1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Blackpool v Man United

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Whiteside of Red, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Whiteside of Red

Let's be honest - that was a penalty and a second yellow. We got away with it.

Credit to Giggs for changing the game and to Berba and Hernandez for putting away the chances.

I think Hernandez and Rooney should start against Southampton - Rooney still needs game time to recover his touch and Hernandez deserves to start.

A well earned rest for Berba so that he's ready for the run in and Europe.

I hope Rafael is ok.

2. TuckersLaw

TuckersLaw Member

My first instinct was that it was a penalty. I thought otherwise after seeing the replay.

Rafael does not foul Varney, he puts his leg out to block a cross and meets the player shoulder to shoulder. Varney miscontrols and runs the ball out of play and tries to cut across Rafael. The fact that Rafael hardly moves and Varney goes down screaming is what made it look alot worse than it actually was.

Well done to the ref for getting it right and for being in a good position. From where the ref is standing, he gets a much clearer view of Varney and Rafael clashing together as a pose to Rafael knocking him off the ball.

The faux-outrage from the bitters just makes it more satisfying.

3. Whiteside of Red

I love the ABU outrage but every time I see it, I think it's a foul and nailed on pen.

4. Daveunited

Daveunited Well-Known Member

second yellow,was he booked then

5. merrysupersteve

merrysupersteve Active Member

I didn't think he'd been booked either (his late tackle in the first half didn't result in a booking) dave but even if he was on a yellow, I don't think the challenge warranted a yellow. I do think it warranted a penalty though. The fact that the attacker had lost control of the ball does not excuse going in and knocking him over and Rafael certainly initiated the contact and knew what he was doing. He needs to cut the petulance out and use his head.

6. Daveunited

yeah it was a penalty

7. TuckersLaw

TuckersLaw Member

Whiteside

I think had he been through on goal rather than running the ball out at the line, it might have been given, but watch a replay from the ref's angle and it looks much clearer cut in Rafael's favour.

ABU outrage makes decisions and results even more satisfying. Going 2-0 down gives the ABU's hope and that is the best bit for me. Give them a glimmer and then shat on them.

8. Jip Jaap Stam

Jip Jaap Stam General Chat Moderator
    Staff Member

It's one of those that can be given either way. Luckily for us it went in our favour. I don't think you could claim the ref was biased though could you (as the ABUs inevitably have)? He added 10 mins on at the end FFS! Imagine if we got 10 mins injury time if we were a goal behind? I think the whole winternet would crash!

9. TuckersLaw

TuckersLaw Member

merrysuperstevie

Nice to see you and Whiteside have both made the transistion here too.

Varney cuts into Rafael just as much as Rafael does with Varney but Rafael is travelling faster and has more force in the challenge. Rafael does not stick a foot into him, but rather across him to stop the ball from reaching the 6 yard box.

However, it was a risky challenge from Rafael and he still needs to stop getting into decisions where 50/50 calls arise.

10. TuckersLaw

TuckersLaw Member

Jip Jaap

I read a post from one ABU claiming that injury-time ended early on Fergie's say so. I mean, you just can't make it up can you!?

11. Daveunited

jip jaap stam.this was yesterday on 606

10 added minutes
    Premier League Manchester United
    by ole99 (U14756065) 25 January 2011

Imagine if United were losing and that much time had been added. Every ABU in the country would have exploded.

12. liverpool football club

13. merrysupersteve

merrysupersteve Active Member

Eloquently put liverpool football club. I look forward to your inevitable ban.

TuckersLaw, I joined this as it's one of the few forums I can access in work so I think I'll be sticking around after 606 is closed down. Good to see plenty of other 606ers making the move too.

14. Daveunited

what about messi4lfc and jay z are they on here yet,I know batmanu is

15. TuckersLaw

TuckersLaw Member

Whatever helps you sleep at night. Please come on here everyday and be outraged, mad and moan about referees, because we love it.

The charge for title 19 means we will hopefully see more posts from the upset Scousers.

16. Jip Jaap Stam

Staff Member

*winternet = internet obviously

To Tuckerslaw- that's the great thing about being despised by so many... it makes victory that little bit sweeter! Especially when we dangle a bit of hope in their faces only to yank it away <laugh>

17. TuckersLaw

TuckersLaw Member

Jip Jaap Stam

I wonder if they realise how satisfying they make it for us? It's like an added bonus. United win and all our 'rivals' fans get very upset and angry.

18. Jip Jaap Stam

Staff Member

TuckersLaw

You'd think they'd know better by now. They've had nearly 20 years of practice!

19. TuckersLaw

TuckersLaw Member

I know. The Chelsea years of 05 and 06 were a turning point for me. I tuned in each week, hoping to see them drop points, only to end up cursing their 'lucky' late goals or favourable decisions.

But at some point I realised that I only cared about Chelsea games so much because they were so good. I needed them to drop points because United were not up to the job of keeping ahead of them (at the time). I started to look at our team instead of theirs. I realised that their results would matter a whole lot less if we were not depending in them in the first place. The penny had dropped.

You'd think that after 20 years, the penny would have dropped with some of the rival fans too. I just feel sorry for them. Manchester United must really ruin their lives.

20. Whiteside of Red

I don't buy the shoulder to shoulder argument either. A fair shoulder to shoulder challenge is when two players are running parallel or close to it. Rafael came in at more than 90 degrees, missed the ball and clattered Varney. Penalty every time for me.

Not sure whether he'd already been carded by then, I thought he had.

Still a great comeback and the hopes of the ABU nation crushed again.