1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic BBQ

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Nacho, May 22, 2017.

1. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

So it looks like some nice weather is on the way and like a lot of you I'll be cracking out the BBQ and burning meat.

However my skills are fairly basic and I'd like to be able to do some next level quality food so I'd appreciate any pro tips anyone has to share whether it's techniques or recipes.

Cheers

IMG_0971.JPG

2. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

I'm the BBQ king. Whole point of it is to smoke the food as you cook it. Nobody seems to use the lids of BBQs, there's this daft nationwide obsession with having the food uncovered and on show as it's cooking. This goes against everything the bbq stands for.

So let your coals burn out so there's no flame and they're completely white and the peak heat has subsided. If you're feeling fancy throw some damp oak or cherry chippings onto the coals, this will give your food a richer smokier flavour, put your seasoned/marinaded meat on, then put the lid on. You want to cook it slow so keep an eye on temp gauge and don't let it go too high. Use the vents to let heat escapes if needed. If it's too hot your coals will reignite when you open the vents as you let the oxygen flood back in so it's important you don't let it go too high.

Lay off the fats too like cheap processed meat. The oil will just reignite the coals and burn the outside of the food before the inside is cooked. Go for proper cuts of meat and give them some tlc. You won't regret it. <ok>:D

Smug in Boots and Nacho like this.
  3. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I was hoping you'd reply good tips.

Brian Storm likes this.
  4. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

F*ck me Bri you deserve a Michelin star for BBQ ing

Brian Storm likes this.
  5. Brian Storm

You know in a sauna if you pour the water it gives off heat. Similar thing applies in BBQ with the smoke. Drizzle some infused Oil (Olive oil, garlic, lime juice and black pepper for me) over the coals and replace the lid and the Smoke will instantly absorb the flavor in of your oil and transfer it to your meat. Use olive oil though, it has a lower burn temp(smoke point) than stuff like sunflower oil. So it won't stick around prolonging flames and rasing the temp too much, instead it burns straight off transferring to the smoke.

My sister married a Brazilian lass. I've been very lucky to have her mentor me for a few cooks. ;)

Gil T Azell and Nacho like this.
  6. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

See it would never have occurred to me to drizzle anything on the coals for flavour but it makes perfect sense. I hope the weather forecasts are roughly accurate and I can give it a go.

7. Brian Storm

I just use a teaspoon per drizzle, lid straight down superb. I use dry rubs by the way unless it's steak. If you're going with oil based marinades(olive oil based) it will smoke itself without the need to drizzle. With steak i simply season with salt and drizzle, its gorgeous.

You've got me right in the mood. Haven't had one yet. Usually have one a week. Going to dig a bbq pit when I move.

8. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I had tea a while ago and haven't felt the need for another bite but this thread is making my mouth water haha. No better food on the planet then good quality meat cooked well.

Brian Storm likes this.
  9. Brian Storm

Amen to that fella.

Nacho likes this.
  10. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

It sounds patronising but I genuinely feel sorry for vegetarians. Poor bastards.

11. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

The fact that they wont eat bacon tells you all you need to know mate.

12. Brian Storm

My ex wife was a veggie which pretty much made me one out of convenience. Was pretty easy tbh. It's when you start eating it again. Wow! It completely blows your mind. I'll never give up meat again though.

13. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

I always let guests BBQ if they like to and I sit there cringing most of the time.

As you say it's,
    'Lid off to let the heat vanish, press down hard on the burgers to squeeze out every drop of moisture and encourage lots of flame to scorch everything'.

I'm sure most people think the lid is so you can leave it out in all weathers but keep the scabby remnants of coal intact <doh>

Brian Storm likes this.
  14. Brian Storm

When nearly every man in the country suddenly thinks he's the supper chef before as you say, Puffing out the chest, stepping up, and proceed to murder every bit of meat they can lay their hands on.

15. Brian Storm

16. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

17. Brian Storm

please log in to view this image

Gil T Azell likes this.
  18. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Same here, you can tell it all tastes great.

I was a bit gutted to find out that mine doesn't even have a lid so that's out for me. I might buy a smaller one or look for a BBQ and fire pit combi as we want a fire pit so we can sit outside getting drunk without being cold.

Gil T Azell and Brian Storm like this.
  19. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

My mate has just spend about £15k on his back garden, built a kitchen BBQ area with a pizza oven, fridge etc intergrated, under a canopy, four heaters, decking, Wi-Fi, speakers, and a spa complete with gazebo. It is first class. He is replacing the spa with a bigger hot tub (but needs to hire a crane cost £750 to lift it over his roof as no access).

Been there, burgers, beer and spa. You can't beat it. Its like Hollywood. I've got the pics but ain't posting them, some twat will abuse them <laugh>

20. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow