1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Boxing

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Cyclonic, May 17, 2015.

1. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

As there seems to be a bit of a following for the sweet science, I thought it might be a fair to middling idea to have our own fight forum. To kick it off I thought maybe we should take a look at a man considered by a lot of people to be the best pound for pound fighter in the world today, the unbeaten WBC Flyweight Champion Roman Gonzalez. He's also held the Minimumweight and Light Flyweight Titles, and his record stands at 43-0 with a fantastic 38 knockouts. The clip provides us with some serious insights into the way the great Nicaraguan goes about his business.

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  2. Cyclonic

And as a follow up to the above, there is talk of Gonzalez stepping up a division to fight the WBO Super Flyweight Champion Naoya Inoue at the end of the year. In the clip below Inoue smashed Omar Narvaez who was looking to defend his Super Flyweight Title for defense number 12. Narvaez had also defended the WBO Flyweight Title 16 times, so he was a class act, yet Inoue outclassed him. Gonzalez v Inoue would be a monster of a fight.

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  3. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Don't particularly like boxing, reminds of the Romans in the Colosseum i.e. crowds baying for blood, most times two sad buggers trying to bash each other's brains out? My own dad was a great boxing fan; he failed to get me interested in it. Anyway, good luck with your boxing thread, I'm sure you and Smokey will keep it moving along.

4. Cyclonic

<laugh> Any more than two is a crowd Swanny.

5. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Well, having said all that and proving without any doubt that I am a true hypocrite, Rocky Marciano would have absolutely flattened Joe Louis (much too nice a guy IMO), plus most of the so-called heavyweight champions of this era. That's my swan-song (sorry <doh>) on this thread, but good luck!

Cyclonic likes this.
  6. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

There is a Not606 Boxing forum, you might find some more like-minded folks there <ok>

7. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

Rocky Marciano did indeed flattened Joe Louis in Louis's last official professional fight but by the time they fought Joe Louis was an ageing, over weight, washed up fighter who had been forced out of retirement by the taxman. It's always difficult to compare fighters in there prime when they weren't around at the same time but Joe Louis was a beast and an unbelievable boxing talent and in my opinion, and that's all it is an opinion, Louis would have beaten Marciano in his prime.

Obviously it's well documented that Marciano ended is career at 49-0 and any record like that, any fighter that retires unbeaten undoubtedly deserves respect but for me he was in the right place at the right time and the era of heavyweight boxing that both proceeded and followed Rocky's era was much better.

One of the things I love about boxing is that it's so subjective. Different people like different things and because we have had so many great era's of the sport it's always going to divide opinion of who is the best pound for pound or best heavyweight etc... Because we'll only ever have opinions we'll never have the pleasure of seeing them fight each other.

Cyclonic likes this.
  8. smokethedeadbadger

Looks pretty special Cyc, he's not someone I know much about, have seen him on the undercard of fights a couple of times and is very exciting.

Cyclonic likes this.
  9. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Removed my own comment removed as it was an error <laugh>

10. Bluesky9

Bluesky9 Philosopher

I don't follow it so much now but growing up I was a big follower and considered Nigel Benn in a league of his own when it came to boxing instinct and bravery. His fight with Gerald McClellan for me epitomises what a Boxers heart is all about, when Benn gets knocked out the ring in the first round he does not know where he is but something gets him back in the ring to fight on, if you compare this to Audley Harrison it shows how much heart counts for.

I think Marvin Hagler was probably the best of my generation, whilst Tyson in his prime was never the greatest boxer but completely unstoppable.

smokethedeadbadger likes this.

11. Cyclonic

Yeah Blue, Tyson at his peak was a fearsome sight.

That's a really interesting point Ron, Ali was a different class of fighter, and I'm not talking about how good he was, but in the way he fought. He was something fresh and new. I suppose the best he had to face was Frazier, and he was one of the greats, but as accomplished as Smokin' Joe was, he probably wasn't as good as Louis and Marciano. The big question is, could Ali have held off Louis and Marciano for 15 rounds? Some will say no, but if forced to have a dollar on the outcome, I'd probably stick with Ali to get there on points. Personal opinion only though.

smokethedeadbadger likes this.
  12. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Don't forget Ali/Clay had the speed and defence to take on fearsome punchers like Foremen and Liston, who had hammered Frazier and Patterson, and knocked them both out. My money would have been on Ali/Clay to have knocked out Marciano as he would have found him very easy to hit - several times.

