1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Big mig

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by Miketyson2007, May 21, 2011.

1. MartinhoCAFC

MartinhoCAFC Member

Big Mig was simply the best of a bad bunch at CB but even then Mig's not good enough to get us into the Championship

What this really does is expose just how alarming the situation is at CB

2. Tewkesbury Addick

Tewkesbury Addick Active Member

There's another way of looking at the centre back situation, not just at this club, but in the entire league.

This season, how many centre backs did you see that put in a performance so good you looked in the programme or on the big screen for their name?

I saw fifteen games and did this once all season.

I really don't think our situation is hugely different from a lot of clubs around us - there's a lot of very average players in this league.

3. Scratchingvalleycat

Scratchingvalleycat Active Member

I'm with Mike on this one, I think Mig was undrused last season by both Powell and Parkinson and the team always worked better with him in it. Don't understand why he didn't gert on with CP but towards the eand of the season, when on the bench, he seemed to spend most of the time sat away from the dug out. . I would have liked to see him paired with Mambo at the back but I fear he will go and only hope that we can bring in talent to address the problems we have there.

4. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

So at the moment our only CB pairing is Mambo & Doherty. Oh and Harry Osborne who is a genuine prospect but is 17.

5. WWOCB

WWOCB Active Member

Sadly Super, again I wouldn't agree :p this time on Sam Sodje, whilst he was a pacy CB and a genuine attacking threat, I simply did not rate him that highly. He was a constant liability, always taking down the last man and his positional sense was so poor. I did like having him, just only as a squad player.

I agree with all the posts saying how poor the quality in this league is, however I would rather not compare us to other teams as quite simply, we should be miles ahead of them in terms of quality.

The best football I've seen since we landed in this league were the first 6 or so games last season, when we went on an undefeated streak. We really seemed like a championship team playing League One opposition, and it was a genuine pleasure to watch.

6. MartinhoCAFC

MartinhoCAFC Member

and that's probably once more than any opposing team's fans thought of our CB's which isn't good enough. The only standout performance was Big Mig away at Leyton Orient. Our 2nd lowest ever finish in the club's history is not acceptable it's not good enough for our players to only just be on a par with Yeovil and Carlisle with all due respect to them.

Granted yes in our club's history we do have the odd stint in this division but the key word is stint, we do not want to become known as the League 1 flagship team wher we become the first name people reel off when they think of League 1 teams. We deserve better and should expect better. We've already chalked up 3 years in this league any more is unacceptable.

7. Tewkesbury Addick

Well said, Martinho.

8. Miketyson2007

Miketyson2007 Well-Known Member

Both parky and powell guilty of underusing Mig and parky shelvey also CP lack of vision to see ecclestone should of started most games not been a bench warmer...both failed miserably in my oppinion

9. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Especially strange that Eccles only got a run in the team when our season was dead.

10. Dick Van Dykes Disco Dungarees

Which away team CB did you rate then Tewks ?

11. Miketyson2007

Miketyson2007 Well-Known Member

Yep total mismanagement of ecclestone..but he was loaned to us before CP took over and after parky left..maybe thats why CP never used him.
    Quality kid who will go far god enough to of played europa league football for liverpool but not good enough to start for a mid table third teir team..JOKE

12. Tewkesbury Addick

DVDDD, his name was Smith, a really solid black guy built like a light-heavyweight boxer - sorry, the match, which was at the Valley, escapes me.

13. Dick Van Dykes Disco Dungarees

Was that the guy with the affro ?

No idea who he Played for either by he out muscled our CFs all day long

14. Tewkesbury Addick

No, shaved head and built like the side of a house. My memory is shocking these days, just can't remember the team.

15. WWOCB

WWOCB Active Member

I believe Walsall have a black defender called Smith. That's just from memory but if so it could be him :)

There was just one from me as well, and that was Grandison (think that's his name) from Tranmere. Although it may have been the sight of his name on a big banner in the Jimmy Seed stand rather than his performance which made him stand out.

16. Tewkesbury Addick

That's him - thanks WeWant <ok>

17. robcafc

robcafc Member

dont you mean ian goodison? the 38 year old most capped Jamaican player i think? HIS SHOCKING! his strong as an ox but wow if thats the way forward for you lot you need help! :emoticon-0107-sweat

18. robcafc

robcafc Member

now tranmeres dale jennings is the way forward! was injured at time played us but the kids class

19. MartinhoCAFC

MartinhoCAFC Member

Jennings is wanted at Bayern Munich....lets manage expectation levels here...

20. WWOCB

WWOCB Active Member

Yes Gradison :p and I wasn't saying he was decent or that we should sign him, I said he's the only opposition defender who's name I looked for in the programme - and that's because someone in the Jimmy Seed stand had a big banner with his name on.

I find it odd that Bayern are after a League One player :p