1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Blyth Spartans

Discussion in 'Non-League' started by Mod Face, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Mod Face

Mod Face Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

To be honest, can't see us needing any more than the one thread on here so.... here it is!

So for all discussion about the mighty Spartans, stick around.

Our league campaign's going pretty well, 8 points off a play-off place but 23 points clear of the relegation zone. I think it's safe to say we'll still be a Blue Square club next season. ;)

Attendances are down a bit from last year, money's tight and there's no FA Cup run this season but we've got a very winnable tie against Droylsden in the last 16 of the FA Trophy to look forward to and we're in fine goalscoring form at the moment, 21 goals from the last 10 competitive games.

Where do you see us finishing this season? Do you see us realistically sneaking into the playoffs or reckon we'll have our usual dip in form towards the end of the season once survival is secured?

2. TheSuperStag

TheSuperStag New Member

Good to see the non league bit starting to grow.
    Best of luck for the rest of the season and hope to see Blyth at Wembley for the FA trophy final.

3. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

Good luck in the FA Trophy. I always keep an eye out for your results.

I have fond memories of Blyth Spartans as a kid.

The first is of sitting in the stand as a 7 year old in the 70s and learning a whole load of new words that were being shouted at my late dad as he was running the line. I don't remember the player's name, but your striker had just come back from a lengthy suspension. At some point in the game my dad flagged him offside and he told my dad to F@*k off. That was back in the days when you couldn't get away with that. Up my dad's flag went to call over the referee, and he was sent off. By this time I was virtually hiding under my seat incase anyone knew he was my dad lol.

The second was of being at the game that to this day is still the best atmosphere I have ever experienced at a football match. Blyth v Wrexham at St James' Park in an FA Cup 5th Round replay. I spent the game being held up by my dad in the old Leazes end - back when it was still a Kop. Even though you lost the replay the noise was incredible. 49000 sell out. Amazing game.

Would love to see you climb the leagues. Here's hoping.....

4. Mod Face

I'd love to hear more about the Wrexham game as I was far from being born at that point in time. I was there for our recent cup run and had a great laugh standing behind Fat Sam when he was being interviewed post-match and chanting abuse at him. One lad even got onto the pitch and pretending to be a journalist, asked him a couple of questions, we were pissing ourselves! Best atmosphere for a match I've ever been to, most people there were casuals but it didn't really matter, having about a thousand people singing in unison, "we are Northumbria!" sent shivers down my spine. Seeing the official attendance figures I though how amazing it was for Croft Park to see that many faces, usual attendances are closer to the 500 mark. When we found out that if we beat Blackburn we could be facing Sunderland the place was buzzing, shame our effort wasn't rewarded, curse that free-kick. grr

As for climbing the leagues, turnover's down a bit and we struggle to hold onto our better players (fairly normal at this level) but if we can have a few seasons of upper-mid table finishes we may become a more attractive destination for players, typically youth players from Toon/Sunderland etc. Then we could possibly push for promotion, I think each season in this league has started with higher ambitions than survival.

Seeing Gateshead leapfrog up was a bit hard to swallow but rivalry aside, it's good to see any North East club doing well. <ok>

5. Frank_Pingel_Legend

Frank_Pingel_Legend Active Member

Mod Face: honestly, the Wrexham game was incredible. Me and my mate turned up at SJP about 15 minutes before the game and you couldn't get moved for the crowds. It actually set the receipts record at SJP for a time. My mate tried to climb the wall at the Gallowgate but got pulled down by the police. When we eventually got in, 20 mins or so had already gone and Wrexham were already one up. As for the game it could have gone either way. You really couldn't tell which one was the league team.

I remember Dave Clarke, the Spartans goalie, turning round to the Gallowgate and enjoying some banter with the crowd.

The crowd exploded when Spartans scored. Unfortunately, it was too late. What a brilliant day, but a pity Wrexham were allowed that non-corner in their home game. Otherwise, it would have been Arsenal at home in the quarters with Supermac et al.

Those were the days.

6. Mod Face

What was the makeup of the crowd? I know there's a mix of Newcastle and Sunderland supporters follow the Spartans, was there a truce called that day?

7. Frank_Pingel_Legend

I suspect most were Newcastle fans, but it's impossible to say. There certainly wasn't any friction. Everyone was behind Spartans.

I've never known an atmosphere like it at SJP though. Newcastle weren't playing but the place was bouncing. There hadn't been a non-league team before or since to experience support like it. I remember a banner unfurled by Wrexham fans in the east stand: "Sorry Blyth. You was robbed."

How true that was. I don't know if you remember Mickey Thomas (later to play for Man U). He scored their second goal.

8. Mod Face

I just wiki'd him.

:emoticon-0104-surpr

Looking at his career stats though seemed like a decent caliber of player...

It's interesting to imagine just how different things could have been if we made it to play against Arsenal, especially after seeing just how much our recent cup run has done for our ground improvements.

9. Frank_Pingel_Legend

Thomas was a decent player, but even then appeared a little bit dodgy.

Blyth were robbed. No question about it. Given their momentum at the time, they would have given Arsenal a decent game.

A non-league team in the quarters. That would have been a sensation.

10. Mod Face

5 wins in a row now. <ok>

11. Frank_Pingel_Legend

Yes, it's nice to see the region's minnows doing well. Still you have a bit to go before you catch up with the mighty Heeeeed Arrrrrmy!

12. Mod Face

Aye that's true. I'd love for us to get promoted this season and have games against Gateshead and Darlo but I don't think we're quite there yet. I'm eager to see what kind of atmosphere there is at Darlington's Stadium.

13. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

I imagine you've seen this, but thought I'd post it anyway. Looks lke my memory is getting fuzzy. It was 42,000 not 49,000. Still a cracking atmosphere though.

[video=youtube;lmyhDifUD-c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmyhDifUD-c&feature=related[/video]

14. Mod Face

Just a heads up for anyone in the area, Tuesday coming up is 'Supporter's Day' and admission has been cut for Blyth's league game against Workington, £5 a head.

It'll be interesting to see how much of an effect this has on attendances, maybe not 42,000 but 700+ would be great to see for a midweek game. <ok>

15. Bilversack

Bilversack Member

I won the Europa Cup with Blyth Spartans in FM10. I love Blyth Spartans!

16. The Secret Ingredient

The Secret Ingredient Well-Known Member

good luck tonight and Gateshead next round if you win <ok>

17. Mod Face

18. The Secret Ingredient

well done on the 4-0 mate Gateshead next <ok>
    We've got the league cup tonight (weather permitting)and the FA vase on sat

19. Mod Face

FANTASTIC RESULT!!!!!

Gateshead at home, definitely taking the day off work for this one! <ok>

20. The Secret Ingredient

canny result for us last night mod totally stuffed Ryton 7-1 must of took their foot of the gas as it was 6-1 after 58 mins <ok>