1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Bill Nicholson Arms

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by ShelfSideSpur, Jan 27, 2011.

1. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

From the BBC....

Paris St-Germain say a police investigation is under way after fans angrily confronted players at Bourget Airport following their Champions League elimination to Barcelona.

The French champions flew home from Catalonia after a 6-1 defeat which overturned their 4-0 first-leg win.

Fans insulted players and vandalised their cars in an "extremely hostile and aggressive climate", the club say.

PSG also claim one person was hit by a car during the incident.

A club statement read: "The players were confronted and threatened by several individuals at Bourget Airport, despite the club and authorities reinforcing security.

"These individuals verbally insulted the players before vandalising their cars. Several vehicles were damaged.

"One individual was struck by a car trying to escape the crowd that was physically threatening the players and their families. A police investigation is under way to establish exactly what happened.

"The club, and all those present, have informed the investigators of their readiness to help the investigation, to get to the bottom of this regrettable incident."

The French don't piss about when protesting. They just smash stuff up and set stuff on fire. It reminds me of a story concerning my cousin coming to my house on 1st January 2000 to celebrate the Millenium, She was married to a Frenchman who grew up on a farm and is a food snob. I offered him a home-made burger off the Barbecue, which he took. My mate offered him some home-made spicy relish to which he haughtily replied ...."In france we prefer not to put sauce like tomato or mint on good meat."

By way of immediate reply my mate said..."Yes, much better to throw petrol on it and set it alight." The Frenchman turned on his heel and went and sat in his car and wouldn't come out again. Happy days.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  2. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

3. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

R.I.P John Surtees<rose>

Incredibly won both motorcycle and F1 world championships - a staggering achievement

4. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Poch has supposedly said that Lamela may not play for us again this season.
    You have to wonder whether he may have played his last game for us. -That's a couple of lengthy spells on the sidelines since joining.

5. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

If he is sold in the summer it will not come as a surprise
    (though Lamelas' attitude cannot be faulted) .

Roo likes this.
  6. "Thanks for that Brian"

That's so sad. He was a complete gentleman and a mechanical genius. He was the man who tamed the MV Agusta 500cc 4 cylinder engine. That bike went on to win the world GP title for 17 consecutive years after, due to Surtees refining it and making the brute power ridable. He then drove for Ferrari and won the F1 title. How he didn't get a knighthood is totally beyond me.

A year or so ago he appeared on a show with Paul Hollywood whose greatest ambition was to ride Surtees' MV. He was allowed to do so which is some honour considering the value of it and its significance. He looked in great health then.

To Britain's greatest motor sports competitor. Thanks to a true great.

deedub93 and littleDinosaurLuke like this.
  7. "Thanks for that Brian"

Sorry, but MV Agusta's are one of the great loves of my life. Particularly, the big 4 cylinder machines like this, the original one that Surtees transformed into an unbeatable racing machine. MV Agusta, far from cashing in on the win and producing something similar to go on the road, refused to make anything like it at all for over a decade because they didn't want people using their developments and sheer perfection in putting them together against them. Many years later, when they did build something bigger, they used a driveshaft rather than a chain to slow it up a bit.

John Surtees brilliance took racing bikes from this:

please log in to view this image

To this:

please log in to view this image

littleDinosaurLuke likes this.
  8. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

9. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

He's got the right attitude and I'm sensing its a philosophy at the club nowadays. I can see how it can work. The bit where he says he's not interested in past achievements, its about the next one.

That's hungry thinking.

10. Tilly'sowner

Tilly'sowner Well-Known Member

Am I missing something with Lamela? I know he's injured, there was there incident with his brother and his dog died, rumours that he may be gay (so what!) but I'm getting the sense that there's something else. Earlier news about going to his old club for treatment too sounded suspicious.

I genuinely hope he's ok...I quite like the player!

11. "Thanks for that Brian"

Wales beat Ireland in a brutal encounter. It's been an unpredictable 6 Nations thus far.

12. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

He does seem to be a player who takes a long time to recover from injuries, for example the back injury he picked up in his first season with us ruled him out for half the season

As for the rumours of him being gay, I think his other half (who he's been dating for seven years) might have something to say about that...

13. England on fire in the first half of Calcutta Cup. Superb throughout and 3 lovely tries :emoticon-0148-yes:

14. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Scotland talked a good game beforehand

15. Would have been even worse had they got a red rather yellow card after 2 mins!!

16. Barca suffering a PSG hangover in Galicia this afternoon..... after the Lord Mayors Show..... <laugh>

17. The RDBD

As Brian Moore said, Daly landing on his shoulders spared the player the red.
    So it did not spoil the nature of Englands' performance over the entire game.

So onwards to Dublin : ABE vs England. :)

18. Will be a cracker - and I have a ticket!! <diva>
    On the Daly incident, while I agree that beating Scotland with 15 is all the more satisfying, there is an anomaly in the law in my opinion as the offence has been previously deemed worthy of a red if the player has landed on his upper back, based on the offending players lack of control over his opponent - thereby risking the most serious of injury. It was a very reckless challenge at best and was clearly a deliberate 'place-setter' that early in the game.

19. The RDBD

The irony of the decision is not lost on me given what happened to Daly vs Argentina
    (IMHO his was far less aggressive than yesterday) .

Spur of the Moment likes this.
: #spursy