1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Boxing

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Cyclonic, May 17, 2015.

1. woolcombe-folly007

woolcombe-folly007 Well-Known Member

Anyone got a link For the boxing ??

2. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Listened to the fight on radio 5 live. Sounded brilliant. Mike Costello a great commentator, boxing or athletics. Both fighters emerge with plenty of credit. Shame about all the nonsense beforehand but I suppose it sold a load more PPV.

3. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

What a waste of money, paying for that shambles. Haye looked far too cumbersome from the start. Then he gets injured and can hardly stand up and Bellew couldn't take advantage.. Anyone should have been able to put Haye away in that condition. It was embarrassing to watch and humiliating for Haye. One good thing is that Bellew came out of it with credit and didn't act like a bell-end. He has no chance against Wilder. Haye should retire after that. He would have no chance against Wilder or Joshua

4. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

Yeah I have to agree Ron, it's time for Haye to hang up the gloves, he was a mere shadow of the fighter he used to be. And to be frank, I'm not sure that his Shane McGuigan is all that he's cracked up to be. Leading up to this fight, Haye has only had 3:42 seconds of actual ring time since July 2012, and it showed against Bellew. Haye's timing was awful. After watching the bout, I'm left wondering why he was left so unprepared. I've had serious doubts about McGuigan since the second Santa Cruz - Frampton fight where the latter tried to box Cruz instead of dragging him into a dog fight like he did in their first encounter.

Still, all credit to Tony Bellew. Few gave him a serious chance, but his heart stood him in great stead. <applause>

Ron likes this.
  5. Cyclonic

Now for the real fight, Thurman v Garcia.

6. Cyclonic

Wow are these serious fighters or what. Amazing.

7. Cyclonic

I thought Thurman had a a pretty convincing win, but one of the judges thought otherwise. While two judges gave it to Thurman 116-112 & 115-113, the other judge had it 113-115 Garcia. The fight started out with serious bombs being thrown, but then sort of drifted away. Still, Keith Thurman further cements his claim to being the best Welterweight in the game. The Pacman and Brook will obviously have other ideas.

8. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Haye Bellew looked like the best staged payday of modern times. What an embarrassment.

The rumours swirled all week about a Haye Achilles injury and it clearly gave way R6 I think it was? It also explains why Haye was so cumbersome from the beginning and was missing wildly. He looked absolutely awful and so did his condition. The ripped guy on stage at the weigh looked slightly bloated. I'm told he's a vegan now so much of his physique was water retention. Get some steak Dave!

For Bellew to then take it to R11 to finish it was an embrassment. He himself looked gassed carrying the extra weight.

The post match interviews all but confirmed that this was simply a £££ for both. It was the biggest one they could both have and Bellew had nothing to lose as he underdog, and Haye I guess gets the injury excuse (which he still hasn't mentioned) to buy him one more PPV perhaps if his body holds out.

They seemed like business partners at the end and not a bit of hatred.

Ron, Cyclonic and bayernkenny like this.
  9. Chaninbar

Not sure what folk expected with 2 ageing fighters. Both showed plenty of heart which has to be applauded. If Haye had knocked him out in round 1 (as predicted by many) would that be better value? Haye had had barely fought in 5 years and Bellew is not a heavyweight (even though he's about a stone heavier than Ali in his prime). It sounded a cracking contest from the radio commentary I listened to. As for Haye's injury Steve Bunce did point out that Haye was wearing boots which didn't offer much support for such a big lad. As for the post fight love in would it be better if they continued to trade insults? The pre fight nonsense was all hype and I can't stand it but the reality is that it probably contributed an extra million revenue in PPV income for both fighters.

10. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

As far as I am concerned, Haye has made himself look stupid. Must be pretty thick skinned to face anyone after that. And by "that" I refer to the first 5 rounds (before he became a cripple). He was very brave to continue but to see him humiliated like that is not good for boxing. I really hope he doesn't bother again

11. Chaninbar

By all accounts he's skint Ron. Hopefully he's got enough now but I reckon he'll want another go. Whether he should or not is a different matter.

12. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That figures Chan. He was very humble after the fight and seemed pretty desperate for a return, almost begging

13. Cyclonic

Have a look at Eddie's face after Bellew rejects him. And what did Bellew say to him? :)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  14. Cyclonic

Boxing has a rich history in Thailand, but it lives on the bones of it's arse. World champions can and do fight in tents in front of less than a thousand people, so it can be tough to make a killing. As living is cheap in the Land of Smiles, I suppose in some respects, a champ can still set himself up for life. Quite often though, they have to resort to changing their name to that of their sponsor's product, just to eke out that little bit extra. One such person is Thammanoon Niyomtrong, the reigning WBA Minimumweight Champion. He's better known today as Knockout CP Freshmart. The 26 year old has had just 15 starts and has yet to taste defeat. He started out in fight one with a shot at the WBC World Youth Minimumweight Title which he won by KO. He defended that belt 7 times before stepping away from it to pursue the WBA Interim Minimumweight Title, which he won. He made 4 defences of that strap before the WBA ordered the full Champion Byron Rojas to face him. After taking that win he fought Shin Ono, then Japan's Go Odaira last week. Odaira wasn't given much hope. Freshmart has the green stripe, Odaira the blue.

15. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

Bearing in mind he was once voted Great Britain's finest boxer it has taken his home city a fair bit of time to finally recognize one of their greatest sons; had it anything to do with him being a 'Leither'? However on Friday 3 March 2017 Ken Buchanan received the city's top award, the Edinburgh Award 2016.

About f****n' time says I about a real gentleman with time for everyone.

16. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

What a scrap that was. Tough little bugger isn't he (who does he remind you of?). The other one was a tough little bugger too

Cyclonic likes this.
  17. Cyclonic

I wonder if WBO Middleweight Champion Billy Joe Saunders would be interested in a fight with former IBF title holder David Lemieux? The fight highlight below comes from a bout last weekend.

18. Cyclonic

Love the heart and legs of the lady in blue. They're blocking it. Just type in the title on Youtube.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  19. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

What a woman Cyc - I'm in love

Cyclonic likes this.
  20. Cyclonic

Two guys land booming right hands at the same time. The nose of the loser is a shocker. <yikes>