1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Bolton Wanderers @ Deepdale 31/10/2015

Discussion in 'Preston' started by themaclad, Oct 28, 2015.

1. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

A Halloween treat for TV viewers on Saturday night a chance to view the talents of North End and Horwich Wanderers brought to you by the cathode ray tube. A delightfully timed 6 pm kick off which has it plusses and negatives. On the plus side I avoid all the dressed up beggars lobbing round the village trick or treating although since Jimmy Saville the treats seem to have gone down. I will however still wire the door bell to the mains just in case some little sod wants to turn up at an empty house.
    On the minus side, the kick off time completely screws up eating times a favourite occupation of mine.
    Wanderers arrive bottom of the table and as goal shy as we are although they are trying to remedy this having just brought in free agent Shola Amiobe last week, he scored against Leeds. They have also brought in an Australian on free from Manchester City Luke Brattan, apparently he is the Australian Pogba. They have won once this season beating Wolves.
    We have not played them since the Championship play off in 2001 when they won 3-0 at Cardiff and duly got promoted to the promised land, they won all three games that season without conceding. We have not beaten them since 1666 when Samuel Pepys headed in a late winner off the back twig. Our record since I started watching North End in 1969 is truly abysmal against them.
    North End will have an interesting selection headache with Garner, Hugill, Doyle vying for the starting two position, Huntington back in the frame at the back. For once we have a chance against them.
    Last heard that they had sold about 2500 tickets for this just liked to say best of luck to the police on Saturday destined for trouble this one plenty of time for alcoholic pop with a 6pm kick off

Finally ther is a delicious irony with Wanderers bottom with apparent debts of 170 million given that a few years ago Wanderers chairman Phil Gartside wanted to bring in a new league structure with the Old firm teams included. There was going to be no relegation from the second tier basically screwing those clubs in the lower two leagues. The plan was rightly booted into the long grass but did Gartside forsee the future with Wanderers crippled with debt and struggling along at the bottom of the second tier, no need to worry under my plan we'll never go down. In reality Phil there's every chance you will

2. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

All that bloody stuff in Morrisons for Halloween where the gardening stuff used to be. I was hoping Ms would promote some cheap roses for a rough patch around the side of the house. Will traipse to Aldi in Wisbech. I saw The Trotters beat NE at D'dale 0-3 in the 3rd round of the FA Cup. Must have been about '56 or '57. In was a gloomy day.
    D'dale used to get big gates for this ground. The players were on £20 a week. Who got the rest? They sold tea in proper cups. My mate and me collected the cups and got 2d for each cup! Sometimes, we collected 'em after the punters had drunk the tea!
    Bolton will come determined to show who is cock of the North West. Expect blood.

3. themaclad

The fate of this game was probably decided when Sky decided to show it, with both teams averaging less than a goal a game it was probably destined to be nill all and so it proved.
    In truth both teams cancelled each other out and to be far to the Wanderers the two lads especially Wheater had cracking games however North End's crossing was distinctly second rate all night. Wanderers probably had the better of the early stages,nearly capitalising on a very early mistake by the home side. Just looked a vey tactical match between two managers who had played with other at Leicester and which neither wanted to lose at all cost.
    Wanderers had a clear chance mid way through the half however the ball hit Ameobi's shoulder and went narrowly over the bar, they also had a couple of free kicks on the edge of the box as usual, we must be the only team in the league who have consistently given needless free kicks in dangerous positions away in every match. Luckily Wanderers dead ball plays were woeful.
    Johnson had two chances in quick succession but both were blocked the Wheater, there was a possibility Woods could have seen red for yet another foul on the edge of the box however the referee who had a decent game judged the Wanderers player was going away from goal and only yellow was given.
    The second half for long periods can only be described as distinctly dire, the ball was like a hot potato although when they had Wanderers used it best, they even fashioned a shot at goal which was well saved by Pickford. Garner had a couple of tame efforts at the other end. Finally on 14 minutes North End's big chance came, substitute Hugill did well turning his man and there was a two on one break, with Johnson in space, Hugill basically passed the ball into the arms of a very underworked Amos. North End pressed towards the end but you get the feeling that this was always going to be a draw months ago.

Preston North End 0 Bolton Wanderers 0 Att 14494

4. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

Decent crowd. Would have been better with more sympathetic ticket pricing.

5. themaclad

Think the fact it was a local Derby against a club with some idiot support and the time of the kick off would have kept people away.