoticon-0125-mmm:

16. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Although she was quite happy to do so during the Scottish Independence Referendum...

17. colognehornet

Where is Cromwell when you need him ??

superhorns likes this.
  18. superhorns

We really need Sir Francis Drake to stuff those johnny foreigners in the negotiations.:emoticon-0102-bigsm

19. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

As David Davis has said the government will have nothing to tell the nation before February at the earliest, meaning it could be March before they have a plan. This has to be the longest sick note in history. Meanwhile all the EU have to do is sit back and wait for the writhing to cease.

20. superhorns

The overwhelming vote in parliament to invoke article 50 by end of March 2017 ensures all going to plan, roll on March.