1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Blackburn vs Newcastle United

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Prince Isak (GG)

Prince Isak (GG) Well-Known Member

It does make you wonder what is going on. We seem to be very predictable with our line ups. They must just not be pulling their weight in training.

I think the fact that Rafa pulled colback off more or less straight after the goal was a sign of his patience being up with him. How many chances can one lad have and **** them up.

The mitro situation baffles me. He's clearly up for it unlike Perez. Yet Rafa sees nothing in him.

Goufran has gone so stale and yet plays weekly again. I would have been tempted to shift Ritchie to the left and play atsu.

I think dummett in the main has been ok. But I see your point with Lazaar.

I can't work out Diame either. Is he good or is he shola ameobi.

2. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

I think it's "defend first" and I fear Rafa is getting more and more scared of losing matches. We seem to be playing slower, "controlling" football more and more, with Anita in because of his defensive attitude. Two DM's and we're effectively playing 6 defenders in matches against Blackburn, it's nonsense.

System and personnel need a revamp, we need to get some momentum ahead of Brighton or we'll be crucified and that could make for a very nervous final few months. As above with the left footer, then maybe just get Hanley in as the middle of the three; both Lascelles and Clark can come forward. As we know there's a LOT of options in this squad, but we seem to have 4-2-3-1 and keep plodding on, in spite of the fact we have NO number 10, a CF who does not thrive being the target man, wingers who aren't really creating or scoring and two DM's who cannot move the ball forward. It's a real problem. For me, if you're playing these two DM cloggers, then you MUST play Yedlin/Lazaar on the wings and get them to bomb on. I mean, just watch Spurs to work out how it's done; Dier sits back and makes it 3 CB's when the full backs push on, with the inverted wingers moving infield far more to create space for Alli and Kane.

We're playing a FLAT back four PLUS two DM's. 6 at the back.

3. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

Lazaar is also a left winger. It's all just a bit mystifying. Hard defensive work seems to be the most important thing.....like it was with.....Alan......P.....Pa.....no, I can't say it.

And lord help us if he thinks Sammy Ameobi comes from the bench in League One to become a saviour.....

4. Prince Isak (GG)

Prince Isak (GG) Well-Known Member

Yup your correct. Actually when you look at it like this we are actually playing three dm players in Hayden colback and Anita. Albeit he is rb. And three centre backs in lascelles Clarke and dummett albeit he is playing lb. so we actually playing a 3 centre backs and 3 defensive midfielders.

5. Chippy / Glory

Chippy / Glory Senior Member

If you continue to believe your own hype and think you eill walk this league your over confidence will cost you promotion... You dont seem to roll your sleeves up, and thee a number of games coming up when you have to.
    Expect you to finish top two but brighton, us, Reading and Wednesday will make you work for it.

6. anyobrien

anyobrien Well-Known Member

Its funny how we were cheats at the start of the season with our massive squad and massive transfer kitty... Now we are mere mortals who don't roll our sleeves up...nevermind come another six game winning run and we will be deluded over hyped cheats again.

7. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

I think all this roll your sleeves up ****e is just lazy. Its a go to thing people say when they are looking for reasons.

If you look at our games its pretty obvious what the issues are. When teams sit really deep we lack pace, creativity, an ability to adapt from a management perspective, and of course we don't put our chances away.

You have to remember we have dominated possession and efforts on goal in most, if not all, of our defeats. We are not punishing teams and are being too stubborn in our approach. Solve that and the wins will flow because we have one of the two best squads in the division. If we bury our head this could get very tricky. Its not something to jump off the deep end about, its a simple problem to solve and one I expect a manager of Benitez's experience to deal with swiftly.

Seabass likes this.
  8. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

This.

Really does get my goat when people cry on about lack of effort etc as it very rarely has anything to do with that.

Agree with Milk Man Ernie that key issues are, firstly, our build up play is too slow and predictable and, secondly, not being ruthless enough in front of goal. Hopefully both will be addressed this month and we will get back on track.

I also have to smile when people criticise Rafa and his decision making. I would also be doing one or two things differently to Rafa and am also convinced that my decisions would be the correct ones and rectify the problems we have. On the other hand I have yet to win a major trophy as manager.

9. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

You won cheat of the year?

Obi Wan likes this.
  10. Obi Wan

Obi Wan keeper of the peace

He did. Even though we're only 4 days in. They knew nobody else could come close so just awarded it early.

11. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator