1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

[BLOG] Away day

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by Glovepup, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Glovepup

Glovepup Member

I'm guessing you are reading this because you are a football fan yourself, I'm a Charlton myself.

I want to start this article with a general look at football, which I think had taken a bad hit recently. i'm not going to go into specifics but I'm pretty sure you'll know to what I am referring too, unfortunately it's not just those who are at the centre of these issues who are frowned upon but all football fans and clubs.

So much has been done over the last few years, Charlton for example have been leading the way in the fight against racism and this year saw the club to link up with Greenwich Council for the 19th annual Red, White and Black day.

I don't think the problem here are the clubs themselves, as many try to educate their fans but they are unfortunately being dragged down by a small minority of their fan base. The problem is wider than that and is rooted I believe in society.

Why have I started this article this way? Good question.

It's something that has been bothering me for the last few weeks and even more recently with reports on various fans forums and social networks such as twitter of Charlton fans behaving badly at games. I'm not going into specifics of what has been said or done as I'm relying on information reported by others at the games. What I do know is that the club has taken these complaints seriously and have sent club officials to a previous away game, I discovered this like everyone else when I came across a small article in the clubs programme.

With the club at the top of league one and pushing towards automatic promotion these stories unfortunately sour the season for me, I'm proud to be a Charlton Athletic supporter, I'm proud of what we do on the pitch as well as what we do off it with the Charlton Community Trust. The first of it's kind in English football.

This is going somewhere, I promise. Stick with me.

I was a late comer to the club, as a young kid I was not the most sporty and for that reason was unsure what club to support. I would jump from one to another, mainly clubs that my brothers supported. As I got older I got more into sport and my family got tickets to see Charlton and I discovered a great family club, from that day I've never looked back and I've been a season ticket holder for over 10 years. Just to be clear, I'm still proud of my club.

But, here is the shocking bit of news. I have NEVER been to an away game! I go to every home game but never an away, that is all about to change.

Last year I revealed this to my Charlton Live colleagues who were a little shocked, you'd think I have just told them that I murdered someone. They seemed to take it badly and made a few comments whilst doing the show. One member of the team, Olly decided that he wanted to take me to my first away game. I hope he knows what he has left himself in for!

Back in October I chose Sheffield Wednesday away, which has turned out to be a great choice. They are currently 3rd in the league with a game in hand over their city rivals, they have just knocked West Ham out of the FA Cup. They are going to be buzzing, but then again so are we.

I've never experienced an away game, never been part of the small minority in the stands making the most noise they can make. Singing their hearts out, cheering the team to victory. But on Saturday, that is exactly what I will be doing!!

But…. (you saw this coming didn't you)

I fear that this may be ruined by some fans who think it may be ok to be do things that others see as not being acceptable, a part of me is praying that this is not the case. Maybe this is me being selfish, but I don't want my first away day being tarnished and I'm pretty certain it will not be but there is a sense of doubt in the back of my mind.

Because of twitter I've managed to meet some great fans of the club, many of those are also going to the game. I'm thinking with fans like these will out sing and therefore quieten the ones who may want to create some trouble or sing abuse chants.

I'm sorry if this posting has some slight negatives as at the end of the day we are all fans of the same club but it's a shame some of us feel let down by others and I wanted to say something about it asit has hit a nerve with me.

Anyway, let our voices be heard at Hillsborough as we cheer on the lads to another win and 3 points in the league and remain top.

I will certainly report back to you how I get on.

Up the Addicks

2. Captain Blackaddick

Captain Blackaddick Well-Known Member

My first away game was the 2-2 draw with Norwich 2 seasons ago (the one when they equalised in the last minute <grr>), and was pleasantly taken aback with how passionate and vocal our support was, after only ever having sat in the East or West Stand at The Valley. Last week at Fulham I felt a surge of pride in my club hearing the endless chants and unceasing support of the team (that last bit comes with success I guess). I'm sure you will feel the same.

Yes, there are idiots, and you may well hear the racist Lisbie song, the words to which I do not know and do not want to know. They are a tiny minority and in recent games people have begun to stand up to them. They will definitely not ruin your day.

3. Whats up Doc

Whats up Doc Well-Known Member

That Norwich equaliser sucked.

Maybe see you on saturday, I'll be there, 3rd time at Hillsborough following Charlton.

4. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

Paul,

Maybe the fact that there is a little more trouble at away games recently is because more and more people are standing up against the 'Lisbie Song' types and telling them that this is not acceptable in today's society. Long may this continue <ok>

5. Glovepup

Glovepup Member

Maybe mate, lets hope so eh. We don't need this in football or society, unfortunately I think that how Liverpool handled the Suarez/Evra situation has not done them or football any favours. IMO.

6. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

Two quotes from Martin Luther King

7. The Valley Redemption

Unfortunately you will certainly hear some abusive chants which go beyond banter and into the realms of the offensive. Until there is a major crackdown from the leagues on this sort of chant it will be a losing battle for any who try to stand up to it. What I would say is that the majority of fans are not there for that reason, but to enjoy the joy of an away match. Because there are fewer, more fervent supporters in a more intense group, the atmosphere can be fantastic... an away win (oh, how I pray you'll see one on Saturday) as a general rule makes for an even better day than a home win if you've seen the game, not least because you get to share your perspectives with all your mates who were unable to make it. A draw or a defeat is somehow less of a negative because the expectations are lower (though travelling back long distance from an evening defeat can be seriously depressing). Whatever, it's a great experience, so don't let a few morons ruin your day. And hope Wednesday don't either!

Did chuckle at the irony of the 'Fulham's a sh!£hole' chant on Saturday, though... you get the feeling these people could be at a game in front of the Pope and they'd chant 'the Vatican's a sh!£hole, I wanna go home'... wish they would.

8. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Over the years I've attended away games I've experienced very few problems, but most bad experiences have happened as we've fallen down the leagues. Is there an explanation there? I certainly can't explain it, but whilst there are instances of stupidness, generally away days are my favourite and most enjoyable form of football.

I expect our fans to be fired up on Saturday.. But I don't anticipate any trouble. I've experienced in house squabbles ever since I started going to away games- whether it's drink related, or when people are standing when they shouldn't etc. I just wonder if it's highlighted more these days with the recent growth in social media like twitter? Twitter certainly came in to it's own as we've sunk down the leagues.

Glove- my phone is playing up with private messages, so if I don't respond today, it's not me being rude <ok>.

9. Glovepup

Glovepup Member

Good points well made, I was wondering the same. News of good and bad is able to be posted quickly on social networks, especially on twitter.

No worries about the messages mate.