1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Best and worst away grounds in PL.

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Libby, Jul 30, 2017.

1. paultheplug

paultheplug Well-Known Member

I think many Spurs fans will feel like you when we move to the new stadium. The design is supposed to enhance the noise in the stadium but we will have wait and see. White Hart Lane will always be special for me though as I won't get nearly as many games at the new one and won't get the banter with the same bunch of guys

2. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

The big mistake Arsenal made when they built the Emirates was splitting everybody up who used to stand (then sit) together and sing and chant. Along with the promotion of corporate tickets and more day trippers and tourists, it meant that you were just as likely to end up sitting next to a family with young children or some Japanese tourists as you were a hardcore fan.

I used to stand on the old North Bank terrace at Highbury and that was my Mecca. Signing, chanting and jumping around with like minded people. But the Emirates lost a lot of that spirit. And it's only really at big games that the whole stadium gets into the spirit of it all, then the atmosphere rocks. But far to often it's little pockets of singing etc. What Arsenal need to do is to designate a section specifically for singing ... and maybe in the future we'll see a safe standing section, that is my dream

Spurs are doing the right thing in having a single tier at one end for the home fans, that should help with the atmosphere. But you need to make sure that those tickets are sold to diehard Spurs fans and not day trippers and prawn sarnie brigade.

3. Libby

Libby 9-0

4. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Good to see Liverpool fans backing this. It need the politicians to pull their heads out of their arses and move on this now. The last time it was discussed a couple of years ago the Sports minister at the time used some poorly chosen words about 'somebody's head on a spike' if there was ever an incident at a football ground because of rail seating. Still got a way to go I think, but I'm hopeful we'll see safe standing in PL grounds again one day.

Libby likes this.
  5. Libby

Libby 9-0

I genuinely don't think it will be that long now.

The PL have already written to clubs to see if there's interest. Wba have said they'll trial it I believe.

At the end of the day the pros far outweigh the cons (if indeed any).

I think once the criminal trials regarding Hillsborough are done then we'll begin to see movement.

6. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I've been an advocate of safe standing for around 7-8 years now. It's only political inaction that is holding it back at the moment.
    I know lots of clubs are open to the idea and are willing to trial it too. It's proven to be safe. And indeed safer than people standing up in seated areas.

Dier Hard likes this.
  7. Libby

Libby 9-0

Agreed I've wanted it for a long time too. Give people a choice.

I personally can't stand sitting at a match.

8. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Agreed fella. I've been told to sit down, stop shouting, stop swearing and be quiet at a football match ffs. It's the very reason I go to watch football, so that I can let loose and get right into the passion of the game. I know the days of the old terraces have long gone, but I feel privileged to have been lucky enough to be one of the people who used to start songs on the North Bank. Some of the best days of my life were spent jumping around and going mental with like minded footie fans on the terraces.

I understand why the terraces went. Those old grounds were dangerous and fans were treated like cattle. Hillsborough was an accident waiting to happen. If it hadn't of happened there, it would have happened somewhere else soon after. But the new rail seats are proven to be safe and as I mentioned indeed safer than people standing up in seated areas. What clubs could also do by introducing safe standing areas is give like minded football fans the opportunity to all get together again and create an atmosphere. For those who want to sit down and watch their game in a more sedate manner, there is the rest of the ground. For those like me who want to stand, sing and get a bit raucous, then there is the safe standing area.

Dier Hard and Libby like this.
  9. Libby

Libby 9-0

Exactly <ok>

I'm too young for the terraces myself but still prefer to stand though would never call for a return of that type.

For me like you say it's about giving me the choice, I've been at away games and had a 60 yr old bloke sat behind me who's asked me to sit (at your gaff) actually, don't mind that too much but it shows the problem that happens up and down the country every week.

In this case when there was a break in play I found the bloke an empty a few rows down and moved myself back but thats not always possible...

I think you'd have to have a large chunk of every away end like it too for it to work properly.

Increased capacity, improved atmosphere, better choice for supporters.

The only slight issue I can see is they'll have to be well stewarded to stop people moving around to stand with mates etc. But it's easily doable.

10. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

Best: Burnley, Crystal Palace
    Worst: Anfield

11. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Burnley during cricket season is a right laugh.

Before the match in 2015 we took over a cricket club and let the batsmen have it.

<rofl>

12. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

All grounds are great if you Win <laugh> As for standing then i loved it in my younger days but now im an old fart i prefer a seat......I can understand why they banned standing though when fans use to surge forward and those by the hand rails would get crushed. That needs to be sorted before any standing can take place.
    Also ground control is a lot easier to manage when you have an all seat stadium.....

13. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Sponsorship for the stand already confirmed.

467435847_1280x720.jpg

14. Libby

Libby 9-0

15. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

The new rail seating is basically one person behind a barrier, that has a fold up seat attached to it. There would be no surges or crushes.

16. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Lovearsenalcock, Libby and PINKIE like this.
  17. Libby

Libby 9-0

Not even worth getting into an argument about it mate.

Everyone can see how pathetic and ****ish it is.

18. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Yeah, sad really.

Football unfortunately attracts scum as well as normal folk.

Page_Moss_Kopite likes this.
  19. Libby

Libby 9-0

Sad is probably the right word, who the **** gets their kicks out of that?

20. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

Standing is old hat and it's all about health and safety now, Standing though i loved it in my younger days will never be allowed to happen unfortunately but that is progress i suppose and we must accept it...