1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Boxing

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Cyclonic, May 17, 2015.

1. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

Well it looks as though another Fury is about to get a crack at a world heavyweight title. Young Hughie is in line to take on WBO champion Joseph Parker. A purse bid has been ordered by the WBO, it'll take place on Feb 1 in San Juan, Puerto Rico. The minimum bid will be set at US$1,000,000 with the split going 60-40 to the New Zealander Parker. Hughie Fury is the mandatory to Parker's crown. This will be the classic fighter v boxer match up.

2. gazboy

gazboy Well-Known Member

Lucky to catch last three rounds of Frampton/Santa Cruz. Great bit of fighting.

3. Cyclonic

Santa Cruz was much more busy. It was a different fight from the first in that it wasn't a massive punch up. Santa Cruz kept Frampton at an arm's length for most of the fight. It was pretty frustrating stuff for the Irishman.

4. gazboy

gazboy Well-Known Member

Hadnt seen previous fight. Just looked a REAL fight.

Cyclonic likes this.
  5. beeforsalmon

beeforsalmon Well-Known Member

Firstly how refreshing just to see a quality fight between two superb boxers that proper boxing fans can appreciate without the need for any PR stunts or nastiness in the build up. A credit to all involved and, as usual, Team McGuigan and Frampton showed their class in taking defeat on the chin. You don't hear honesty like you did from Barry from a promoter too often to admit defeat (in a very tight affair like that) proper top man. Never really felt Frampton was in pole position as Santa Cruz just boxed ten times smarter than he did previously and was on the back foot and cleverly using his reach advantage and frustrating Carl.

Bring it back to Belfast (the trilogy was always on the cards imo) and you can bet Carl will win the decider but hats off to all, great to see sportsmanship like it. Two true legends out there.

6. Cyclonic

Sometimes boxing matches can be little more than bullshit on steroids. It can have gallons and gallons of paint thrown over it, but in reality, it's still nothing but a giant ugly beast that's being foisted on the general public. And the strange thing is, we can clearly see the crap heading pall mall in our direction, but the hype that accompanies it is so enticing, that we helplessly stand there and let it wash all over us. There we stand, **** splattered. We know we've been weak and pitiful, and we're somewhat embarrassed by our failure to avoid the incoming shots of fecal matter, but what the ****? I'm a human being and as such, I'm filled with all manner of shortcomings.

So what's this all about? It's about Anthony Mundine's fight with Danny Green in Adelaide tonight. To those who happen to live anywhere but Australia, and know nothing of these two, I can under the following question being asked. "Who the **** are they?" Well they're a couple of old fighters well past their prime, who've been at each other in the press for what seems like forever. They fought once, at middleweight back in 06 when Mundine's speed proved to much for Green. He won on points. Both are now in their early 40s, and are ex world champions who want to take each other's head off. And the hype has been huge. Mundine has a horrible mouth that's been his undoing in the eyes of the general public. He's been one of the most obnoxious, sporting personalities this country has seen in many a decade. Ask anyone in the street what outcome to the fight they want, and most will want Mundine carried from the ring on a stretcher. Personally, I don't like the man either, but have a respect for what he's achieved in the ring. He's a former WBA & IBO Middleweight World Champion. Tonight in what promises to be his final curtain call, he has the fight of his life on his hands. So much so, that calls have been made to have the fight shut down. But Anthony Mundine is more than just a former champion, he's also a master when it comes to self promotion. And his touch has guaranteed that this fight will put millions in their pockets. Seriously, they'll make a minimum of $3,000,000 each for a fight that's worth probably no more than a few thousand a piece. It's PPV and it's highway robbery. They're charging the same for their clash as Mayweather and Pacquiao did for their bout. And it's selling like bloody hot cakes. Any do you know what these brave souls are charging for a premium seat? Better that $2,000. I'm stunned by the audacity of it all.

