1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Bill Nicholson Arms

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by ShelfSideSpur, Jan 27, 2011.

1. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

2. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Great drive from Alonso until his Honda engine let him down (again)

3. The Serious Guy

The Serious Guy Active Member

Can't help but feel sorry for Fernando Alonso. He's probably the greatest motor racer currently active, but his career since he won his second F1 title he's been dogged by incompetency when it comes to the vehicle he's in. He probably had the worst Ferrari cars in a comparitive sense than anyone ever before him, followed up by two disasterous transfers to teams that seem to drop all levels of competitiveness the second he put his arse in the seat.

Today he was the fastest driver on the track, lap after lap, only for his car to give up on him in the last quarter of the race.

littleDinosaurLuke likes this.
  4. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

Can't feel sorry for him. I was in the paddock at Silverstone a few years back and tried to get his autograph for my niece. Spain were about to kick off in a football match (Either Euros or WC, cant remember) and he wanted to watch it. He ignored all of his fans and ran towards his mobile home. On the other hand, Coulthard was quite happy to hang around, have a chat with us and sign autographs. I guess it may not have been the same if Scotland had qualified, but that is very much a hypothetical situation.

5. humanbeingincroydon

Thank you, Rome.

Thank you to my mother and father, my brother, my relatives and my friends.

Thank you to my wife and to my three children.

I wanted to start from the end – from the goodbyes – because I don’t know if I’ll be able to read these lines.

It is impossible to sum up 28 years in a few sentences.

I’d like to do so with a song or poem, but I can’t write any.

Over the years, I’ve tried to express myself through my feet, which have made everything simpler for me ever since I was a child.

Speaking of childhood, can you guess what my favourite toy was? A football, of course! And it still is today.

At some point in life, you grow up – that’s what I’ve been told and that’s what time has decided.

Damned time.

Back on 17 June 2001, we all wanted time to pass a little more quickly.

We couldn’t wait to hear the referee blow the final whistle.

I still get goose bumps now when I think back to it.

Today, time has come to tap me on the shoulder and say:

‘We have to grow up. As of tomorrow, you’ll be an adult. Take off those shorts and boots because starting today, you are a man. You can no longer enjoy the smell of the grass, the sun on your face as you bear down on the opposition’s goal, the adrenaline consuming you, the joy of celebrating.’

Over the past few months, I’ve asked myself why I’m being awoken from this dream.

Imagine you’re a child having a good dream… and your mother wakes you up to go to school.

You want to keep dreaming… you try to slip back into the dream but you never can.

This time, it’s not a dream, but reality.

And I can no longer slip back in.

I want to dedicate this letter to all of you – to all the children that have supported me.

To the children of yesterday, who have grown up and become parents and to the children of today, who perhaps shout ‘Tottigol’.

I’d like to think that for you, my career has become a fairytale for you to pass on.

It’s really over now.

I’m taking off that jersey for the final time.

I’ll fold it away, even though I’m not ready to say ‘enough’ and perhaps I never will be.

Forgive me for not giving interviews and clarifying my thoughts, but it’s not easy to turn out the light.

I’m afraid. It’s not the same fear you feel when you’re standing in front of the goal, about to take a penalty.

This time, I can’t see what the future looks like through the holes of the net.

Allow me to be afraid.

This time, it’s me who needs you and the love that you’ve always shown me.

With your support, I will succeed in turning the page and throwing myself into a new adventure.

Now, it’s time for me to thank all of the team-mates, coaches, directors, presidents and everyone who has worked alongside me during this time.

To the fans and the Curva Sud, a guiding light for all Romans and Romanisti.

Being born Roman and Romanisti is a privilege.

Being the captain of this team is an honour.

You are – and will always be – my life. I will no longer entertain you with my feet, but my heart will always be there with you.

Now, I will go down the stairs and enter the dressing room that welcomed me as a child and that I now leave as a man.

I’m proud and happy to have given you 28 years of love.

I love you.

6. paultheplug

paultheplug Well-Known Member

Now that is a really classy way to say goodby to your fans. <applause><applause>
    John Terry take note

7. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

So sad to think that for all those 24 years, Totti is only going to be
    remembered for 4 trophies he won.

8. The RDBD

Arsenal supporters attend publicity event at the Library to unveil the
    2017-18 Europa League home kit :

please log in to view this image

Wow, 60,000 ( + 1) shirts sold immediately.

deedub93 likes this.
  9. Fixed for you!! :emoticon-0148-yes:

paultheplug likes this.
  10. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

Well done Huddersfield Town - welcome to the premier league

11. On that performance they won't be hanging around. No doubt they will strengthen over the summer, but they will need to spend every last penny available and hope for a miracle to survive.

The Changing Man likes this.
  12. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

13. humanbeingincroydon

Holy ****, the entire Alderweireld family have the same haircut!

14. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Freaky.

15. Seeing Huddersfield reconnect to the highest division reminded me of one the special players of my youth: Frank Worthington
    In the same breath as the likes of Stan Bowles, Rodney Marsh & Tony Currie, Worthington was a shining light at a dark time of English football. Largely overlooked by the national team, Frank was a unique talent and was a showman in the great tradition. How different could Englands football history be if only the powers that be had believed in the entertainers rather than the robots!!

Hope Frank is able to enjoy his old clubs success :emoticon-0148-yes:

RobSpur and O.Spurcat like this.
  16. RobSpur

RobSpur Well-Known Member

Just had a negative result for HIV after having had very matching symptoms of seroconversion. Biggest and best surprise of my life.

17. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Time for a few beers I think <cheers>. Must be a weight off your mind. <ok>

RobSpur and PleaseNotPoll like this.
  18. The RDBD

19. deedub93

Bottle of Moet mate, go for it. I get tested every 3 months as part of a medical required by my work and I absolutely hate waiting for the result. It's always the first result that I look at.

20. deedub93

It's rubbish that there is still a social stigma about having HIV. I work in Africa and I know loads of people who have HIV, some cant even afford treatment. It doesn't make them any lesser person, in fact it often makes them better people, they become far more philosophical about life.

If I were to be diagnosed positive at some time in the future, it would only worry me about who I might give it to. The average life expectancy nowadays after diagnosis providing it is caught early is 35 years providing drugs are available. Being nearly 59 the chances are that I would die of something else far before HIV would get me. Hopefully someone will come up with a cure in the very near future.

RobSpur likes this.
: #spursy