1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Boring Boring Tottenham

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Nov 26, 2016.

1. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

Yes - I know all that.
    But Defoe is never going to be a core player in a team capable of winning the league. It is much more important to give playing time to someone like Janssen who just might be, in my opinion.

2. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

There's a place for both in our squad. Not necessarily Defoe himself, but a player like that.
    We need options, we need pace and we need goals.

3. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

Janssen is also never going to be a core member of the squad this season. Out of 2 cups and Kane back fully fit - how much more playing time do you think Vince will get throughout the season beyond 10 minute cameos and starts against lower league opponents in the FAC? No more than 14-15 players are "core" members of any squad, the rest have to do their prove their worth on the training ground and/or on the rare occasions thay they get a start in a full game. So Winks' showing against West Ham was noted and applauded by the manager. Having a player like Defoe wouldn'r limit Janssen's potential playing time so much that his development will be stunted. We're talking the odd 10-20 minutes here or there.

And if it did limit said potential, that would boil down to the fact that Defoe was finding the onion bag and Janssen wasn't, simple as that. As Dona pointed out - are we willing to sacrifice present goals for the sake of future potential? Should we be starting Janssen instead of Kane to release that potential? Where does one draw the line and say enough is enough, we need results now not in 2 years' time?

Out of Harrison and Defoe, who would you give the 3rd striker jersey to, theoretically?
    It's a no brainer surely?

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  4. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Janssen might get time in the Europa League, if we qualify for it.

Harrison or Defoe? Both? Keep the latter, loan the former.

5. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

I think Janssen is already a more complete player than Defoe, and as I said above you can't judge them entirely on goals scored.

As for a third striker - if we need one at all then it still shouldn't be Defoe - he would cost to much for what he brings.

6. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

You were 3rd last season (should have been 2nd) and are 5th this time, but still within striking distance of the top, with only one defeat.

Whatever malaise there is on here among you Spurs fans can only be because you should believe (rightly) that you should be challenging for the title rather than being just off the pace.

There is only one issue in my mind that's relevant to this - a lack of goals if Kane isn't scoring regularly. Almost all title winning teams over the past 25 years have been freescoring. And they have been solid at the back too. You have the latter covered, but the former is problematic. There is no plan B if Kane is either absent or not in top form. Janssen may or may not have certain qualities as a forward. However, it's indisputable that if he's called upon to step in and score goals, he's not delivering. Neither is anybody else. It's hard to find players who can be on the sidelines and suddenly step into the team and score when needed like Solskjaer or Hernandez did so crucially. Defoe might be the type of player who could do that as he's an instinctive goalscorer. I'd want him if I was your manager.

7. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

You're winding me up, surely? <yikes>

Lovearsenalcock and NSIS like this.
  8. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

It's what Defoe does, score goals! As he has done consistently over many seasons in the PL.

Goals win games, or get you a point that you badly need.

At this moment, if I had both Defoe and Janssen sitting on the bench, and I needed a goal, I know who I'd send on!....

9. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Something else that Defoe has done consistently over many seasons in the PL is consistently find new ways to be offside - which does not equate to goals if the ball is not getting to him often enough, as evidenced in the Santini Era on a weekly basis.

10. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

He plays the offside line, always has done!..it's part of what predators do...

If the ball isn't getting to him, that's another problem, not his...give him the ball in the right areas and he'll score you a darn sight more than Janssen will!..

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016