13. Cyclonic

Jeez Ron, you had me wondering about the quality of Marciano's opponents, so I had a gander at Wiki. I presume the stuff written there is true, if so, he fought some pretty average fighters. The record of some of them is appalling. His title fights were ok, Walcott was a good one, but over the hill at the time as was Charles, who in his prime was decent. He finished his Title career with a bout against the great Archie Moore who was at the time 38. Moore was something else, imagine winning Title fights in his mid 40s. Amazing man.

14. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Here you go:

please log in to view this image

15. Cyclonic

<laugh> At least it wasn't a picture of a smelly, old, used box from Beefy's cricketing days.

16. Cyclonic

Huge night in London on May 30 with three World Titles on the same card.

Kell Brook v Frank Gavin for Brook's IBF Welterweight Title.
    Evegeny Gradovich v Lee Selby for Gradovich's IBF Featherweight Title.
    Jorge Linares v Kevin Mitchell for Linares WBC Lightweight Title.

Early betting.
    Brook 1-10. Gavin 6-1. Is this fight still on?
    Gradovich 2-1. Selby 1-3.
    Linares. 10-11 Mitchell 10-11.

An interesting undercard.
    Anthony Joshua. 1-100. Kevin Johnson 16-1.

17. smokethedeadbadger

Crazy price for Selby at 1-3. I'm not saying he won't win but Gradovich is no pushover. I like Frankie Gavin but he's never quite lined up to his initial promise. I think he'll give Brook a tough fight but I honestly believe Brook is something special and will stop Gavin around 9th or 10th. Joshua takes a big big step up in class so we should learn more about him with this fight. Johnson has never been stopped and has been in with some very good fighters so anyone expecting another Joshua 1st or 2nd round stoppage expect to be disappointed, he might actually get some rounds under his belt. I just hope it isn't all hype and we don't see another David Price/Tony Thompson (I don't think we will).

Onto Kevin Mitchell, will surely be his last chance to fight for a world title and if he's got his head right (which seems the case as of late) then he wins this time simple as that. He's a real talent but had plenty of out of the ring issues previously, these all seem behind him.

Well worth the £20 on box office.

But nefore we get to that, this coming Saturday James De Gale goes to Boston and has a real chance to become Britains first ever Olympic Gold medalist and Professional World Champion

18. Cyclonic

I don't know too much about DeGale or Dirrell except for what I've just read. Bookies can't seem to make up their minds, overall they appear to just side with DeGale, but if betting is any indicator, it can easily go either way. I worry about Dirrell though, he's had some serious neurological problems after being knocked out by a foul blow by Abraham. Obviously DeGale knows his business, so if he nails Dirrell, you might see a terrible stoppage. Athletes are generally given the all clear to resume their careers after such injuries, (given that they pass the exhaustive testing) but as we've seen with the after career tests on US footballers, these kind of injuries can be accumulative. Hope he gets through it ok.

I thought the price on Selby was a bit strange too. Maybe it'll turn as more money pours in.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  19. smokethedeadbadger

He's a decent fighter is Dirrell, but he's past his peak its been 6 years since he took Carl Froch close in the Super 6 tournament and hasn't exactly set the world on fire since then and come saturday night he could just be ripe for the taking. If the fight was happening over this side of the Atlantic then i'd be extremely confident De Gale would win. There's just that niggling doubt that because he's going to America for it then he could be on the wrong end of a decision.

Selby is a decent fighter but i think they are over hyping him a bit, i mean referring to him has the Welsh Mayweather seems a bit much. He's not really fought anyone of any note and the biggest domestic clash for him was a couple of fights back when Ryan Walsh took him close. I want to see a top class performance from Selby win/lose or draw in this fight for me to start to believe in the hype

20. smokethedeadbadger

Congratulations to James De Gale he's become the first ever Brit to win Olympic Gold and a professional world title in becoming the IBF champion of the world. Personally I thought he'd lost the fight and was expecting the judges to announce a split decision win to Dirrell