1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Boxing

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Cyclonic, May 17, 2015.

1. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

This could be really ugly Beefy. The poor bloke from Uruguay that Frank Warren has chosen to feed to Dubois isn't even a heavyweight. Mauricio Barragan, wearing a pair of large white, clunky trainers and a pair of track suit bottoms, couldn't make the minimum heavyweight limit. He's a cruiserweight who'll have to give Dubois a two stone advantage. And while his numbers stands at 15-1-0, he's been beating people with appalling records. His 15 wins have been at the expense of men with the following history, starting from his last fight back to his first. 8-7-0, 3-3-1, 3-2-1, 1-1-0, 3-9-2, 4-1-0, 3-1-2, 3-2-1, 5-6-1, 1-3-0, 5-2-1, 6-6-0, 7-21-4, 0-1-0 & 1-0-0. People are suggesting that Daniel Dubois is a potential heavyweight of note, if so, Frank Warren and the British Boxing Board of Control should know better that to offer up what's likely to be a seriously cruel mismatch.

P.S. I've just read that Mauricio Barragan isn't even a regular cruiserweight, he's a career light heavyweight.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  2. beeforsalmon

beeforsalmon Well-Known Member

Josh Taylor certainly shut O'hara Davies up good and proper in last nights title night. Davies ought to be ashamed of himself quitting like that last night too, an absolute fraud whose level was exposed last night. What a talent this Josh Taylor is, for my money he's the best UK prospect around, he's already worldclass and he'd give anyone in the division a proper fight. I wasn't surprised at all with the ease he won last night, the bookies had it nearly 50/50 before fight time, incredible really.

Their talking Ricky Burns as a possible next fight, Burns would want no part of that, he'd get destroyed. I'd make Taylor a 1/100 shot and I'm not being funny, after Burns saw his wee sparring buddy get totally humiliated last night Burns won't want to be going anywhere Taylor.

But yeah, Josh Taylor :emoticon-0152-heart

smokethedeadbadger and Cyclonic like this.
  3. beeforsalmon

Yes Cyc, a total mismatch the DD fight was indeed. Saw the weigh in and thought to myself crikey he looks a small heavyweight and know I now why! Hopefully we'll see Dubois in a meaningful fight before the years out, sounds like they want to keep him busy and build his experience pretty quick which sounds promising.

Cyclonic likes this.
  4. Cyclonic

Looks like Floyd Mayweather, the man who has the vulgar habit of flaunting his wealth, has his arse in the sling with the American IRS. Instead of having to pay taxes on a rumoured $200,000,000 in earnings in 2015, (Pacquiao fight year) to the federal and state governments, he apparently was exempt from taxes in Nevada. So it looks as though Mayweather might owe a third of the 200 million to the Feds.

According to a site called Law360, Mayweather has asked for time to pay as he doesn't have enough liquid assets. The IRS has resisted the request saying he has enough assets to cover the outstanding debt. On top of what he owes is added a penalty of half a percent per month. If the numbers are close to true, he could owe about hundred million.

Maybe this is why the McGregor bout came upon us so fast.

Ron likes this.
  5. Cyclonic

Gate takings for the Mayweather - McGregor fight is expected to top 80 million. <yikes>

6. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just watching the scorecard this Eubank fight looks rather one sided. After 9 rounds it's Eubanks 90-81.

7. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

And after 10 rounds it's 100-90

8. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Oh FFS now 110-99. Is it worth going on?

9. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

10. beeforsalmon

Eubank Jr can box as well as anyone can, there's no doubting he's talented. I think the Super Series will be very telling and we'll finally see what level Eubank belongs at. Being honest I know little of Eubank Jrs opponent in his first fight, Avni Yildrum, but assuming he wins that he should face George Groves next up. Now Groves, in most people's view, is absolute world level and he's fought the best too, Froch and de Gale. Now where I think Eubank excels in is fighting slightly slower, slightly less refined fighters as himself as he basically kills them with speed, punch volume and shot selection (loves the uppercut a lot mind, but I think that's great, we don't see it enough in big fights). He won't beat Groves with just speed though, Groves has fast hands of his own and Eubanks weakness will be exposed. He carries a lot less power than you think he should, he wins with flurries of punches and the ref steps in, I can't recall any big knock outs he's landed. He'll struggle to beat Groves as he won't drown him with punch volume the way he did last night with a near 40 year old.

smokethedeadbadger likes this.

11. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

I agree Eubank is talented but at what level is a complete unknown. He talks himself up and definitely talks a good fight but between himself and his father they've priced or negotiated him out of some very big fights (£1m twice for Saunders rematch and £3m for GGG). The people around him are hand picking his opponents very carefully to build him up but in this new tournament there'll be no hiding for him. When they put him in with Saunders and he was completely schooled I think it dawned on his team that they'd chucked him in too soon and they (quite rightly) havent wanted to make the same mistake again.

12. beeforsalmon

He's being fed the cherries Daddy is picking for him definitely mate, but I do think that's slightly untrue to say Saunders 'schooled' him. It was a close enough affair relying on memory and I think you can't deny Eubank Jr is a different beast now to what he was then. I think Groves beats him anyway but he has a decent chin Eubank, Abraham caught him a couple of times and he responded stylishly coming back at him. I think it'd be an absolutely huge statement from Groves if he could put him away before the judges scorecards.

It's a bit of a step up for Callum Smith all this but he has two very winnable bouts before the final. I really rate him highly as well but is he ready to beat a prime George Groves in potentially just two fights time?!

Here is a link of the line ups for anyone not up to speed:

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/analysing-the-world-boxing-super-series-draft-picks/

13. smokethedeadbadger

He's definitely a different fighter now that's what I meant by his team realising it was too early for him. Saunders pretty much did what he wanted with him and in my opinion it was only a close card at the end because Saunders eased way off knowing he was so far up. Similar to Quigg/Frampton

14. beeforsalmon

You could well be right smokey, I'd need to rewatch it. I do remember one fighter being well up and easing off as you say, I just couldn't remember which <laugh>

15. smokethedeadbadger

Eubank looked like a rabbit in headlights and by time he realised he was supposed to fight he was too far behind. A rematch would be very very interesting now. I really rate Saunders and Eubank has improved massively since then so would make for a very intriguing matchup. Did you see Lee Selby last night? Him and Frampton has to happen surely

16. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not shown any interest in this Mayweather fight but, having watched a few of McGreggor's fights, his punches are far too telegraphed and I can see Mayweather just dancing around trying to make McGreggor look stupid. His fights remind me of a schoolboy bully and I suspect he will be schooled

17. Cyclonic

Much is being said of McGregor's power Ron, and heaps of it coming from UFC fans, but it has to remembered that they use 4 ounce gloves in that sport, whereas in boxing they use 10s. Mayweather hasn't had a knockout in his last 7 fights, but I think he probably still has the power to take out a complete boxing novice. McGregor has a little advantage in height and reach, and a **** load of years up his sleeve, but I just can't find a way for him to leave the ring looking anything but outclassed.

A $100 to watch it too.

18. beeforsalmon

Yes pal I did indeed, he boxed lovely from the outside Selby, very tidy boxer and a stylish win. I think Frampton would be just a bit too good for him, sounds like it's a fight could happen. Would create huge UK interest as did Frampton/Quigg.

19. smokethedeadbadger

With Selby i think the better the opponent the better he performs but at the present time i'd have to agree with you and would fancy Frampton

20. Cyclonic

On the night of 29 November 1964, the fearsome, heavyweight boxer, Cleveland "Big Cat" Williams was pulled over for a traffic violation by a Huston highway patrolman. As to what actually happened next, nobody really knows, but Williams ended up on the road with a giant hole in his lower torso, courtesy of what's believed to be the impact of a .357 magnum. The officer Dale Witten, stated that the Big Cat was drunk and tried to resist arrest, Williams said that the patrolman raised his weapon with intent. Williams said he defended himself. The fighter would later be fined for a traffic infringement.

Williams said he's been in the back of the patrol car when shot. The bullet ripped through his trousers. As it traveled backwards and down from his left side, it ruptured his colon and small intestine and burned a hole in his ureter. Nerves that controlled his leg movement were damaged and the bullet ended up fracturing his hip. Williams said he fell from the car and blacked out. He later stated that when he came to, the patrolman was into him with the boot.

Over the next seven months, Cleveland Williams underwent four operations. In the process, he lost his right kidney and a couple of metres of small intestine. Upon leaving hospital, he was told he'd never recover the full use of his left leg. From the time of the shooting to his lowest physical point, the Big Cat's weight had dropped from 220 pounds down to somewhere around 160. He'd become a shell of his former self.

But the man wasn't for stopping. Through sheer hard work, he fought his way back into fighting condition. He went on a winning streak that earned him an eventual date in the ring with the world champion Muhammad Ali. The date, 14 November 1966. Ali was 24 and at the peak of his career, Williams was 33 and a light of another day, but he'd trained himself to the minute. He looked fantastic. Sadly, he was destined to meet "The Greatest" at what is considered by a lot of good judges, to be his sublime best. He was breathtaking.

Chaninbar and redcat1 like this.