About the men though. Danny Green has always been the bigger man. When they met on 06, Green had to waste like crazy to make the middleweight limit, something he's since complained long and loud about. He's been like a friggin' dog with a bone, he won't let it alone. He's wanted to get Mundine in the ring ever since. Now it's happening. The problem is though, Anthony Mundine is now going to enter the ring at an extreme weight disadvantage. In his last fight, he fought at 153 pounds but tonight's fight is set at 183 pounds. Both made the weight, but Green is expected to enter the ring, re-hydrated to about 195 pounds. At the weighin, Green looked a monster alongside Mundine. And Danny Green was no mug. He held the WBA & IBO World Cruiserweight titles, and the man can bang. Betting has "The Green Machine" a heavy odds on favourite and "The Man" at around 5-2. It's going to be a little bloke throwing fast and free from the outside, against a stalking, menace with power in both hands. Few see Mundine surviving the distance. He's full of confidence though and says he's schooled Green in the past and he'll do it again tonight.

The odd thing about this bout though, is that Danny Green is now being seen as a bit of a bully. Big man picking on a littler one, one he's been hounding for better than a decade. And there's some truth in it. But Mundine is a master money maker, so if he gets it in the neck this evening, he at least can go home with an extra truck load of cash to add to the reputed $10,000,000 he already owns. As stated above, I don't like Anthony Mundine, but for his uphill battle tonight, I think he'll have me in his corner. Go the massive underdog. I hope I can find a free stream. :)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    Ron likes this.
  7. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

David Price reckoned he could have troubled Joshua <laugh>

8. Cyclonic

I just watched the fight and didn't mind it at all. As for Dave, he was gassed after about three rounds. It makes you wonder what kind of training he does. Maybe he just doesn't have a fighters brain. He was often told that if he wanted to hold, he had to lock up Hammer's arms, something he couldn't manage to do. In that seventh round he threw his hands up in front of his face and took a real pounding without even looking to clinch. It was like all he wanted to do was hide behind his gloves. Still, he did manage to finish standing up. I don't think it was a case of being almost unconscious on his feet, but more a matter of being thoroughly ****ed. All credit to Christian Hammer though, he was clearly the better man.

9. Cyclonic

Has Frank Warren tripped over his own feet and fallen flat on his face? After securing great deals with BT Sport and BoxNation last year, he hoped to snatch back control of boxing from Eddie Hearn, but his latest trip to the coal face has called his efforts into question. After his failed efforts to secure a deal for Hughie Fury's crack at Joseph Parker's WBO belt, a purse bid was ordered. The now cashed up Warren offered $2.8 million (NZ I suppose) obviously thinking that Duco wouldn't be able to match the sum. Wrong. The home team went to better than $3 million. Duco has the option of taking the fight to the UK, but it'll probably be fought in New Zealand on April 1. After having the bout slip through his fingers, there's a chance that Mr. Warren's office is now a massive trash heap. I wonder if he's answering his phone??? "Hello ... hello, it's me Eddie calling. Are ya' there mate?" <laugh>

10. Cyclonic

I few posts above is a piece on a fight that took place in Adelaide last Friday, between two old farts. As an exhibition, it was pretty ordinary. But it was interesting. A point deducted from both fighters, a ref who lost control and ****ed up scoring cards made for a fun hour or so. But the **** hit the fan big time when a couple of blokes started live streaming the pay per view program on YouTube. As with most of the ppv events, the powers that be hire folk to close down illegal streams. As people hunted high and low for access, any opening was instantly jumped on. The first bloke who streamed the card (for his mates) found 90,000 had logged onto his feed within minutes. The clip below gives an insight into the call he received from the heavies. He let the early fight finish before shutting down the feed. As he did so though, someone else has a new link up within minutes. All of a sudden, he was swamped too. The heavies want these two charged. The people want them knighted. Even a mamber of parliament stood and gave them the thumbs up for their efforts. Strange old world.

As a side light to all this stuff, the clip below shows a severe mismatch of opponents. Rugby Union International Quade Cooper was having his third bout, his opponent Jack McInnes, his second. When pictures of these two at the weigh-in hit the media, it created a **** storm. Our Jack looked like he belonged on a bar stool. He copped a real flogging in the social media. As did Cooper and all connected with him for taking on Jack. But by the time they entered the ring, Jack had become a national celebrity. If the crowd's support was an indicator, you'd be forgiven for thinking that Ali or Smokin' Joe had climbed through the ropes. Of course Cooper flogged Jack, but tried to catch him as as he fell to the canvas. I think Cooper was as much a victim as anyone. I'll post the weigh-in pic then the fight.

please log in to view this image

beeforsalmon likes this.

11. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

Great fight.

If I was Carl id try to get another big fight in Belfast and a few other good wins under his belt before facing Santa Cruz again.

