1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Best player of his generation

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by johnnywarksmoustache, May 19, 2011.

1. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

These are not so much teams as seasons JWM... so entries 7 and 8 are rather meaningless no? Where are the 1960 Division 2 champions? From the games I saw they were a better side than the 2000 play off winners...

2. cheddyblue

cheddyblue Member

I think possibly my favourite could be the 2000/01 finishing 5th in the prem that year , only because it was so unexpected. It must be similar to those who watched the 1961/62. Noone thought it was possible. I grew up with the late 70s early 80s and enjoyed their success but we knew they were good 'cos they were always there or thereabouts. The 2000 team had momentum but I didn't expect them to do what they did. Alot of teams do well for the first half of a newly promoted season but usually end up fighting relegation. That team got into europe. I can't think of another team thats done that (maybe bolton??).
    I went to the first match that season at white hart lane and we lost 3-1 after taking the lead, and I remember thinking if we play like that every week we'll stay up.
    Then every week we seemed to get a result and you could see confidence building and for me personally the tip of the iceberg was winning at anfiled - marcus stewart you beauty - the home of my forefathers a place from where mocking my team had haunted me down the years.

3. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

We tonked Everton 4-0 at Goodison that year as well bloody awesome!

4. Tractor Boy Steve Getting Slimmer

Using Tractor Tims thread, my choice of players are:

Favourite player: Steve McCall
    Hardest Working Player: Brian Talbot
    Most Skilful player: Colin Viljoen
    Most heroic player: Brian Talbot
    Favourite goal scorer: Rod Belfit and Alan Brazil
    Nicest man to ever wear the shirt: Alan Brazil
    Best ever diver: Eric Gates (Harsh but paralell with Dalglish and Keegan)
    Hardest player: Alan Hunter
    Most pointless buy: Finidi George
    Best looking: Keith Bertschin
    Ugliest: Eric Gates son of Terry Butcher
    Best dribbler: Franz Thiessen
    Hardest shot: John Wark (Ask the posts at Wembley)
    Most creative: Jim Magilton
    Best tackler: George Burley

5. Tractor Boy Steve Getting Slimmer

I think that my fav season has to be 80/81 with the UEFA Cup win, but as CheedyBlue states, 5th in the Premier back in 2000/1 certainly gets close. Ok we won nowt apart from admirers in 2000/1, but the way that we tackled the games home and away to get those elusive wins was fantastic. Our following season was obvisously a disaster, and we were found out, more like Blackpool in this current season.
    From 1975 right through to 1985, I have several fond memories of our beloved team. Sadly several nightmare ones as well. Week in/out, I was there standing in the North Stand, gradually making my way further up the stand as I got older. Then on the away games, Maureen who use to work in the club supporters shop, always reserved me my coach ticket and match ticket iof required. The coach always had the same folk on board, and I remember Savage being the steward. I have some tales to tell, but they will go to my grave with me.
    Just remembered JC (Lived Dovercourt area!!) and Wendy as two of the gang. If only I could find them again.

Anyway, i am about to leave off fo rthe day. So i will wish you all a good weekend and catch up with ya Monday.

COYB

6. wellyblue

wellyblue Well-Known Member

was there in the old Arsenal Clock End for that, and did it go mad or what??

terracing too!<ok><ok><ok>

COYB FOYB