1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Ben Godfrey

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Nov 19, 2015.

1. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

West Brom, Hull City and Cardiff City running the rule over York City starlet Ben Godfrey

please log in to view this image

PREMIER League side West Brom and Championship outfits Hull and Cardiff are all showing an interest in York City's teenage midfielder Ben Godfrey.

The Press understands all three clubs have sent representatives to run the rule over the 17-year-old former Archbishop Holgate pupil, who scored his first senior goal during Saturday's Sky Bet League Two home defeat to Plymouth Argyle.

New City chief Jackie McNamara is working hard, however, to persuade Godfrey, who is yet to sign the professional contract he was offered earlier this season, that his immediate future will be best served at his home-town club.

On that process, McNamara said: "I spoke to Ben about his contract the other day and am now aware that he's got an agent, but I've got to sit down and convince him that this is the place for him. He's started three games in a week since I came here and scored his first senior goal.

"I also have a track record of developing young players. He's only 17 and could go to a higher-division academy and not be seen for a while.

"Here, he can play football in League Two and get great experience working alongside people like Jonathan Greening."

At the age of 13, Godfrey, son of former Hull KR and York City Knights rugby league winger Alex Godfrey, was the captain of the first York Schoolboys side to win the English Schools FA Trophy at Stadium MK in 2011.

He left City's academy for Middlesbrough that summer but returned at under-15 level after being released by the North East club and having trials with Leeds United and Sheffield Wednesday.

Godfrey was then given his first-team debut by McNamara's predecessor, Russ Wilcox, during August's 1-0 home win over Yeovil and has now made ten appearances, including five starts.

Should the former Rawcliffe Juniors player decide his future lies elsewhere, the Minstermen would be entitled to a compensation fee for his services.

The amount would either be decided between City and the buying club or, if agreement could not be reached, be fixed by an independent tribunal.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/yo..._the_rule_over_York_City_starlet_Ben_Godfrey/

2. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Well-Known Member

A few of my York City supporting mates say he's alright but he doesn't stand out as something extra special. Still, early days for him.

3. Brucebones

Brucebones Well-Known Member

Watch him & see what he does, McNamara is right though, if he does leave then he won't be seen for a long time unless he is actually that good. I can't see any of the teams mentioned giving him a shot even if he is good!
    Maybe a sign him & loan back! A lot of these kids need competitive games to progress, not academy training!

4. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

That pictures ****ing weird. Godfreys the one in red?? Yes
    For one he's doing Karate Kid. And another are there three teams on the pitch?

5. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

It would seem that picture is York v Plymouth, Plymouth's kit is green/white of the front and plain green on the back.

6. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

The manager is right, he's better playing in the first team at York and developing for another season or so rather than going to an academy and becoming another forgotten footballer.

7. x

x Well-Known Member

i hate to agree with glp, but i agree with glp.

GLP likes this.
  8. Tigerned

Tigerned Active Member

Buy and loan back deal

look_back_in_amber likes this.
  9. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

This would be the better option.

If we do get him, I hope he's better than Dean Lisles, the last kid we got from York. Apparently he rejoined Ferriby this season and then sacked them off because he couldn't be arsed.

10. ellewoods

ellewoods Well-Known Member

Where is the youtube video? How can we make "accurate" player assessments without highlights that contain zero context?

dennisboothstash and GLP like this.

11. NorthFerribyTiger

NorthFerribyTiger Well-Known Member

Lisles was at Ferriby & then had a serious car accident writing off his BMW & making a mess of his leg.....when he regained fitness he was never as good as before & was given the push by Ferriby....went to Scarborough Athletic & then with the cuts at Ferriby in the summer was offered a contract back with Ferriby, not sure what happened with them this season but I don't think he's still there........all I will say is that he has a very very hot girlfriend (she's a model.....largely lingerie)

12. Brucebones

Brucebones Well-Known Member

Apparently he's at York City U13's asst coach according to his Linkdin!

13. NorthFerribyTiger

Handy as he lives in one of the York villages I believe ..... actually a fairly talented defender with an eye for goal when the chance arose, but a daft accident ruined any chance he may have had

14. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

It seems that Barnsley have just offered a £25k compensation fee for him.

15. look_back_in_amber

look_back_in_amber Well-Known Member

Aren't they all? I remember Stan McEwan's missus, Suzy, used to do that, while Stan was, erm, doing other things.

16. NorthFerribyTiger

Here is Ceri

please log in to view this image

17. Tigerned

Tigerned Active Member

25k is pittance. It would be good if we could strike some sort of deal with York and blood our youngsters there now they are back in the league. Wishful thinking I know.

18. look_back_in_amber

look_back_in_amber Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I'd need to see more to be able to make an informed decision.

I'm a very particular **** me.

19. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

They hate us, I don't think they'd be well recieved.