The rematch wont go away and its one I see Santa Cruz winning again. I think hes got Carls number. Physically I think hes got too much. Keep him out of range with the jab and counter.

If its on then I hope im wrong and Carl brings the title back.

However its great to see Carl fighting at elite level and giving value for money.

Pity he didnt win it would have been great to have had Frampton v Selby this summer.

12. Cyclonic

Something went wrong in that second fight. From what I've read there was somewhat of a mistake made within the camp when it came to how the bout should be fought.

Carl: "I could have made the last fight easier for myself, I got drawn into a war, but that was important. I am going to be cleverer but if I need to go into the trenches, I will fight him. There is pressure, but I can deal with it. I’m going to put in a better performance this time."

A quote from the Sunday Express: Trainer and tactician Shane McGuigan would rather see his man avoid standing toe-to-toe with the dangerous Santa Cruz and use his boxing skills to stay out of trouble, but backed his man to get his first stoppage since he knocked out Chris Avalos in February 2015.

It seems to me that avoiding standing toe to toe with Santa Cruz lessened his chances of winning. It was standing in the trenches for the full 12 rounds in that epic first fight that won it for him. Frampton certainly can box at an elite level, but Santa Cruz among the best at it. When it comes to fighting, Santa Cruz is an elite athlete, but Frampton is among the best.

The bottom line is that Santa Cruz fought Frampton's fight in the first bout and paid the price for it. In the second, it was the other way around. Carl fell into the trap of fighting to Leo's strengths.

I hope you're reading this Carl. <laugh>

13. Cyclonic

Can this be for real? It's all over the net that Floyd Mayweather and Connor McGregor have come to an understanding on a possible fight. If so, they'll each make a **** load. If it's strictly a boxing match, poor old Notorious is going to cop the mother of all floggings.

At the moment Money is a 1-10 shot and Notorious at 9-1. Get on quick, Floyd will be 1-50 on fight night.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  14. Cyclonic

Fred Brophy's Butterbean runs into a live one. <laugh>

TopClass and bayernkenny like this.
  15. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

Sign the 'hipster' up for the World Cup in Russia!

16. Cyclonic

Tonight in the good ol' US of A, one of the all time greats, Roy Jones Jr, a man who in his prime smashed his way through a mess of world titles ranging from Middleweight to Heavyweight, climbs into the rings at the ripe old age of 48. He's fallen a long way. His last bout was against a man called Rodney Moore,a bloke who at his best could only be described as a journeyman. A journeyman who hadn't traveled too far of late. He'd lost his last 12 fights. Roy beat him on points.

Roy's opponent this evening will be none other than Bobby Gunn. Please gentlemen please, no guffaws needed. Bobby is an ex world cruiserweight champion. His belt didn't have the prestige of those won by Roy the Boy, but I've never won an IBA strap, so who am I to take the piss? Ohhh ok, just this once, I think the IBA stands for Independent Baker's Association. Bobby hasn't been seen under rules in better than three years, so what makes the promoters think punters will cough up their hard earned to watch this 43 year old take on old Roy on pay per view? Simples...Bobby Gunn is the World Bareknuckle Champion. I don't know if there's an actual sanctioning body controlling bareknuckle boxing, but if there is, it must be pretty ****ty. How can they garner fees from title bouts held in underground car parks? Still, as far as I can tell, Bobby Gunn has strung together 70 odd bouts without defeat, so who knows? I have to say though, I've watched a few of his bareknuckle bouts and he looks awful. Some of the guys he faced were shockers.

Roy Jones Jr is a 1-10 favourite. Bobby Gunn is 7-1.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  17. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Come on then <laugh>

18. TopClass

Saddens me beyond words that Roy Jones has resorted to this.

19. Cyclonic

Jesus Toppy, I have to say Roy did well. Even at 48 his hand speed is amazing. His footwork is first class. Bobby Gunn was always expected to take a flogging, and that he did. In attack, Jones looks as good as anyone, but he hardly had a glove landed on him tonight, so can he take one on the chin at his age? Probably not, but on tonight's performance, I'd like to see him fight one of the other REAL champs. The left hand that smashed Gunn's nose was vicious.

20. TopClass

He always looks good against punchbags Cyc. It's when he's in there against someone who knows how to throw a punch back that becomes a problem.

Didn't Enzo Maccaranelli knock him out recently?