1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Boxing

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Cyclonic, May 17, 2015.

1. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

Wow, it looks as though Klitschko had gone for speed. He's come in at just 240.5 to Joshua's 250.1. This is the lightest he's fought since 2003. This is the heaviest that Anthony Joshua has ever been. I think most of us know what AJ will probably do, but VK is the real mystery here, especially now that we know the weights.

2. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Well, Wlad at his lowest weight in 14 years either means he has been pitch perfect in the gym or that he is an ageing fighter trying too hard.

Is this similar to De La Hoya when he got back down to Welterweight against Pacman for first time in the best part of a decade?

Or is this a rebirth of a high quality fighter, something like Bernard Hopkins?

We will know in around 24 hours!

Cyclonic likes this.
  3. Cyclonic

BOMB SQUAD!!! BOMB SQUAD!!! Fat Tony and his dance partner Deontay exchange pleasantries. Then weird and wired little brother, eyes rolling in his head, joins in. I think little bro is short a few sheep in the top paddock. <laugh>

4. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

To many unknowns hanging over tonight's fight so silly bets on instead of having a serious educated guess:

Klitschko win round 1 90/1
    Klitschko win round 2 66/1
    Klitschko win first 60 seconds 125/1
    Joshua win first 60 seconds 66/1
    Either fighter to win first 60 seconds 50/1

Just minimum £1 on each

5. Talal El

Talal El Well-Known Member

Don't know where you fellas plan on streaming the fight, I used periscope on Twitter last time out for haye bellew, was great uninterrupted HD stream, if I find it I'll stick it up on here again.

beeforsalmon likes this.
  6. smokethedeadbadger

I normally use this, usually pretty good once you close all the ads to get a picture

http://www.totalsportek.com/

beeforsalmon likes this.
  7. beeforsalmon

beeforsalmon Well-Known Member

Two bets done- I've backed AJ to win in rounds 5-8 @ 11/4 and rounds 9-12 @ 11/2. Closer to the fight we get I'd be surprised if he tries to take Wlad out early, think he'll show some patience and not take many risks early on.

8. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

Come on Klitschko my son. Knock this Joshua lad out

9. stick

stick Bumper King

Steady!

My money is on the young man inside six!

10. smokethedeadbadger

Getting excited now here comes the main event! Serious prediction time so I'm climbing off the fence I'm saying Joshua in 5th round

11. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

Klitschko in the 10th round. Reel in them years big man.

smokethedeadbadger likes this.
  12. stick

stick Bumper King

WOW, some fight that. Well done AJ, huge respect to the oldtimer!

13. beeforsalmon

beeforsalmon Well-Known Member

Good boy AJ, always was your no1 fan :emoticon-0152-heart<laugh>

smokethedeadbadger likes this.
  14. smokethedeadbadger

Great outcome for AJ, got chinned, went down, looked gassed and came back and forced the stoppage. Will come out with massive credit, has a deal with showtime in America already so the Americans will take more of an interest now so AJ/Wilder over in America is massive now

beeforsalmon likes this.
  15. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

****ing hell, what a night. All the family round tonight to watch the big fight. Lovely meal, drinks and tit bits all night topped off with an AJ win. But what a belter of a fight. We were all jumping up and down when it looked as though AJ was taking him out. Then it turned to despair as he wobbled and only just lasted the round. Then Klitschko had AJ reeling and I had visions of Frank Bruno, the one thing I had feared about AJ. In the 11th round it was pandemonium as we were all leaping about, punching the air shouting "go on AJ" and the continued leaping around when it was stopped. Hearts beating fast, heads thumping, the relief was unbelievable. Toasts all round. That was the best I have ever seen Klitschko and AJ beat him. Unforgettable.

TopClass likes this.
  16. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

The whole time the Kitchsko brothers where on top of the heavyweight division it was allegedly a sub standard division, despite the fact Vitali out boxed Lewis and was robbed by the doctor pulling him out for a cut. We where told though that the Klitsckos where dominant in a poor era for heavyweight boxing.

Now though that Anthony Joshua has struggled past what is effectively an old man, knowhere near his old self. I think it's about time some respect was given to both Klitscko brothers.

Make no mistake Joshua had to dig as deep as he ever has, and probably ever will do to beat a 41 year old, that in all honesty is an old man. He can't possibly be in his prime, and he's given Joshua the fight of his life.

A great win for Joshua, and great heart shown by him to come off the floor and win, but massive respect has to go to Wladimir Klitschko who at 41 was so close to causing what would have been a huge upset.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  17. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

An epic of a heavyweight contest by any era standard, and we have waited over a decade for that.

Joshua takes the win yet Klitschko is the man who takes away the most credit. It's a funny old sport!

It was a fight that had all the things we talked about. Joshua's inexperience against Klitschkos ring craft, Joshua's raw power and speed against Klitschkos chin. Two eras colliding, and going hammer and tongues for 11 rounds. It was perfect for the division.

In my pre fight ramble, I said Josh would need to show variety and patience. Unfortunately we didn't see that until the end. There were times in there that he got schooled, to be frank about it. There were times it was obvious that we had an 18 fight Novice against a 64 fight top level operator.

But that's not Joshua's fault...

What was made certain tonight is that in the heavyweight division, and I have said this before, is that there are no fighters in between the bottom and world level where a future champion can learn his craft. There is no way Eddie Hearn would have put Josh in there tonight if Klitschko hadn't lost to Fury. It would have been deemed too early.

Back in the day there were fighters who you could test yourself against and you knew if you couldn't beat them, you could forget world level. The division had been so poor that the jump to Klitschko is a big one....with nothing in between.

AJ hurt Klitschko in R5 but made the fatal mistake of leaning in and taking the deadly short, heavy right hand. It was the vulnerability I mentioned and I could not believe how silly he was. How he clung on I do not know.

AJ learnt more tonight than in his entire career. It was a perfect fight in many ways, and Wlad deserves a rematch if he fancied it.

Opinion will remain divided, and that suits me.

Chaninbar and smokethedeadbadger like this.
  18. Cyclonic

What a nice fight. I'm so glad that Vlad came to do some serious business. I wasn't really all that surprised at the way Klitschko fought, he had to take it to Joshua if he wanted to win, he couldn't be the man who fought Tyson Fury. What I was surprised by though, was Joshua's crispness, especially with the doubling of the jab, and that right over the top was a bomb. The Anthony Joshua of last night was a class above the man of the past. He took a giant step forward in his career, not just because of the win, but in his craft. The one thing I think he learned above all others during this fight, is that he's actually as good as he hoped he's be. The confidence he'll take from this fight will lay a solid platform for the future. We're going to see a much more aggressive and dangerous Anthony Joshua from now on.

I don't know whether Klitschko will force the rematch. He said in the after fight interview, that he has Joshua tied to him, but won't be making any decisions in the near future. I think his efforts last night may have given him a decent claim to a victory over Wilder, and an almost certain win over Parker, but I think his fight last night was about as good as he's capable of against Joshua. Vlad probably can't get any better, but AJ can and almost certainly will. If he can get Parker into the ring, he might still get that one last belt, is it worth all the effort though, especially at his age? Maybe it's time for the great man to bow out gracefully. Like or loathe the way he's gone about his trade in that decade long list of title fights, he has to be respected for his efforts. To dominate the way he has, for so long, does him much credit. Maybe a walk into the sunset is the way to go.

beeforsalmon, Ron, TopClass and 2 others like this.
  19. Cyclonic

In New Zealand Joe Parker and his trainer Kevin Barry watched the fight. They seem to have differing emotions throughout the bout. Barry was pumped when Joshua dumped Klitschko and when he ended the fight. Parker on the other hand, came alive when Klitschko dropped Joseph, and didn't look too pleased when the fight came to an end. Barry I think sees the huge bucks in a Joshua bout, whereas Parker sees a pounding. You can see the tv in the background.

20. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I can't see the re-match happening. Klitschko getting older and AJ getting better. I think Klitschko may well retire now. I think that was his swan song. He gave it all he got and it would be no disgrace to bow out after that. I have more respect for Klitschko after that performance than I have ever had. Apart from Lewis he has fought mainly nobodies. But as Toppy says above, there is a big gap between the top and the bottom with very few in between. I suppose it stands to reason really; there can't be 20 or 30 boxers capable of giving the best one a good fight. In reality there will only be a handful at most. So it's no surprise that Klitschko had fought mainly no-hopers; it's the same for any champion in any era, particularly in the heavyweight division. AJ has also fought mainly no hopers (44 rounds over 18 fights) and who is there to face him now? Fury would probably be his biggest test (he's big, strong, fast, punches hard and has a tremendous reach advantage) - but will we ever see him again? Wilder is the obvious choice but he doesn't have the skills of Klitscko and would probably not last long unless he got lucky; he doesn't let his opponents off the rope once he has them going. Anyone else will find that AJ is a different class to anyone they have beaten so far. I think Charles Martin was ranked right up there until he met AJ.

So, just to re-iterate Toppy's comment, there is a massive gap between the top and the bottom with very few in between. This brings me to Shergs comment about Klitschko not having been given the respect he deserves. It's not Klitschko's fault that he didn't have a stream of top fighters to beat and that 54 of them (almost 55) couldn't go the distance. Going back to his original style that last got him beaten almost regained his title but ultimately, was once again his undoing. He can be proud of what he has achieved inside and outside the ring.