1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Beer and chips thread.

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by canary-dave, Mar 6, 2016.

1. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

45 minutes I believe! <laugh>

THURNBY YELLOW likes this.
  2. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

"Joking" :emoticon-0112-wonde aside, 1950, I give you two ex Norwich pubs where a half would have been more than enough of your time to get 'acquainted' <yikes>
    The New Inn on the corner of Queens Rd and Finkelgate (?) and the Lion and Castle, just through the Grapes Hill underpass in West Pottergate.
    Fortunately, for a change, the axeman cometh and closed them both down, or changed the building's use - New Inn was an oriental restaurant last time I walked past there, as was the Horse and Dray on Ber St.

3. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Went out this evening hoping to get a couple of pints of Ghost Ship, but that had just run out, so ended up drinking Exmoor Gold - very nice it was too.
    Walked past Brewdog on my way to catch the bus and it was absolutely heaving!!!!!

4. 1950canary

1950canary Well-Known Member

In my previous post I ( and also the author the 1972 book ) overlooked the Southwell Arms on Hall Road which was one of the first Courage pubs to be allowed to sell Directors and at one time was run by Greg Downes parents. Years ago, when players did not earn the fortunes they do today, the Pub trade was usual for ex-players in retirement. I can recall Bunny Larkin in the White Lion ( now the Wig and Pen ), Albert Bennett in the Norfolk Tavern and Billy Steele in the Ironmongers but I'm sure there were many more that I have forgotten. Anybody got a better memory than me?

Walsh.i.am likes this.
  5. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

I suggest this little list will keep you entertained for hours, 1950.
    [I just looked for an ex pub on Southwell Rd - hairdressers last time I was near]
    and this was the first match.
    http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/norfolk/norwich.html

ncgandy likes this.
  6. 1950canary

Good spot Cromer. That list brings back a lot of memories as well as making me realise how old I am when I see that the Pub I used to drink in when I was home from Uni on holiday closed in 1965!!!

ncgandy likes this.
  7. THURNBY YELLOW

THURNBY YELLOW Well-Known Member

It is pretty sad that pubs are disappearing so fast as it used to be a central part of British culture and the fact that they are being bought by institutions like McDonalds and supermarkets is pretty depressing. The supermarket is the real kicker because the fact that you now buy a 4 pack at roughly £1 a pint means you save a load of money but it also breaks down the interactions within society as we drink at home in isolation or with the missus.

JM Fan likes this.
  8. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

No-one likes a beer or six more than me Thurnby but I'm afraid I very rarely drink in a pub. There's only one reason why pubs are closing at the rate they are and that's the cost of a pint. I'm not too proud to admit that I simply cannot afford £4-5 for a single drink that I'd down in less than 10 minutes (well first one anyway ;)). It is sad that we have lost so many hostelries but if you're looking at a minimum spend of £50 for a good night out with the missus what do you expect. £50 will buy you approx 60 pints of PREMIUM beer in a good Supermarket

Norfolkbhoy and canary-dave like this.
  9. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Really tasty and refreshing on a hot summer's evening 5.3% ABV
    WP_20160723_001.jpg

...... and only £1.85p for 4 x 440ml from Lidll <ok>

JM Fan likes this.
  10. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

I still love a good beer in a good pub, I don't waste my time and money in Yates or soulless chain pubs unless the landlords are great and run a pub that brings in good people and a sociable atmosphere. Pubs are still fun and my local at £32 for a ten pinter still works for me. That's 4-5hrs of ents vs a footy ticket at maybe £40 for 90 mins!

Bah!

JM Fan likes this.

11. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

Hope 1950 is ok. I know he moved down near to Nice. I once rented an apartment on the Promenade des Anglais, a lovely spot.

Another despoiled by the religion of love.

12. Resurgam

Resurgam Top Analyst
    Staff Member

Sounds like the perfect reason to leave her at home while you go out and 'save' money then KIO <laugh>

13. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Yes, there are some excellent pubs in Norwich where you can get a superb pint of real ale for around £3.50 and normally 3 to 4 pints is enough for me. The youff of today wouldn't be seen dead in any of these establishments, but would rather drink in the establishments in Queen Street in Norwich and even around lunchtime yesterday, Brewdog was quite busy.

I also enjoy my footie and as I'm now of a certain age, each home game costs me just under £17 a match, so the beers still work out cheaper. I'm going to see the Coventry game on Tuesday, so with my Wetherspoons pre match steak and chips (plus an extra pint) and a pint after the match will cost me around £20 - not bad for around 4-5 hours of entertainment!!! <cheers>
    Then on Thursday I'm meeting up with some ex work colleagues for a catch up and a few beers, so that's another £15 or so for 3 hours.

General Melchett likes this.
  14. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

All trad ales in the Fishing Boat in East Runton are £2.50 a pint, and have been all year.
    Lagers and ciders are more but still way below typical pub prices.
    Just a shade over a mile from me and most times, a walk along the beach to get there is an option <ok>
    Edit - huge beer garden and Sky Sports too.
    Edit - my first 2 blackberries of the year yesterday from aforementioned beer garden.
    A tad sharp but perfectly edible.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    JM Fan and KIO like this.
  15. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Just a bit too far to drive. I'll have to plan a trip to the coast by bus, go for a walk along the coast and stop off there before catching a bus back to Norwich!!! :emoticon-0167-beer:

16. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Well if you do, let me know and if convenient we can liaise on a jar?
    You can walk the beach all the way from Sheringham (tide dependent, of course), rock pools galore and at very low tide, much of the famous chalk reef becomes exposed - quite something <ok>

17. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Yes, that was my plan and I'll check up on the bus times maybe around mid August and when the tides are right to be able to do the coast walk!!!

18. 1950canary

I am fit and well thank you very much. I don't now live in Nice but in the area behind Nice in the foothills hence my lack of reliable broadband and was not in Nice when the attack took place. As you know the area you might know where I am typing this - the Bar Magnan. If you walk along the Promenade des Anglais with the sea on the right to where it ends and turn left, the Bar Magnan is about 50 yards up the road of the corner of Avenue de la Californie. I come here a lot to get internet access. Thank you for your concern and best wishes to you all.

DHCanary, JM Fan, Walsh.i.am and 3 others like this.
  19. Resurgam

Resurgam Top Analyst
    Staff Member

.......and better crabs :)

20. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Just renamed the old "Bad news for beer drinkers" thread to this one - so maybe any subsequent goss about ale and scoff can all live in one place - after, all they're both important in the bigger picture <ok>
    On which note, there were about 30 people queuing for No 1 chippy sit down area...and at least 100 for the take-away bit when I just came past.
    Wait until Wednesday week, Cromer carnival day <yikes> <doh>

DHCanary likes this.